R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-18-2006, 07:50 PM   #16
Tech Adept

I have not tried the Tekin 1/18th BL motors but you make the Mamba's sound bad. THEY ARE NOT!
Personally, I like to be able to program the ESC with a PC. I can save throttle and brake curve setups and re-use them very quickly. Once you learn how to program a Mamba (does not take long at all), the ESC programming is easy to do with or with out the computer.
Finally, I find it hard to believe that the Tekin systems "blows the Mamba out of the water". In what performance? Ease of use? Reliability?
I have not had issues with any of these items and I have been using multiple Mamba's for a long time.
I hope the Tekin 1/10th system is top notch. Another player in the 1/10th BL motor field is great. But to imply that the Mamba isn't too good just is not right.
Matt
mpetrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:03 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't think he is saying th eMamba system is bad, just the Tekin system is a lot better. To be honest though, for most, we carry enough junk to the racetrack witout having the bring a laptop to.... Remember Novaks Pit Wizard, I think that stunted sales purely because if an ESC is to be programeable, it should be all 'in-house' with no proprietary hardware needed.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:24 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
I am curious, is the 1/10 Tekin brushless a rebadged Castle Creations Mamba Maxx? I have been told it is, but I don't see Tekin rebadging a product they did not have any development input on.
Nope, Tekin's unit is their own product.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:36 AM   #19
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_cookie_monst
I don't think he is saying th eMamba system is bad, just the Tekin system is a lot better. To be honest though, for most, we carry enough junk to the racetrack witout having the bring a laptop to.... Remember Novaks Pit Wizard, I think that stunted sales purely because if an ESC is to be programeable, it should be all 'in-house' with no proprietary hardware needed.
Who says you have to have a PC to program the Mamba ESC? You can do all the programming with just your transmitter. The PC is another option and what is nice about it is that you download new firmware for the Mamba ESC when Castle Creations releases it. You don't need a latptop at the track.
Matt
Old 01-19-2006, 10:42 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

Matt-This is where email,postings and so on dont have the true effect on what one says.You took something in a way I didnt mean.Im simply saying that the Tekin is a better unit.

I didnt say the Mamba was a piece of crap or anything.Im simply stating that for ease of operation,no delay and quality you will find the Tekin is a better unit.
SUPER easy to setup 1st time,2nd time and throughout.
Do you understand how many DIFFERENT things you can setup or change on the face of the Tekin???
It's awesome.
I can tell you this much.I ran oval with the mamba and the 6500.I even took the TEKIN motor and plugged it into the mamba and lap times didnt change much.All 6.2's-6.4's per lap.
I then changed out to the Tekin Esc and Tekin Motor both and stepped into the 5 second range with the SAME motor.
5.9's-6.1's.
That my friend is PROOF.
Mamba is a nice unit.I feel the Tekin Offers more in Quality of build,Quality of Parts,Ease of Setup and Setup Period.Performance is the True Test.
Lets just say It Passed.
Motor's are pretty much the same.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:09 AM   #21
Tech Elite

I love to play with the curve settings for throttle and brake on my Mamba 8000KV. Also with the usb link you can restore/upgrade the firmware in the esc. Does that 'nice'Tekin unit do?
Old 01-20-2006, 02:11 AM   #22
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexRacer
Im simply stating that for ease of operation,no delay and quality you will find the Tekin is a better unit.
SUPER easy to setup 1st time,2nd time and throughout.
Do you understand how many DIFFERENT things you can setup or change on the face of the Tekin???
It's awesome.
I can tell you this much.I ran oval with the mamba and the 6500.I even took the TEKIN motor and plugged it into the mamba and lap times didnt change much.All 6.2's-6.4's per lap.
I then changed out to the Tekin Esc and Tekin Motor both and stepped into the 5 second range with the SAME motor.
5.9's-6.1's.
That my friend is PROOF.
Like I stated above, I have never used the Tekin BL for 1/18th scale. And that is fine if you think that the Tekin is easier to use/program but the quality is better? In what way? I have been using Mamba's for as long as they have been out and have NEVER had a problem with a motor or an ESC. Quality does not get much better than that. And your PROOF is not proof of anything. First off, I think you meant that you were using a Mamba 6800. As you stated, switching the Mamba and Tekin motors into the Mamba ESC (and assuming that you kept all the ESC settings the same) that your lap times remained consistent. I would of expected that. Then you went to the Tekin ESC and picked up roughly .5 secs per lap with the same motor(s). That's fine also but were the settings the same between ESC (or as similar as possible). Was the Mamaba ESC on Low Timing and the Tekin on High (or its equivalent)? Were both ESC's set to run the motor at max RPM's? I think it would be pretty difficult to get two different ESC's setup the same for this type of comparison. Unless you max both of them out but that most likely not be the ideal setup for racing and measuring lap times that are around 6 seconds.
Matt
Old 01-20-2006, 10:18 AM   #23
Tech Legend

Whats the weight of the Tekin Brushless motor?
Is it heavy like the Novaks or lite like the NEO ?
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 04:56 PM   #24
Team Tekin

Have not weighed the competition, but I expect ours to be light because it is slotless...

New brushless video was put up on the web page today!

Tekin Prez
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 04:59 PM   #25
Shop Owner

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to nnick Send a message via MSN to nnick Send a message via Yahoo to nnick Send a message via Skype™ to nnick

Do you have a brushless system to race against LRP's 4 star and equivelants?

Nick

The #1 source for all your electric needs www.rcring.eu

Enjoy RCing....
R/C Tech #82
IRT #123

Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong

Team Xray T4'17, Team Xray X10'18, TOP Racing Rebel
nnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:40 PM   #26
Team Tekin

You know it! We would not be Tekin otherwise. We are all about podiums and proving our stuff is as good as any.... and we will likely be able to drive their motors as well or better than they do and we will definitely be offering a variety of our own for each application.

Benefits of sensorless is we can run pretty much anything.

Tekin Prez
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 05:00 AM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Does this mean I will be able to run a novak, or neo motor with this system too? I really like the way I can use any of those motors mentioned, and not be stuck with just that particular manufacturers motor, more tuning option as I see it.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 05:20 AM   #28
Tech Master

hobbipro, thats about right, with the ESC being sensorless, it can run both sensored and sensorless motors.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:56 AM   #29
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

NICE! This is a step in the right direction. Have you (Tekin) looked into using composite housings for the motor? I run the Novak GTB in offroad and the motor being so much heavier than a brushed motor has it's effect on the car's handling. It seems that with no brushes and comm there isn't a need for aluminum's heatsink properties in a brushless. Much weight and cost could be saved by molding the endbell and front casing out of glass filled composite. It works in brushed endbells doesn't it?

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:15 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbipro
Does this mean I will be able to run a novak, or neo motor with this system too? I really like the way I can use any of those motors mentioned, and not be stuck with just that particular manufacturers motor, more tuning option as I see it.

If they want it to be ROAR & IFMAR legal then the Motors and ESCs would have to be interchangeable just like Novak and LRP... or Brushed Motors and regular ESCs for that matter. It would be product suicide otherwise.
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote