Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya Euro Truck Class >

Tamiya Euro Truck Class

Like Tree868Likes

Tamiya Euro Truck Class

Old 12-19-2019, 07:23 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The biggest downside of the cheapest computer radios is they do have slightly more latency than the cheap non-computer radios. We're talking pretty small numbers- less than 10ms average IIRC. The upside of having model memory and better tuning options far outweighs that IMO. As for 'supporting' the hobby. I don't know about that. AFAIK futaba etc have never made a donation to my local track. If I'm supporting anyone, its by buying the radio at my LHS instead of online.
Jeff H likes this.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

My wife gifted me with a Euro Truck kit. I know that I'll need paint and a spare receiver. Any special tools or other items needed for assembly? What servo's and batteries are recommended?
Old 12-26-2019, 07:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

You need a bearing kit for sure.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cornfield
My wife gifted me with a Euro Truck kit. I know that I'll need paint and a spare receiver. Any special tools or other items needed for assembly? What servo's and batteries are recommended?
I recommend you purchase the proper Phillips screwdriver for all the self tapping screws that these kits use, along with a ball bearing set. Almost any servo is fine for steering and I recommend one with a 25T spline (Futaba) so that it fits the included servo saver.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

JIS screw driver and propeller shaft upgrade. I trust and use Futaba digital servos.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Use a GOOD screwdriver. JIS can be nice. Put some grease on each screw before you put them in. Grease makes the screw go in easier, and you can feel when it bottoms out, so you don't accidentally strip it. You need a round pack battery. And.. I tend to go with a TS-D99X servo.
Old 12-26-2019, 09:11 AM
Tech Adept

Kit includes chassis, body, motor, and ESC.

You need everything else.
Tamiya makes a toolkit 74085 that has all you need for assembly.
Duratrax has a nice body scissors. Masking tape and paint is your preference.

You will need transmitter and receiver as you mentioned. Of course a servo (any will work).
Some like a nice upgraded servo saver.

As others have mentioned bearings are a big help and is really where you would stop with upgrades.

Lastly is a battery and charger. If you want to keep it simple you can get a tenergy NiMh charger/3300mah setup which will work nicely to be cheap as they use the tamiya style connections out of the box. You can go fancier but won't notice any difference in speed due to the box motor and gearing. (No hardcase though, only round style batteries.)

Seth
Old 12-26-2019, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

This thread is about the race class.. more than "it'll run". Many places have mandated a certian battery, but that abated with time. There are several brands of 2s LiPo battery in a round, hard, case. That's what you'll need to buy. You'll need a LiPo charger as well.

Bad servos, and racing, are not a good combination. Slow servos add a mush to the driving that's really hard to know if it's you, the car, or the servo, and I can't recomend using "just any servo". I also beleive you need to use the factory servo saver.

If you're going racing, you can't use an aluminum center shaft. The only upgrade allowed for racing is bearings.
sps3172 and mschumi101 like this.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Default replacement truck tyres

has anyone experienced relacment tyres have lower grip than the kit tyres ?
Old 12-29-2019, 02:44 AM
Tech Elite

Nope. I've seen the same traction from kit and not kit tires.
hobbyten likes this.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Nerobro
Nope. I've seen the same traction from kit and not kit tires.
ashphalt or carpet?
Old 12-29-2019, 03:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tamyiatrukracer
ashphalt or carpet?
Both.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Nerobro
Both.
ok good to know. Heres the thing , today we tested our trucks .we both had kit tyres, mine had more laps on them and our times were practically identical our PB were the same.
We both ran 6 packs and we both had a second set of replacement tyres (black rims ), mine had two runs my mate brand new .My truck was hooked up, same time as kit tyres
his was crapola ,so i ran his tyres thinking may be his truck had an issue. Well it was total shit ,understeer ,donuts. Adjusted my radio and ran a few clean laps i was 2 sec off pace WTF?
i changed back to my tyres put in my 6200 pack i use for 13.5 (i was using a 4400 shorty all day with weight added) radio back to orignal settings and went 3tenths faster than my personal best .
so whats going on with the tyres?
Old 12-29-2019, 05:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tamyiatrukracer
ok good to know. Heres the thing , today we tested our trucks .we both had kit tyres, mine had more laps on them and our times were practically identical our PB were the same.
We both ran 6 packs and we both had a second set of replacement tyres (black rims ), mine had two runs my mate brand new .My truck was hooked up, same time as kit tyres
his was crapola ,so i ran his tyres thinking may be his truck had an issue. Well it was total shit ,understeer ,donuts. Adjusted my radio and ran a few clean laps i was 2 sec off pace WTF?
i changed back to my tyres put in my 6200 pack i use for 13.5 (i was using a 4400 shorty all day with weight added) radio back to orignal settings and went 3tenths faster than my personal best .
so whats going on with the tyres?
I have had a similar experience with the HPI VTA tires. One set is hooked up, another set useless and like running Flintstone tires. It was likely down to different batches with slightly different rubber formulas at the time. Your Tamiya Euro truck tire issue might be similar.
Nerobro likes this.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by SteveM
I have had a similar experience with the HPI VTA tires. One set is hooked up, another set useless and like running Flintstone tires. It was likely down to different batches with slightly different rubber formulas at the time. Your Tamiya Euro truck tire issue might be similar.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.