Old 12-13-2016, 03:25 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

4 rounds should be best 2 of 4 Ian..
Old 12-13-2016, 04:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Adams
How much can a big spot in a car show actually be? Dont people pay to get into those events? I doubt the car show charges much for a car to come in. It would be part of the entertainment for the weekend. I imagine at a big car show, people would be stacked up ear to ear to watch small cars battle it out at speeds they didn't even know could be possible.

Also, combine usvta and usgt into one scale class with one set of rules.

Limiting entries into few classes makes events more prestigious. This allows organizers to set up qualifying events. (Roar) This also allows for triple A-mains.
We used to have a race at the Cleveland Auto Show many years ago. I can't really remember the specifics but it didn't get a large draw of racers if memory serves me well. Maybe someone else has a better recollection of it.

It could have potential if a proper subfloor was used and the usual large race stuff was present. I haven't been but going to try in '17, the Canadian Nats or whatever it's called is held in a mall. Anyone know if it's gotten new blood into the hobby?

----------------------------

I think most already know my opinion is to have less class options, I don't feel that the gut reaction that it hurts entries is true. I talked with a lot of people through email that were ready to run a different class if their preference didn't make it at the HC. Most will run at least two classes no matter what

USGT
TC 17.5 or 13.5
TC Mod
12th 17.5 or 13.5
12th Mod(ish)
F1
GTR

There are motors out there for the cheap that could be used for a spec motor class. We use TrackStar motors for a 12th class that are dyno'd and timing locked for equality. They are $30-35 a piece depending on the websites randomly changing pricing. Could be even cheaper with a bulk purchase.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
4 rounds should be best 2 of 4 Ian..
I agree. Some consistency reward needs to be in place.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Well Sam, Add me to that list of rare racers. I DETEST QUAL POINTS systems. I remember a race several years ago, that my gear was top notch, driving better than my usual failure laden practices, and I had the same idiot take me out in two heats while LAPPING him. 4 quals, best of three for points. FTD qualifying would have placed me 6th on the grid based on my best run, qual points left me 11th. Won the B by a full lap+. Qual points reward the upper end of the order, but if you're a good driver with a shot at a good result, who happens to get stuck in crap heat by luck of the draw, more often than not, you're screwed. I say RESORT after every round, FTD format.

3 of 4 counting was the problem in this instance. I also like the resort every round, or certainly after 2 and seeding of the heats as well.

I see no real issue surfacing with 2 of 4 rounds counting...such as how it currently is at ROAR Paved National Events.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Sam Isaacs
I personally feel that any major race (over one day in length with four rounds of qualifying, should be qualifying points. With track changes on black carpet, this largely reduces the importance of that one spectacular run and makes every round matter...and not simply the Sunday morning "fast" round. I also think that Triple mains is certainly a plus for larger events such as IIC, Birds, and National caliber events.

Would love to see this in effect at Snowbirds and 2017 Roar Carpet Nationals.
+1
Old 12-13-2016, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I like threads like this because it shows that not everyone just wants "status quo" in r/c racing and/or big events. I always scratch my head when big events are run a certain way because that's the way they always have been run.

Throwing a wrench into qualifying or the race program in general rewards the people who manage the variables better than others. For example, when I raced the USVTA Southern Nationals they had single racer qualifying. I knew that it was more important not to wreck during my single run than to try to set TQ. I didn't push my car as hard as I could so I would be sorted higher.

No matter what type of method we use to organize or score our racing, the people that do the best will figure out where to take risks and where to play it safe. Maybe the fast guy will have to wait a few extra corners to pass a back-marker or risk being taken out and screwing up their overall result. Would it be bad to introduce a little race strategy into r/c racing?
Old 12-13-2016, 06:50 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

i know big race promoters are reading this thread. maybe we can even get a few more of them to post their opinions..