Search
Like Tree867Likes

Tamiya Euro Truck Class

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 03:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Angry

It's disappearing cause no one will run it as the rules state. if your going to have to work on and tune it why not just race a tc class. This year's tcs race killed our class guys from other states come down and were running times as fast as the pro specs Spent all weekend working on a truck that should have needed no work or tunning my gt2 car and pro spec car was neglected cause I was trying to find the handling in my truck the trucks haven't been put on the track sense and that's a damn shame they were fun when it was throw it on The track and drive now it's a paperweight .
JCarr likes this.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by redmonster27
It's disappearing cause no one will run it as the rules state. if your going to have to work on and tune it why not just race a tc class. This year's tcs race killed our class guys from other states come down and were running times as fast as the pro specs Spent all weekend working on a truck that should have needed no work or tunning my gt2 car and pro spec car was neglected cause I was trying to find the handling in my truck the trucks haven't been put on the track sense and that's a damn shame they were fun when it was throw it on The track and drive now it's a paperweight .
locally our truck class is dead is mostly for the little kids to get started in racing usually 6-9 year olds are racing them now
Old 07-02-2018, 05:00 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Originally Posted by redmonster27

Not dead here.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Alive and kicking!

In Singapore, some limited hopups are allowed. Contary to what you might expect, blatant cheating and such... it's made the class very entertaining to watch. The trucks are not hampered by their inherent stock flaws and handle decently well, making for a class that is easy to drive, require some thoughts into setup (so drivers don't feel entirely braindead), and spectacular to watch. With the few allowed hopups, the trucks come alive and as usual, the drivers that drive best, wins...

I think it's sad to think that chasing a setup on race day is the main demotivator for dropping out of a racing class. It just sounds like a lot of sore losers who are unwilling to jiggle their brains or practice better driving, that will lead to their own success. Ultimately, it boils down to attitude. This shows a "can't win, don't play" attitude that will not grow our rc communities.

Rc is, at the end of the day, a fun hobby ( and that's why manufacturers like Tamiya make new cars... In this case, trucks), where racing your friends is fun, winning is just a bonus. Don't get so serious.
team green and scirocco14 like this.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:07 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by foampervert
In Singapore, some limited hopups are allowed. Contary to what you might expect, blatant cheating and such... it's made the class very entertaining to watch. The trucks are not hampered by their inherent stock flaws and handle decently well, making for a class that is easy to drive, require some thoughts into setup (so drivers don't feel entirely braindead), and spectacular to watch. With the few allowed hopups, the trucks come alive and as usual, the drivers that drive best, wins...

I think it's sad to think that chasing a setup on race day is the main demotivator for dropping out of a racing class. It just sounds like a lot of sore losers who are unwilling to jiggle their brains or practice better driving, that will lead to their own success. Ultimately, it boils down to attitude. This shows a "can't win, don't play" attitude that will not grow our rc communities.

Rc is, at the end of the day, a fun hobby ( and that's why manufacturers like Tamiya make new cars... In this case, trucks), where racing your friends is fun, winning is just a bonus. Don't get so serious.
the last part of your statement is true. The class was a have fun first hope to win second class. So why the need to hop it up that wasn't the idea for the class and definitely not for the TCS races. The trucks are a blast and in my opinion the most fun to drive. If I wanted to worry about set up I would only be running my xray cars. The trucks to me were a break in the race day throw it on the track and go have fun with friends
JCarr and Mark842 like this.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:50 AM
Tech Master

Default Takes all kinds, I suppose...

Perhaps rc is a little different in America. We had some visiting drivers from the states for a local x-ray race and wow! They sure drive different!
Personally, i​​​​​​ enjoy the setup part as much as kit building and racing. It all comes together as a full package. In Singapore, if we wanted to run a box stock class, it will be with pre-built cars... Usually for endurance races.
But running a league race without expecting people to optimise their cars is not possible. Our hobby causes people to tinker, whether it's oiling bearings, saucing tires, dusting the dust off the car, or other kinds of fiddlage... It's inevitable! That's why it's important to provide a certain amount of fiddling leeway, so that our natural instincts to fiddle, doesn't become cause for poor sportsmanship.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:11 AM
Tech Addict

I'm getting your point but I believe your missing mine but whatever happy racing. Bro
Old 07-03-2018, 05:37 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by foampervert
Perhaps rc is a little different in America. We had some visiting drivers from the states for a local x-ray race and wow! They sure drive different!
Personally, i​​​​​​ enjoy the setup part as much as kit building and racing. It all comes together as a full package. In Singapore, if we wanted to run a box stock class, it will be with pre-built cars... Usually for endurance races.
But running a league race without expecting people to optimise their cars is not possible. Our hobby causes people to tinker, whether it's oiling bearings, saucing tires, dusting the dust off the car, or other kinds of fiddlage... It's inevitable! That's why it's important to provide a certain amount of fiddling leeway, so that our natural instincts to fiddle, doesn't become cause for poor sportsmanship.
I’d be curious has to how different they drove.

I believe you’d find RC racing very different here in the States. While there are some racing series in different states. It’s mostky local. And rules or what is ok can very from group to group. Depending on who’s racing the class.
My understanding of the Euro truck class was for it to be an entry level class. Reasonable cost for someone to try racing. Unfortunately it didn’t seen to take long before the experienced drivers started running it, and wanting to make changes.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:20 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Is this the correct battery for TCS? https://www.amainhobbies.com/reedy-w...asc751/p386694
Old 07-03-2018, 10:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCBuddha
Is this the correct battery for TCS? https://www.amainhobbies.com/reedy-w...asc751/p386694
Yes. That is what we used in the last TCS at TQ in Chino
Old 07-04-2018, 09:30 PM
Tech Master

Ran this class for the 1st time last Sunday in the Tamiya Race at NorCal Hobbies. There was 3 heats of trucks in qualifying , and a A and a B main.I wasn't planning on racing, but 3 days before the race, a friend offered up a loaner truck, if I finished assembly and painted the body. I had plans to do a simple paint job, just detail the chassis / motor, and a simple scheme for the cab ........ after spending 3 hours cutting out the body, the plan changed It ended up all black, and matt clear on the outside. It looked good and I was amazed at all the attention it got.

The truck worked really well, I finished 8th in the A main. I found the trick for me was to turn down the steering and brakes as far as possible to minimize tipping over.

In the end, I had a blast racing with good friends, and didn't have to check ride height/ set droop/ measure camber / etc. all day long. I'm tempted to get one
Old 07-04-2018, 11:49 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

These trucks are starting to take off locally, they are a good fun class for those sick of all the political bs that plagues the other 'sanctioned' classes, many of which have become nothing short of farcical with control motors set to a certain kv, just no fun anymore!

We've set it so these trucks can be any servo, esc can be changed to the Hobbywing Quicrun brushed (as the stock unit we had a high failure rate) any battery, minimum weight 1550 grams, beyond that bearings and alloy prop shaft are only allowable upgrades. We do reverse grid after qualifying (so top qualifier starts last) and it encourages some good close racing but also it's about fun, so a few guys have horn modules, led's, sound units etc and the rules allow for people who are getting too full on about winning to be excluded from the class.

Will it last? Hopefully, at least until someone tries to sanction it
Old 07-05-2018, 06:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What's killing those ESCs? I've never had a TBLE-02 die for any reason other than reverse voltage.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nerobro
What's killing those ESCs? I've never had a TBLE-02 die for any reason other than reverse voltage.
From what we've seen, it's the BEC. One of my buddies went through 3 ESCs at the Snowbirds this year. I don't think the BEC in the stock ESC can handle some of the newer servos that draw a lot of current.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Serzoni
From what we've seen, it's the BEC. One of my buddies went through 3 ESCs at the Snowbirds this year. I don't think the BEC in the stock ESC can handle some of the newer servos that draw a lot of current.
I had what I thought was an ESC problem when in actuality was multiple motors. I would start a race and be fine for a lap or two before the truck slowed. I switched motors and again the truck would be great for a lap or two before slowing. Pull over for a minute and when starting again the truck would be fine for a lap and then slow down. I spoke to some people and they said the same thing as stated above. I was told that High Voltage servos were blowing out the BECs. I purchased a new non-HV servo and a new speed control. When trying trying the new speed control, I made one lap before the truck slowed. I ended up purchasing a new 3rd motor and that solved the problem. So before you go buy a TBLE-02 "Which is hard to fined aside from Tamiya USA for $80.00", try a new motor without doing any kind of break-in on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.