Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Associated TC3/TC4 question; body posts in the same location on both? >

Associated TC3/TC4 question; body posts in the same location on both?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Associated TC3/TC4 question; body posts in the same location on both?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 08:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Associated TC3/TC4 question; body posts in the same location on both?

Hi all. I have an old TC3 set up for VTA, and I ordered my younger son a TC4 club racer which might be in today if I can get to the track. My question is whether the body posts are in the same location on both cars in relation to the wheel base. I'd like to get started on cutting two bodies for the TC4 but I'm not sure if the TC3 and TC4 are the same in that regard. Many thanks.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Short answer

Nope, the body mount locations are different between the TC3 and TC4. It is best to have a different body for each chassis.

----------

Long Answer

The rear locations are different enough that you can have separate holes and use the same body on both chassis. The front are similar but not exact. You would need to have body post holes that end up very close to each other. It doesn't look good and could end up messing up both holes in a crash.

You can modify a TC3 to use the same body post mount locations as a TC4. This requires using the upper front bumper mount from the TC4, TC4 shock towers, and TC4 chassis braces for the camber links. The only difficulty is securing the TC4 upper bumper mount to the TC3 lower bumper. You also might need shim or use different upper shock mounts on the TC3 so the vertical shock angle doesn't bind the suspension.

==========

Additional info/considerations

The TC3 only has one way to adjust the length/wheelbase of the car, which is using shims on the lower hinge pin of the rear uprights.

The TC4 can adjust the length/wheelbase of the car at the hinge pins of both the front and rear a-arms.

Basically you can adjust the length/wheelbase of the TC4 much more than a TC3. If you aren't careful, the wheels won't be centered in the wheel arch if you are swapping bodies between different cars. However on most VTA bodies this isn't normally an issue since the bodies are fairly wide in the front and rear. At worst you might have to trim some extra material from the wheel arch to prevent the tire from grabbing/rubbing the body.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:41 AM
Tech Rookie

Indy: Many thanks. That's what I needed to know. I appreciate the detailed answer as well.