Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya Euro Truck Class >

Tamiya Euro Truck Class

Like Tree868Likes

Tamiya Euro Truck Class

Old 05-24-2020, 10:27 AM
  #1231  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
eR1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,479
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

NP,
I just PM'd you back.

eR1c is offline  
Old 06-19-2020, 09:43 AM
  #1232  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
eR1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,479
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

How many of you who race the Euro truck use a fan?
I have been racing the original Euro truck for the past several years w/ a fan, however my son has been using it for the past season. I decided to build one of the Fatfox versions while we were sheltering in place. I have it built and weighed it, w/ the body and compared to my original Euro it is a solid 40grams lighter. Thinking lighter will be an advantage, so debating whether a fan is worth it. The silver cans run cool, yet not sure if there is any fade in performance as it gets warm... ...thoughts fan to keep it cool vs. weight gain from not running a fan?
eR1c is offline  
Old 06-19-2020, 09:52 AM
  #1233  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 406
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by eR1c
How many of you who race the Euro truck use a fan?
I have been racing the original Euro truck for the past several years w/ a fan, however my son has been using it for the past season. I decided to build one of the Fatfox versions while we were sheltering in place. I have it built and weighed it, w/ the body and compared to my original Euro it is a solid 40grams lighter. Thinking lighter will be an advantage, so debating whether a fan is worth it. The silver cans run cool, yet not sure if there is any fade in performance as it gets warm... ...thoughts fan to keep it cool vs. weight gain from not running a fan?
i find weight actually helps. but I’ve never run a fan and I consistently win local and regional truck races (PNW TCS last summer, local club season overall, ‘outlaw’ trucks at our annual indoor event, and second at Roar regionals that added TCS spec trucks).

That said, if you’re running TCS rules, fans are illegal.
JoshuaRC10 is offline  
Old 06-19-2020, 10:12 AM
  #1234  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
eR1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,479
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Thanks, so it sounds like a fan doesn't help with motor cooling as the motor doesn't get hot enough to cause performance fade. I plan to get my new Euro to a track (work permitting) next week for some practice so will experiment w/ various setups.

We do follow TCS rules at our clubs and races,
however according to the TCS rules, under "Motor Rules" #4 states that 2 fans may be used on any vehicle, 1 for the ESC and 1 for the motor. Here is what it says:
---------------
"4. The use of any manufacturer’s cooling fan is legal. However, the fan must be no larger than 1.5 in. X 1.5 in. or 40mm square, and must run off the receiver or direct from the main battery pack. It is ILLEGAL to have a secondary battery to power the fan. No more than 2 fans total are permitted in a vehicle. This includes the speed control fan."
--------------
Unless I've interpreted this incorrectly no where does it state you can not use a fan under the specific rules for the Euro Truck class and in fact it clearly states that a fan under Motor rules is fine to use.

Note, I am not trying to debate or cause an uproar over this interpretation (people on these boards get cray-cray when discussing rules).
I'd just like to understand the rules.
messn03 likes this.
eR1c is offline  
Old 06-19-2020, 10:14 AM
  #1235  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
eR1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,479
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I am guessing your referring to items #1 and #2 under the Euro truck specific rules:
  1. The kit must be built EXACTLY per the instruction manual.
  2. The ONLY Hop-Op Options permitted are Ball Bearings (ANY BRAND) and any Tamiya servo saver.

I can see how #2 could cancel out or eliminate the use of a fan under the general motor rules. That makes sense, ...in any case it doesn't sound like a fan would help much anyway, so I'll plan to run w/o to stay extra compliant w/ TCS.
JoshuaRC10 likes this.
eR1c is offline  
Old 06-19-2020, 10:19 AM
  #1236  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 406
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by eR1c
Thanks, so it sounds like a fan doesn't help with motor cooling as the motor doesn't get hot enough to cause performance fade. I plan to get my new Euro to a track (work permitting) next week for some practice so will experiment w/ various setups.

We do follow TCS rules at our clubs and races,
however according to the TCS rules, under "Motor Rules" #4 states that 2 fans may be used on any vehicle, 1 for the ESC and 1 for the motor. Here is what it says:
---------------
"4. The use of any manufacturer’s cooling fan is legal. However, the fan must be no larger than 1.5 in. X 1.5 in. or 40mm square, and must run off the receiver or direct from the main battery pack. It is ILLEGAL to have a secondary battery to power the fan. No more than 2 fans total are permitted in a vehicle. This includes the speed control fan."
--------------
Unless I've interpreted this incorrectly no where does it state you can not use a fan under the specific rules for the Euro Truck class and in fact it clearly states that a fan under Motor rules is fine to use.

Note, I am not trying to debate or cause an uproar over this interpretation (people on these boards get cray-cray when discussing rules).
I'd just like to understand the rules.
i agree that heat isn’t a problem. I’ve run 20 minute heats with our trucks and not seen any performance loss.

the motor rules that you quoted are trumped by the class specific rules the poster above me quoted. I help run the PNW TCS race and we spent a good deal of time working through the details with Tamiya when Euro Trucks were introduced. But, of course, it’s going to come down to how your club polices the rules. My local winter club ostensibly follows TCS rules, but doesn’t police small stuff that doesn’t have any real impact on performance, like not installing the motor shroud/having a fan installed. So at the end of the day, check with your club for expected/allowable configurations. If you ever go to Tamiya World’s, you won’t be able to run a fan.
JoshuaRC10 is offline  
Old 06-19-2020, 10:46 AM
  #1237  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
eR1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,479
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

thanks for the info on the fan vs heat and interpretation of the TCS rule. I race at 3 different clubs, all follow TCS rules, ...I don't think anyone has ever cared about the use of a fan ...but I haven't attended a large TCS event either. Good to know though. I'll just leave it off.

e
eR1c is offline  
Old 06-19-2020, 10:48 AM
  #1238  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 406
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by eR1c
thanks for the info on the fan vs heat and interpretation of the TCS rule. I race at 3 different clubs, all follow TCS rules, ...I don't think anyone has ever cared about the use of a fan ...but I haven't attended a large TCS event either. Good to know though. I'll just leave it off.

e
just realized you quoted the truck rules and I referred to you in third person. Sorry about that! I’m on mobile and can’t go back to look while typing up a reply.
eR1c likes this.
JoshuaRC10 is offline  
Old 06-19-2020, 12:18 PM
  #1239  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (9)
 
IndyRC_Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,357
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

I wanted to convert my Tamiya TT-01R type E into a Euro-truck for bashing with a friend. Luckily I won a Euro-Truck body at a TCS event, so I don't mind buying the other plastic bits to convert my car. The only thing that doesn't make financial sense is buying a Tamiya TBLE-02S ESC. I already have a Tamiya TEU-101 BK ESC in my TT-01, so I wonder how close in performance these speed controls would be with identical motors/gearing?

I've raced Euro-truck at several TCS events, but was always borrowing another racer's truck. I've always had fun so I will probably just buy my own kit as they really are a good value. I just hate seeing my current TT-01 sitting around when it could be used for something fun. If anyone has any real world experience using other Tamiya speed controls in a Euro-Truck, let me know. To be clear I'm not suggesting changing TCS rules to allow more speed controls. I just want to have some fun bashing in a parking lot with a friend.
IndyRC_Racer is offline  
Old 06-19-2020, 01:35 PM
  #1240  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 2,313
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

If you're not racing under a "rule". the ESC doesn't actually matter. Anything brushed will be the same.
Nerobro is offline  
Old 09-21-2020, 02:24 PM
  #1241  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 484
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Does anyone know when the new Mercedes based kit will start shipping?
sps3172 is offline  
Old 10-11-2020, 09:16 PM
  #1242  
Dan
Tech Champion
iTrader: (76)
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 6,398
Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)
Default

Sorry if this is asked before but the TCS rules allow Tamiya servo savers. Is anyone running one that is different from stock and if so, do you have any pictures?
Dan is offline  
Old 10-11-2020, 10:28 PM
  #1243  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
angrymelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,126
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Dan
Sorry if this is asked before but the TCS rules allow Tamiya servo savers. Is anyone running one that is different from stock and if so, do you have any pictures?

TT01-E with a Tamiya high torque servo saver. Used a shoulder screw with a plastic nut.

This isn't actually in my Euro truck, but the same chassis platform.
Dan likes this.
angrymelon is offline  
Old 10-20-2020, 09:39 AM
  #1244  
Tech Rookie
 
messn03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Belding,MI
Posts: 19
Default Fans

Originally Posted by eR1c
Thanks, so it sounds like a fan doesn't help with motor cooling as the motor doesn't get hot enough to cause performance fade. I plan to get my new Euro to a track (work permitting) next week for some practice so will experiment w/ various setups.

We do follow TCS rules at our clubs and races,
however according to the TCS rules, under "Motor Rules" #4 states that 2 fans may be used on any vehicle, 1 for the ESC and 1 for the motor. Here is what it says:
---------------
"4. The use of any manufacturer’s cooling fan is legal. However, the fan must be no larger than 1.5 in. X 1.5 in. or 40mm square, and must run off the receiver or direct from the main battery pack. It is ILLEGAL to have a secondary battery to power the fan. No more than 2 fans total are permitted in a vehicle. This includes the speed control fan."
--------------
Unless I've interpreted this incorrectly no where does it state you can not use a fan under the specific rules for the Euro Truck class and in fact it clearly states that a fan under Motor rules is fine to use.

Note, I am not trying to debate or cause an uproar over this interpretation (people on these boards get cray-cray when discussing rules).
I'd just like to understand the rules.
Where I run here in Grand Rapids Michigan at grrc we are kind of easy on the tight rules. I use a fan and I disagree it does make a difference these motors get extremely hot and I believe in overall wear on a brushed motor it will be ann advantage. Just my opinion. Mess
messn03 is offline  
Old 10-20-2020, 09:53 AM
  #1245  
Tech Rookie
 
messn03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Belding,MI
Posts: 19
Default Semi wheels breaking

Well I'm here to tell you I broke three so far, and two other people broke base set as well on the rear. I went back to running stock rear wheels and won't change unless I break another set which will probably happen. Two of us talked to Tamiya oh, this is funny, they said their Factory drivers never have a problem. Well you've got to understand that we are not Factory drivers and we do make mistakes and hit tubes. Or have other people who are not experienced drivers that run the truck. You would think they would make them stronger for this group of people, just not a factory driver. Once again this is just my opinion no diss to Tamiya
94SRUNNER likes this.
messn03 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.