Tamiya Euro Truck Class >

Tamiya Euro Truck Class

Like Tree867Likes

Tamiya Euro Truck Class

Old 03-27-2017, 08:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bubbaslash
We've been running 2wd CORR for a few years. My oldest son thinks these race rigs would be a fun class to get into. 3 weeks ago, 2 guys showed up with the new kit at a local hobby shop that has an ozite road course. The next week, there were 4 entries. The shop owner now stocks the kits and has sold 6 or 7 more. Eurotruck is now an official class at the track. I think this will be fun and cheap BTW, it sounds like other parts of the country got a jump on us with this new class. Are they running mod versions anywhere?
A mod class would kill this class.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Since the main cab is separate from the lower bodywork, I'd like to see some Iveco, Freightliner, Scania cabs just to allow a little variety in the field. Or even some aftermarket decals. Since most Euro cab overs have very similar shapes, different grille and badging decals would be close enough. I've never had much interest in on-road, but this is intriguing for some reason
Old 03-28-2017, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A mod class would kill this class.
Agreed! You allow modding of this class and suddenly you'll have to drop another $200 into the truck to stay competitive. ...keep is box stock!

for this class I am not concerned about points or placement so much as having fun.
gijoe64 and GrandeGixxer like this.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:38 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eR1c
Agreed! You allow modding of this class and suddenly you'll have to drop another $200 into the truck to stay competitive. ...keep is box stock!

for this class I am not concerned about points or placement so much as having fun.
I agree. The original Slash stock class was a blast and people wanted more speed, super handling, etc and the class died. Keep it fun and cheap as possible.
eR1c likes this.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:12 PM
Tech Addict

Well, my son says he's going to spring for the kit. I ordered an econo bearing set from Boca and a Turnigy low-profile servo. Does anyone know if the current Tamiya ESC has a lipo cutoff? The local hobby shop permits 2S packs in the class since everyone already has them.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:17 PM
Tech Champion

As long as "stock" only refers to the motor and power source, that's fine. If people aren't allowed to tune *at all*, the class will die out anyway, because people will get bored. We're hobbyists, we're not getting paid to race, if we can't tinker in search of that extra 1/10-second, there's no point to it.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:30 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
As long as "stock" only refers to the motor and power source, that's fine. If people aren't allowed to tune *at all*, the class will die out anyway, because people will get bored. We're hobbyists, we're not getting paid to race, if we can't tinker in search of that extra 1/10-second, there's no point to it.
It would be cool to see these things take off enough to have a stock AND a mod class. I can't drive RC cars to save my life. My sons are the drivers. So I like to tinker. But I see this new class as a "gateway drug" to RC racing, and that's great. Get the kids off their computers and cell phones and onto the race track. My oldest lost interest in racing off road, but he wants to try his hand at this. And there are a couple things the rules don't address. Did I mention Grumpy Jenkins and Smokey Yunick were heroes of mine?
Old 03-29-2017, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

But I see this new class as a "gateway drug" to RC racing, and that's great.
Agreed and that is what the Traxxas Slash class was supposed to be too. Often I am at a race and a spectator comes by my pit area ...the question always comes up "how much do these things cost" (usually after "how fast can they go"). Its nice to be able to tell someone that you can race with us for $250 - $300 (once you figure in battery and charger). Granted we spent a heck of a lot more, I probably have $5k into the cars I race and my pit equipment (granted that is for me and my son), ..but as soon as you tell someone that a typical on-road TC car is about $750 - $1,000 or more they'll never consider racing.

...when I first started I began w/ the Tamiya Mini class. ...cost me about $250 to start. Fellow racers let me use their pit tent and tables, etc... was a very inviting atmosphere and allowed me to really get into the hobby at my own pace w/o plunking down a small fortune.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eR1c
Agreed and that is what the Traxxas Slash class was supposed to be too. Often I am at a race and a spectator comes by my pit area ...the question always comes up "how much do these things cost" (usually after "how fast can they go"). Its nice to be able to tell someone that you can race with us for $250 - $300 (once you figure in battery and charger). Granted we spent a heck of a lot more, I probably have $5k into the cars I race and my pit equipment (granted that is for me and my son), ..but as soon as you tell someone that a typical on-road TC car is about $750 - $1,000 or more they'll never consider racing.

...when I first started I began w/ the Tamiya Mini class. ...cost me about $250 to start. Fellow racers let me use their pit tent and tables, etc... was a very inviting atmosphere and allowed me to really get into the hobby at my own pace w/o plunking down a small fortune.
Exactly. I started racing a year ago with a TT02, and have built up my pit over the course of the last year little by little on my budget. But I didn't have to dig around for nearly $1000 up front just to get started.

I really like this truck class because it LOOKS fun as hell and will draw people in, especially when they find out that can get racing for under $300 (kit, radio, battery, and basic charger). That'll get them started, just like I did with my TT02, and a year later I'm racing carpet with an ARC R10 with a nearly full pit box, and quality charger/batteries. If I had needed to put up the $1000 at the front, I'd still be home playing video games every Saturday.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:53 PM
Tech Addict

Got the kit home. Washed and trimmed all the lexan. Decided to go for a look that will set it apart from the others at the track. Going to paint it up in the 1970s Ford W9000 deluxe paint scheme. Medium blue, white and dark blue like the Blue Mule from the movie "White Line Fever". This is gonna be fun
Old 03-30-2017, 11:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

video of the TCS regionals in Aliso.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLtTE03s1FA
GrandeGixxer and bubbaslash like this.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:11 PM
Tech Addict

Some good racing there! And cheap!
Old 04-02-2017, 05:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I am almost ready to get mine on the track! Just waiting on a couple of battery packs and I need to paint the body.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:20 PM
Tech Adept

Default Corner Speed / wheel hop

Had a good day at the track, kept it clean and finished in the middle of the pack.

I've noticed the big separator is corner speed ( and slight straightaway ). I wheel hop something fierce into turns. Any tips or tricks? My wife said the top trucks had a lot less of it. TCS rules so I know it's not parts, and absolulety recognize fast drivers will be fast in anything. So are their specific build suggestions? Diff grease amount? Making sure certain screws aren't too tight?

Anyone figure anything out?
Old 04-02-2017, 08:39 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mstrfahrenheit
Had a good day at the track, kept it clean and finished in the middle of the pack.

I've noticed the big separator is corner speed ( and slight straightaway ). I wheel hop something fierce into turns. Any tips or tricks? My wife said the top trucks had a lot less of it. TCS rules so I know it's not parts, and absolulety recognize fast drivers will be fast in anything. So are their specific build suggestions? Diff grease amount? Making sure certain screws aren't too tight?

Anyone figure anything out?
Friction shock grease, maybe?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.