Search
Like Tree867Likes

Tamiya Euro Truck Class

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2022, 11:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Straight Zapping magnets( no advance timing zap) only increase torque and efficiency while rpms vary slightly: legal...
It's a fixed gearing class. Zapping it for more torque will take away RPM, which will likely make it slower. Zapping it for less torque to increase RPMs is explicitly illegal in the TCS rules (motor rule 7.6). And it's explicitly illegal to zap it for advanced timing too (motor rule 7.5).
Old 06-27-2022, 04:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I use the ProTek 160T low-profile servos in my Euro Trucks. They make mad torque and very fast. Not sure if the TCS rules specify what type of servo to use (standard size versus low-profile) so someone else can share their thoughts on that. If you buy a new kit they now come with the HobbyWing 1060 ESC's. They don't have that extra orange brushless sensor wire like the Tamiya TBLE ESC's. For me, the performance is night and day difference between the ESC's. Better throttle response and way better brakes. For motors, check out KHD Speedlab (https://www.facebook.com/KHD-Speedla...68/?__tn__=-UC) George breaks in the motors and dyno's them. This past weekend they had a TCS race in Western PA (i think, or maybe eastern OH) and KHD powered trucks took top three spots. After the race they conducted TECH on the motors and several guys there failed TECH with exceeded RPM's but all the KHD motors passed TECH. As for option parts, the aluminum motor mount is not legal. Only legal options are: Tamiya heavy duty servo-saver, bearings and you can change out the Tamiya plug for a Dean's plug. Our local track we run LiPo stick packs on the outdoor for asphalt so everyone runs the ProTek 100C LiPo stick pack. For indoors on carpet in the winter we run NiMh stick packs.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here is a link to the TCS rules on TamiyaUSA's website - https://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs/rules/

I would suggest everyone read the entire rule set and pay close attention to any rules that apply directly to the Euro truck class. These rules are updated regularly. Do not only get your information from online forums as the posts may contain outdated or incomplete information. Here is some information I have copied directly from the TCS Eurotruck rules as they exist on June 27, 2022

16.3 The ONLY Hop-Op Options permitted are Ball Bearings (ANY BRAND), and any Tamiya servo saver.

16.16 Any Tamiya Hi-Torque Servo Saver is Permitted.

16.7 Battery connector on ESC may be changed to DEANS type or XT-60.
I also recommend that anyone attending any TCS race confirm if there are any event specific rules or exceptions. For example some events have allowed different tires and/or tire prep to create better or more fair racing at that specific venue.
angrymelon, gigaplex and 94SRUNNER like this.
Old 06-27-2022, 05:52 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by gigaplex
It's a fixed gearing class. Zapping it for more torque will take away RPM, which will likely make it slower. Zapping it for less torque to increase RPMs is explicitly illegal in the TCS rules (motor rule 7.6). And it's explicitly illegal to zap it for advanced timing too (motor rule 7.5).
It's all about corner to corner acceleration where torque is needed for these overweight machines: forget rpms and true all your rubber tires...
Is it legal to only use two satellite gears inside the gear diffs for less weight or lighten foam inserts in the tires???
Old 06-27-2022, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

It's all about corner to corner acceleration where torque is needed for these overweight machines: forget rpms and true all your rubber tires...
Is it legal to only use two satellite gears inside the gear diffs for less weight or lighten foam inserts in the tires???
No, it's about top speed. They are low on traction so they're throttle limited out of most corners.

It's not legal to leave gears out.

There's no foams.

This is a class you clearly don't know about.
angrymelon, gigaplex and 94SRUNNER like this.
Old 06-27-2022, 09:34 PM
Tech Champion

That class ran a while back at 360v2 in NY, and many racers were complaining that certain trucks were way too fast out of the corners, and passing others in the beginning of the straight...I knew right then that some magnets were fully charged vs the competition...We had fun watching lots of racers get blown by though, and nobody had a clue....lol...There has to be a few videos of those races somewhere.....The class disappeared afterwards....
Old 06-27-2022, 10:33 PM
Tech Champion

That class ran a while back at 360v2 in NY, and many racers were complaining that certain trucks were way too fast out of the corners, and passing others in the beginning of the straight...I knew right then that some magnets were fully charged vs the competition...We had fun watching lots of racers get blown by though, and nobody had a clue....lol...There has to be a few videos of those races somewhere.....The class disappeared afterwards....
No, it wasn't about magnets. The ones accelerating harder had more traction.
Old 06-28-2022, 12:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gigaplex
No, it wasn't about magnets. The ones accelerating harder had more traction.
The one I noticed, were the guys who could get the chassis flatter, would have less wheel spin, and go.. a LOT faster.

Sometimes I could do it. The fast guys could do it every lap.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 06-28-2022, 10:20 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Man, you guys took the Bert bait. He’s been on my ignore list since 2011 for a reason. Lol.

Rick Vessell likes this.

Last edited by RCBuddha; 06-28-2022 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-28-2022, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

For anyone reading this thread, here are some specific rules that pertain to the diffs in the TCS Eurotruck class.

This first rule pertains to all Tamiya vehicles being raced at TCS events
3.17 Internal Drive Gears: You must use the internal drive gears called out in the chassis assembly manual. The internal drive gears, of ANY chassis platform, may not be altered, changed, or modified, unless it is done with the Tamiya Hop-Up Options designed for that specific purpose. Using different Pulley, Ring, and Pinion gears, from different chassis platforms, to create a hybrid internal drive ratio is not allowed. Furthermore, you are not allowed to file, machine, or Dremel the gear drive line to squeeze in a bigger pinion, and spur gear.
The Tamiya Eurotruck class is a "BOX STOCK" class that only allow you to "hop-up" bearings or servo savers (see my previous post). Therefore this specific rule for Eurotruck would not allow you to remove any planetary gears in the stock TT-01 diff
16.2 The kit must be built EXACTLY per the instruction manual.
The TT-01 diff only uses 3 planetary gears, so there probably would be no benefit to removing any of them as it might make it unbalanced. Anyone who needs to download the TT-01E manual can find it at the following Tamiya website

https://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm

Please refer to step 5 on page 5 to view the instructions on how to assemble a TT-01 diff.

----------

Please note that while the TT-02 diff does use 4 planetary gears, it would not be legal for TCS Eurotruck racing (due to rule 16.2)

I would like to add that it is perfectly legal to apply grease or lube to diff gears per the following rule
16.15 Any grease, or lube may be used to lubricate gears, or moving parts.
Using different viscosity lube inside the gear diff has been legal at the TCS races that I've attended. This has allow many racers to slow down the diff action of the front diff to help pull the trucks out of the corner. But beware these are not sealed diffs so THEY WILL LEAK. You do want thick oil to leak into the bearings supporting the diffs.

I have raced against some very good TT-01 drivers who never put any grease inside their diffs and they were able carry speed/beat me out of the corners just from good car control.

----------

The Tamiya Eurotruck is a unique driving experience. It has large side-wall tires with no inserts. It has a top heavy body that will make the vehicle want to roll or dive in the corners. It has plactic friction dampers that can cause the car to bounce into/out of the corners. It is not a typcial touring car and should not be driven as such. Again it is unique driving experience that can be very fun when raced against other legal Eurotrucks.

If you read entirely through this thread you will find all of the different legal ways to get the most out of these vehicles. There really aren't that many. Glue the sidewalls if racing on high traction carpet. Use traction compound when racing on carpet (or not if the grip levels are high). Use high viscosity diff lube to manage the diff action (or don't if you like open diffs). And mostly just adapt your driving style to the unique handling.

Anyone should be able to build one of these vehicles and have fun while on a budget. Get one, take it out to the track, and have fun with it.
Old 07-01-2022, 11:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Well I did some more work on this rig earlier in the week. I found the rear control arms were flipped so it had the incorrect wheel base. It also seems to have short rear wheel axles and should have long ones? The wheels fit but there is just enough thread to get the nut on. Now I just need to get the correct front body mounts and my servo swapped out for something quicker and lighter.
Old 07-03-2022, 02:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by TonysScrews
. Our local track we run LiPo stick packs on the outdoor for asphalt so everyone runs the ProTek 100C LiPo stick pack. For indoors on carpet in the winter we run NiMh stick packs.
Why NiMh on carpet?
gigaplex likes this.
Old 07-04-2022, 06:37 PM
Tech Elite

One of the rules for TCS Euro-Truck racing is that you CANNOT add any additional weight to the car as ballast...

16.12 Minimum weight: NONE. No weights, of ANY KIND, may be put on the truck for ballast.
My understanding of this rule is that a heavier Euro-Truck can in some instances improve handling and/or acceleration. Since you are prohibited from adding ballast, you could use a heavier battery to help balance a car or improve mechanical grip. I could see extra weight helping at facilities with very low grip carpet or places that don't allow traction additives.

There are no rules preventing anyone from running a heavier battery, but there can be a point where any advantage gained by weight will be lost due to having to move/accelerate a heavy car. Some examples might be additional motor heat, additional tire wear or loss in battery performance due to having to accelerate a heavier vehicle

I would suspect that someone at a previous TCS event had an excessive amount of ballast added to their vehicle that was either a perceived or real advantage. While this is a good use of "thinking outside the box", it does goes against what I feel is the "spirit" of this type of racing. Since this class is welcome to all level of racers, you don't want to create a perception for novices that there is a need to spend extra money or time trying to circumvent rules to gain additional performance.

I will emphasize that there is nothing preventing any facility or club from running a Semi-Truck based class using whatever rules make sense for them. I am sure there are some clubs that have opened up this type of class to any touring car chassis, any Tamiya hop-ups, or any electronics which would include faster motors. But for TCS Racing the current set of rules work surprisingly well.
angrymelon and 94SRUNNER like this.
Old 07-06-2022, 05:16 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 94SRUNNER
Why NiMh on carpet?
The indoor track is very small so no need for the extra punch that comes from the LiPo packs. Also it make sit more cost effective for newbies.
94SRUNNER likes this.
Old 07-06-2022, 05:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
One of the rules for TCS Euro-Truck racing is that you CANNOT add any additional weight to the car as ballast...

My understanding of this rule is that a heavier Euro-Truck can in some instances improve handling and/or acceleration. Since you are prohibited from adding ballast, you could use a heavier battery to help balance a car or improve mechanical grip. I could see extra weight helping at facilities with very low grip carpet or places that don't allow traction additives.

There are no rules preventing anyone from running a heavier battery, but there can be a point where any advantage gained by weight will be lost due to having to move/accelerate a heavy car. Some examples might be additional motor heat, additional tire wear or loss in battery performance due to having to accelerate a heavier vehicle

I would suspect that someone at a previous TCS event had an excessive amount of ballast added to their vehicle that was either a perceived or real advantage. While this is a good use of "thinking outside the box", it does goes against what I feel is the "spirit" of this type of racing. Since this class is welcome to all level of racers, you don't want to create a perception for novices that there is a need to spend extra money or time trying to circumvent rules to gain additional performance.

I will emphasize that there is nothing preventing any facility or club from running a Semi-Truck based class using whatever rules make sense for them. I am sure there are some clubs that have opened up this type of class to any touring car chassis, any Tamiya hop-ups, or any electronics which would include faster motors. But for TCS Racing the current set of rules work surprisingly well.
At our local outdoor asphalt track we started a "Super Euro Truck" class. But we didn't want it to get out of control, so we took the lead from the folks running "Box Stock" (TCS) and modified trucks in Europe and came up with our own rule set for the Super Euro Truck class. It's been a blast! The trucks really move and the costs have been kept down.

Super Euro Truck Class:
TAM 53068 ($24.00) - Tamiya "Sport-Tuned" motor (23T motor rated at 18,300 RPMs. Stock "Torque-Tuned" is a 25T rated at 16,000 RPMs)
TAM 54026 ($16.50) - Tamiya blue aluminum center shaft and out drive shafts (must have with the added RPMs and open gearing)
TAM 53619 ($25.99) - Tamiya oil filled shocks (optional Tamiya springs allowed @ $15) (makes a HUGE difference handling)
TAM 53163 ($14.49) - Tamiya on-road tuned spring set (or TAM 53440 spring set) (not necessary, just another tuning option)
TAM 53666 ($10.50) - Tamiya aluminum motor mount (not necessary)
TAM 53662 ($8.29) - Tamiya turnbuckle tie rod kit (not necessary, just another tuning option)
TAM 53569 ($24.99) - Tamiya aluminum wheel hexes (not necessary)
TAM 53673 ($15.50) - Tamiya 2* rear toe-in uprights (not necessary, just another tuning option)

Open Gearing: Tamiya options only with OEM plastic or optional aluminum mount.
TAM 53665 $10.50) - Tamiya 55T & 58T spur gears (or the stock 61T)
TAM 50356 ($7.79) - Tamiya 20T & 21T pinion
TAM 50357 ($7.79) - Tamiya 22T & 23T pinion
TAM 50477 ($7.79) - Tamiya 24T & 25T pinion
TAM 54228 ($7.79) - Tamiya 26T & 27T pinion
TAM 54229 ($7.79) - Tamiya 28T & 29T pinion (can't use the 29T)
* with the Sport-Tuned motor and USGT tires most guys are running 25/58 or 25/55 on the large outdoor asphalt track we run on

Tamiya bodies, MonTech and Bittydesigns Truck bodies

Gravity R/C USGT Tires ($24.99) (or you can run the OEM Euro Truck tires)

OEM Tamiya or HobbyWing 1060 ESC only.

Shimming is allowed to take out slop in drive train.

ProTek 100C HV LiPo Stick pack

Last Thursday night we ran on-road. In qualifying the fastest lap times:
Stock Euro Truck class - 20.381
Super Euro Truck class - 18.555
In the mains:
Stock Euro Truck class - 20.164
Super Euro Truck class - 18.341

Last edited by TonysScrews; 07-07-2022 at 08:33 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.