Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Novak Supersport ESC with Velocity 5.5? >

Novak Supersport ESC with Velocity 5.5?

Novak Supersport ESC with Velocity 5.5?

Old 01-07-2006, 06:35 AM
Tech Regular

Default Novak Supersport ESC with Velocity 5.5?

Hey guys,

I have many supersport ESCs that I hate to throw away just because the 5800 motor is not capable to catch up with the competition. Is it possible for me to run the supersport ESC with 5.5 velocity motor for my 4 cell and 5 cell 1/12 pan cars?

I know that with 6 cells, it would probably overheat the supersport ESC but 4-5 cells should be ok i think

Any help will be greatly appreciated especially from Charlie the Novak man.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:46 AM
Tech Master

The novak ss and ss+ has a motor limit and the new velocity 6.5 and 5.5 are outside those limits. Instead of throwing to ss away give it to someone who can use it so they can get on board with the brushless.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

have you mailed charlie@Novak? ...

Have you had/have the GTB system as well?
I've owned both a supersport and currently have a GTB.
The GTB is miles ahead in terms of throttle feel and control over the different throttle parameters..

Maybe it's upgrade time?

Then again.. a 5.5r running on 4 cells.. Vs. a 5800 running on 4 cells. Will there be such a big difference? Ask Charlie! LOL...
Old 01-07-2006, 06:50 PM
Tech Master

Think! Sell your SS ESC's and with the money you get, buy a GTB. I could imagine that the SS could handle the 5.5 on 5 cells.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:37 AM
Tech Regular

Yup, i just bought myself a GTB with 5.5 motor. It's way in front of the SS. That's why I am thinking about upgrading my SS with more powerful motor.

Here's how I got this idea, when i runned my SS with 6 cells in hot weather, my ESC went to thermal shutdown frequently. The heatsink was hot. Next, I also runned my SS with 4 cells, voila never had any thermal shutdown and heatsink was warm and not hot.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:13 AM
Tech Addict

Did you run a fan on your ss?
I used to run an eagle racing fan on the ss heatsink, mounted with crews just like the gtb heatsink is. It NEVER thermalled on me.. even in 40degree weather..(celcius)..

so it must've worked then eh.. LOL!
Old 01-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Tech Regular

Angry

track temperature can get really hot in Malaysia. I experienced thermal shutdown even when my fan was working well. it happened to my 1/10 pan car when I ran it very hard with frequent hard braking before entering corners.

I agree with you that fan is a must for SS with 5800 motor but Novak needs to make a breakthrough on its ESC. Rejecting heat to the ESC instead of efficienty giving it straight to the motor is not something that they need to improve upon.

Even my GTB with the fan installed, I experienced thermal shutdown yesterday. I have to do more work on this, was it because of the gear ratio or something else. The thermal shutdown mode for GTB was kinda strange, it slowed down the car instead of 100% stop.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Errrr ... motor is dissipating heat cos it is turning.
You can't prevent motor from generating heat unless it is not turning dude.
The heat comes from the high amp that are require to turn fast and friction when rotating.
There is no high speed motor in the world that wouldn't generate heat but you can cool it down efficiently.
Thats why most industrial electric motor has a in-built ventilation fan to cool the coil.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Tech Regular

Ah liang

heat generated in the ESC is something that we cannot prevent. However, different ESC rejects different percentage of heat. For example, at the same vehicle speed and run time, Novak GTB is hotter than LRP Sphere.

My question is, why until now Novak brushless ESC still rejects a lot of heat that I even experience thermal shutdown for my GTB. My understanding is that, if the electronic circuit deliver the electric power efficiently to the motor, it will be more advantageous in term of performance and run time.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I'm pretty sure the ESCs tend to run hotter at part-throttle than at full throttle.

Maybe you just need to go faster.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:07 AM
Tech Addict

That's true... ESC's are working harder at part throttle in order to perform their current switching operations.

Actually, there has been talk for a while now about novak brushless esc's getting hotter than the competition. That said, i've been running this week where it's been around 36 degree's plus(degree's celcius) with high humidity as well.

Hot enough that a set of sorex 40's start to overheat and get chewed up very quickly. I did not experience any thermal problems running the car at FDR of 9.24 (undulating track with uphill infield and downhill straight)..

Not sure what can be done, but to play around with your gearing. Good luck!

Incidentally, the velocity 5.5r motor reacts very well to being cooled. Much better punch and speed. try shooting it with co2 spray before or after a run.
Perhaps this is because the motor windings are sitting right next to the can?
Old 01-09-2006, 07:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by AngryAsian
That's true... ESC's are working harder at part throttle in order to perform their current switching operations.
Brushless esc's are switching phases all the time. It's only "brushed" esc's that are "open" at full throttle.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:51 PM
Tech Addict

Ta.... i should have added that. I was making referrence to a regular brushes esc. I'm pretty much in the dark when it comes to electronics.

One has to wonder though, does the GTB esc still work harder on part throttle? Does is have to perform more calculations based on rotor position and speed?
Opens up a whole world of ESC controlled parameters, if only you could program it! Imagine, being able to dial down the torque a little when the rotor is winding up, then max torque to get you up to speed quickly...

Or imagine just being able to set the max rpm and torque firgures for "spec" racing...
Old 01-10-2006, 07:21 AM
Tech Regular

here's an update. I tried a short gearing last night. For HPI 10G pan car (1/10), I ran it with 1:6 ratio on a track with combination of 2 long straights with technical in the middle. The tire diameter is roughly about 3mm foam left.

To my surprise, both my 5.5 motor and ESC were only warm. I also had more than 6 minutes runtime with GP3300. I could accelerate very well and still had a respectable top speed (about the same as average 1/10 nitro cars) for the long straight line.

Conclusion, do not gear your car too tall. Gear it right and dont worry too much about straight line speed cause the power band is much much broader if compared to 5800. X file solved.