Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya Euro Truck Class >

Tamiya Euro Truck Class

Like Tree808Likes

Tamiya Euro Truck Class

Old 07-06-2022, 07:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by TonysScrews View Post
At our local outdoor asphalt track we started a "Super Euro Truck" class. But we didn't want it to get out of control, so we took the lead from the folks running "Box Stock" (TCS) and modified trucks in Europe and came up with our own rule set for the Super Euro Truck class. It's been a blast! The trucks really move and the costs have been kept down.

Super Euro Truck Class:
TAM 53068 - Tamiya "Sport-Tuned" motor (23T motor rated at 18,300 RPMs. Stock "Torque-Tuned" is a 25T rated at 16,000 RPMs)
TAM 54026 - Tamiya blue aluminum center shaft and out drive shafts (must have with the added RPMs and open gearing)
TAM 53619 - Tamiya oil filled shocks (optional Tamiya springs allowed) (makes a HUGE difference handling)
TAM 53666 - Tamiya aluminum motor mount (not necessary)
TAM 53662 - Tamiya turnbuckle tie rod kit (not necessary, just another tuning option)
TAM 53569 - Tamiya aluminum wheel hexes (not necessary)
TAM 53673 - Tamiya 2* rear toe-in uprights (not necessary, just another tuning option)

Open Gearing: Tamiya options only with OEM plastic or optional aluminum mount (55, 58 & 61T Spur gears and 19 through 28T pinions).
* with the Sport-Tuned motor and USGT tires most guys are running 25/58 or 25/55 on the large outdoor asphalt track we run on

Tamiya bodies, MonTech and Bittydesigns Truck bodies

Gravity R/C USGT Tires (or you can run the OEM Euro Truck tires)

OEM Tamiya or HobbyWing 1060 ESC only.

Shimming is allowed to take out slop in drive train.

ProTek 100C HV LiPo Stick pack

Last Thursday night we ran on-road. In qualifying the fastest lap times:
Stock Euro Truck class - 20.381
Super Euro Truck class - 18.555
In the mains:
Stock Euro Truck class - 20.164
Super Euro Truck class - 18.341
TonysScrews This is a very modest step up from the base Euro Truck rules. I like it. Not a ton of money to move to a more tunable and faster platform.

The lap time difference is impressive.
TonysScrews and 1spunspur like this.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 94SRUNNER View Post
TonysScrews This is a very modest step up from the base Euro Truck rules. I like it. Not a ton of money to move to a more tunable and faster platform.

The lap time difference is impressive.
It's a lot of fun and very affordable (I edited my original post and added prices from Amain). Our Super Euro Trucks were actually faster than all but the fastest two VTA cars and they're running 25.5 brushless motors and ESC's with a car body. I think once we get settled on the gearing, shock set up and diff setup we can get quite a bit more out of them. We also have a few VERY FAST on-road guys that have been racing for 30+ years that haven't gotten their hands on one yet..LOL
94SRUNNER likes this.

Last edited by TonysScrews; 07-07-2022 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-18-2022, 07:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Default FDR

Per TCS rules it says ďbox stockĒ gearing but is that something that is strict at TCS events and at club level or can you gear to track?

I put one together, eliminated the bullet plugs and hardwired the esc to the motor for neatness but once I looked at the rules this is not allowed so Iíll have to go back and change unless at TCS events they donít care. I donít think it will be an issue at my local track.
Old 07-18-2022, 07:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by chuck in indy View Post
Per TCS rules it says ďbox stockĒ gearing but is that something that is strict at TCS events and at club level or can you gear to track?

I put one together, eliminated the bullet plugs and hardwired the esc to the motor for neatness but once I looked at the rules this is not allowed so Iíll have to go back and change unless at TCS events they donít care. I donít think it will be an issue at my local track.
If you run in a TCS sanctioned event, you must run stock gearing and the bullet connectors from the ESC to the motor.
mrreet2001 and gigaplex like this.
Old 07-18-2022, 08:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

At Galaxy RC Racers in the Seattle area, we do tech for wires and gearing, but only for TCS. Weíre serious about keeping the competition within the rules.

For club racing weíre pretty lax and use TCS rules as a guide, but we donít tech.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 07-18-2022, 08:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Rules

Good points, thank you.

I will convert everything back to total TCS compliance on my next build, for now Iíll just keep what I have as is, I think my local track is pretty lax. I was just curious what everyone was doing. I look forward to running this class as it seems like itís pretty straight forward rules wise.

While I have my share of toys itís nice to see a class where everything is inexpensive and as close to the same as possible.

😃

angrymelon and 94SRUNNER like this.
Old 07-18-2022, 08:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Good points, thank you.

I will convert everything back to total TCS compliance on my next build, for now Iíll just keep what I have as is, I think my local track is pretty lax. I was just curious what everyone was doing. I look forward to running this class as it seems like itís pretty straight forward rules wise.

While I have my share of toys itís nice to see a class where everything is inexpensive and as close to the same as possible.

😃

Looks good.

Where in Indy are you racing?
Old 07-18-2022, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm pretty sure the fan and removal of the heat shield isn't TCS legal either.

Good points, thank you.

😃

gigaplex and JoshuaRC10 like this.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:34 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mrreet2001 View Post
I'm pretty sure the fan and removal of the heat shield isn't TCS legal either.
That's correct, at least how Galaxy reads:
16.2 The kit must be built EXACTLY per the instruction manual.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:36 AM
Tech Regular

Good points, thank you.

😃

I've had the most fun racing Euro Trucks when compared to everything else I've run (and I've run p much everything). There are a few classes that are more fun to drive, but the racing in Euro Truck has the potential to be so much closer across skill levels than anything else I've entered. Though my experience is definitely colored by the fact that I've had a pretty winning history in Euro Truck locally, but everyone that runs it in our club has a lot of fun with it.
angrymelon and 94SRUNNER like this.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Euro in Indy

I hang out at Indy RC when I can.

The pics from that build are before I read the rules thoroughly, the next will be 100% compliant, thanks for comments.
JoshuaRC10 and 94SRUNNER like this.
Old 08-03-2022, 09:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I just built my kit for this weekend - what weight fluid should I use in the diffs? 100k front and leave the rear empty/lightly greased?
Old 08-03-2022, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raguvian View Post
I just built my kit for this weekend - what weight fluid should I use in the diffs? 100k front and leave the rear empty/lightly greased?
What surface are you running on? Though I don't think the setups vary much, usually whatever the thickest fluid you have in the front and something to give some resistance in the back. You don't want the back locked up, but you don't want it 100% free either.
Raguvian and 94SRUNNER like this.
Old 08-03-2022, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JCarr View Post
What surface are you running on? Though I don't think the setups vary much, usually whatever the thickest fluid you have in the front and something to give some resistance in the back. You don't want the back locked up, but you don't want it 100% free either.
It will be on asphalt.

What should I use for the rear? I figure anything much lighter than 100k will leak out. Maybe more grease?
Old 08-03-2022, 11:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raguvian View Post
It will be on asphalt.

What should I use for the rear? I figure anything much lighter than 100k will leak out. Maybe more grease?
Yeah, I used anything between 5k and 20k and it leaks out pretty quick. I tried the Lucas red and tacky grease and liked that, it also doesn't leak out quickly.
Raguvian likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.