R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Got some noob questions, getting back into TC racing. (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/970469-got-some-noob-questions-getting-back-into-tc-racing.html)

FloridaST 12-08-2016 04:25 PM

Got some noob questions, getting back into TC racing.

Ok I took a loooong hiatus from RC and now that I have a a good job and a nice track nearby, I'd like to get back at it.

The track is an indoor carpet setup with the new CRC carpet and the classes I'm interested in are these:

25.5 Touring Car - Roar 25.5 motor, Roar 2 Cell LiPos, non-timing speedos
Touring Car Stock - Roar 17.5 motor, Roar 2 Cell LiPos, non-timing speedos.

I just bought a used ARC 2015 Black Edition and I need all new electronics: Radio, speedo, batteries, charger, motor.

A lot of this brushless stuff is very new to me, especially the LiPo battery packs. Can someone help point me in the right direction? Don't worry about what things cost, I can determine if I want to spend the money or not.

Thanks!

bertrandsv87 12-08-2016 05:11 PM

Cost is not as important as weight: buy lightweight everything as a general rule, and you'll be fine...
For the classes you mentioned you can't beat the Awesomatix cars A800 or A700 with Fantom motors and batteries....I am sure there are other cars out there, but they can't seem to dominate stock racing like the Awesomatix cars....Cheers...

FloridaST 12-08-2016 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 (Post 14761640)
Cost is not as important as weight: buy lightweight everything as a general rule, and you'll be fine...
For the classes you mentioned you can't beat the Awesomatix cars A800 or A700 with Fantom motors and batteries....I am sure there are other cars out there, but they can't seem to dominate stock racing like the Awesomatix cars....Cheers...

Thanks, I already have a car but I need everything else. I will say that the Awesomatix is pretty sweet... I just didn't want to spend that much when I'm just starting out.

gigaplex 12-08-2016 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by FloridaST (Post 14761672)
Thanks, I already have a car but I need everything else. I will say that the Awesomatix is pretty sweet... I just didn't want to spend that much when I'm just starting out.

One more tip: take anything Bert says with a grain of salt. The Awesomatix is a great car, but his obsession with weight reduction is extreme.

GuyIsDamGood 12-08-2016 06:33 PM

ESC: - I use KO Propo(they make good stuff.
Servo: - Futaba S9452
Radio: - Futaba 4PX
Battery: - (some Li-Po...I don't know because I still use Ni-MH)
Charger: - Graupner Polaron(one of the few)

Good luck

DesertRat 12-08-2016 06:44 PM

A good source of good quality and low cost power is Hobbywing. Their Justock ESC is a great piece for all 2 cell spec racing, its nice and small, and comes with a completely unnecessary fan for like $60. Their motors aren't bad either. For an inexpensive servo Savox makes a strong unit, but it lacks the refinement of an Airtronics piece. If you are willing to spend $200 on a radio you can get a Sanwa (AKA Airtronics) MT4, which is just fantastic.

phatboislim 12-08-2016 09:30 PM

As far as batteries stay away from LRP. Some guys talk good about turnigy that's sold at hobby king. But i know canton always has great battery packs and supposedly so does R1 wurks, which i will be trying out soon

As far as motors... if you like punch, which i do, team powers seems to be the move personally. But if u like a smooth delivery and still blistering fast...team scream.

This is all personal preference

mooby64 12-09-2016 04:48 AM

SMC had batteries that are very affordable.

massenb203 12-09-2016 04:59 AM

Turnigy Nano-Tech Batteries from Hobby King have been very good for me and I know several other racer who use them to. Great price as well. Esc that I use is the TrackStar 120Amp Competition from Hobby King to and for the price it have everything like the more expensive one and it performance is very good and durable. I have used these items and still do.

FloridaST 12-09-2016 02:54 PM

Great responses and much appreciated. Any suggestions for a good charger?

SouthFloridaApp 12-09-2016 05:11 PM

What is your budget? Regarding chargers I like the I-chargers. They need a power supply and a good one can be had off of e-bay. Let me know if you want to go this way and I will find a link. Regarding the prices of the I-chargers they vary by the model that will suit your needs and/or budget.

+1 on the hobbywing esc's. Make sure you get the programming card.

If you think you will stay in this hobby, buy quality....You will only buy once, thus it will be cheaper in the long run.

MIP tools....so you do not strip screws...

Regarding the class that you choose I would choose based on popularity. You want to race a class that always have enough entries. If both classes are fairly large you may want to opt for 25.5 instead of 17.5 as you will break less parts.

You have a very good car.

FloridaST 12-09-2016 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by SouthFloridaApp (Post 14762762)
What is your budget? Regarding chargers I like the I-chargers. They need a power supply and a good one can be had off of e-bay. Let me know if you want to go this way and I will find a link. Regarding the prices of the I-chargers they vary by the model that will suit your needs and/or budget.

+1 on the hobbywing esc's. Make sure you get the programming card.

If you think you will stay in this hobby, buy quality....You will only buy once, thus it will be cheaper in the long run.

MIP tools....so you do not strip screws...

Regarding the class that you choose I would choose based on popularity. You want to race a class that always have enough entries. If both classes are fairly large you may want to opt for 25.5 instead of 17.5 as you will break less parts.

You have a very good car.

Thanks, the R10 I bought was used by the fastest guy at the track so I know it's a good chassis. I started taking it apart and cleaning it up and getting familiar with it.

I'm good on tools, I have some Hudys that I bought years ago that are in great shape but I'll supplement with some other good tools as I need them.

My budget for a charger is around $200 - $300, I don't mind paying a bit more for something which is probably pretty important. Plus, yeah, like you said, I plan on staying with the hobby for a while and I can adhere to the "buy once cry once" philosophy. :cry: :D

Both classes (25.5 and 17.5) are popular so I want to start with 25.5. I hate to be a bother but if you could link some ROAR approved batteries that would be good, I'd appreciate it. I see so many choices and I don't really know what to get.

SouthFloridaApp 12-09-2016 11:46 PM

I would buy your charger at progressive rc.com as the warranty is better and has the same price. Read up on the Icharger 106b, 206b, 406 duo, and 306b.

Power supply below...best bang for your buck

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Power-Sup...EAAOSwmtJXVmTg

SouthFloridaApp 12-10-2016 12:06 AM

I have a brand new top of the line battery I would sell. It has low internal resistance. I sent you a PM...private message.