Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya tb evo6 ms vs hobao h4e

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 01:09 PM
Tech Regular

Default Tamiya tb evo6 ms vs hobao h4e

I guys I currently run a hobao h4e and its brilliant, finish in the A most weeks but I just fancy a change and came across the tb evo6 ms for £300.

Would this be considered an upgrade over my current car or am I likely to see slower laps?

I run 13.5 boosted indoor med/high grip carpet
Old 12-04-2016, 06:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You have to be super careful when building and shimming the diff pinion and crown gears for 13.5 boosted. Most definitely should see improvement - my TB 06 (Exotek'd) carries more corner speed and out accelerates my old BD7.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hipwell
I guys I currently run a hobao h4e and its brilliant, finish in the A most weeks but I just fancy a change and came across the tb evo6 ms for £300.

Would this be considered an upgrade over my current car or am I likely to see slower laps?

I run 13.5 boosted indoor med/high grip carpet
Shaft drive cars are a hole different animal. I think in the long run. A top of the line belt car will be more consistent from track to track. Maintenance is far easier with belt as well.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:00 PM
Tech Elite

I wouldn't go as far as saying a belt car is easier to maintain.

It may be true of Tamiya cars because they still haven't nailed the problems with their gear diffs haunting BOTH their shaft and belt cars.

Yokomo on the other hand has brought out some brilliant differentials for their shaft drive drift cars. Get one or two of those, chuck it in an old SD-SSG and you have a better car than what the Tamiya fanboys are struggling to achieve with the new fangled EVO6 after they buy it for about 400$, gut it, and spend another 400$ on upgrades, unicorn oil and fairy dust.

By then you can just buy an Awesomatix and be done with it.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
I wouldn't go as far as saying a belt car is easier to maintain.

It may be true of Tamiya cars because they still haven't nailed the problems with their gear diffs haunting BOTH their shaft and belt cars.

Yokomo on the other hand has brought out some brilliant differentials for their shaft drive drift cars. Get one or two of those, chuck it in an old SD-SSG and you have a better car than what the Tamiya fanboys are struggling to achieve with the new fangled EVO6 after they buy it for about 400$, gut it, and spend another 400$ on upgrades, unicorn oil and fairy dust.

By then you can just buy an Awesomatix and be done with it.
You can get an EVO 6 MS plus the EXO SIX conversion for around $460 plus shipping from rcmart. Add a cheap shim kit and you're done. That's a lot cheaper than an Awesomatix. For the stock classes, it's pretty potent.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:48 AM
Tech Regular

So am I going to see massive problems with shredding gears running 13.5 biosted? Or are they fairly reliable if shimmed correctly?
Old 12-06-2016, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

Well a buddy of mine has raced the evo on a temporary outdoor track 13.5 boosted for 2 summer seasons and not had any issues with the gears.

This was the original Evo6 (black)

I have only run one 17.5 and I don't run it very often. So cannot be more exact.