R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-07-2006, 10:40 AM   #31
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well, my dad learned the hard way one day when wrenching on his car that it's a bad idea to solder on your lap if you're sitting on the floor and wearing shorts. Gotta love those solder welts on your thighs. Also, at work, I was helping a customer solder up a motor and he brought it back and said it was spinning backwards (it was a Mini-Z motor, no + or - on there) but I had already unplugged the iron. So I plugged it back in, and decided to leave it plugged in just in case he came back again with another problem. Another employee comes over while I'm looking away and grabs the tip side of the iron (for what reason I do not know). Well, he was a little more sensitive to pain than most so we basically had to shut the store down for half an hour to tend his wound.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:44 AM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BillyCaldwell

Weller digital iron with esd protection, good 300 degrees id guess. Let just say water has to be very hot, or else it does not seem hot on my hands LMAO. And if your at a track where im at and you smell burning, its most likely something in my pit has rolled up against the iron. Ah the smell of burnt flesh...
Old 01-07-2006, 11:56 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I use open flame to solder for a living. I'm a pipefitter, plumber, gasfitter, and an apprentice welder. I have solder fall on me every now and again at work. Little drops of solder in those really tight places.

In my RC career I have been pretty lucky with it though. Grabbed some wires that are a little warm or get warm when you hold them.

I do remember when I was a kid I had one of my friends over. I had a wood burning kit and I told my buddy to grab the white clay part that was in front of the handle. It was almost as hot as the tip. He burned himself pretty good. I laughed until he started screaming. I think we were only 7 or 8. My parents had no idea that I had plugged it in.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 12:16 PM   #34
Tech Adept

Back in the day when my dad used to do all the soldering I used to be on stand by with the solder/wire/diode. One time he was soldering (can't remember what) but he had the iron underneath and was pushing up. I leant over his shoulder to put some solder on and as I did the iron slipped out from under whatever ever it was under and straight into my face.

Caught most of the side of my nose, rather an interesting burn and scab to explain to my teachers at school, "My dad did it Sir"

Shortly afterwards I made a point of learning how to solder and took over that duty.

Stu
Old 01-07-2006, 12:22 PM   #35
Tech Regular

Ive had 2 occurences, one was almost very tragic.

First was at home when I was soldering a motor and momentarily pulled the wire to get more movement of the iron and letr my hand drop and I burnt the skin inbetween my thumb and finger.
Second was at school, I was unsoldering some components in a circuit and I pulled the wire out and a glob of solder flicked and hit me on the right side of my right eye, inbetween my eyebrow and eyelid, very close encounter and from now on Im very careful with irons, it could have been much worse.
thecrow2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 12:24 PM   #36
Tech Initiate

one time, i was soldering wires onto a motor after a crash, and the tip of the iron fell off, and went into my sock! you know the veins that are near the heel of your foot, near the joint? the tip decided to stick there and burn!!!
as i cursed, i flumg the sock off, and ran to the bathroom. i franticly filled the sink with water , and dunked my foot in it. the next day i went to the doctor, and i had 2nd digree burns, just missing those lange veins!

now i have a nasty scar, aand now go tighten the screws of the iron before ironing!
joey2*41/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 01:41 PM   #37

Send a message via AIM to losirunner Send a message via MSN to losirunner Send a message via Yahoo to losirunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Puff
Well, my dad learned the hard way one day when wrenching on his car that it's a bad idea to solder on your lap if you're sitting on the floor and wearing shorts. Gotta love those solder welts on your thighs. Also, at work, I was helping a customer solder up a motor and he brought it back and said it was spinning backwards (it was a Mini-Z motor, no + or - on there) but I had already unplugged the iron. So I plugged it back in, and decided to leave it plugged in just in case he came back again with another problem. Another employee comes over while I'm looking away and grabs the tip side of the iron (for what reason I do not know). Well, he was a little more sensitive to pain than most so we basically had to shut the store down for half an hour to tend his wound.

i cant count how many times..
losirunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 01:46 PM   #38
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A number of times i have had solder fall onto my bare feet, solder spitting and nearly getting me in my eyes and the worst is when the iron fell off the table, tried to catch it (and i did) but i caught the tip

Charles
Old 01-07-2006, 01:57 PM   #39
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just curious how come no one uses IR temp. gun to check the soldering iron?
ogreasurada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 01:57 PM   #40
Tech Fanatic

I like to show the neighborhood teenage kids how to solder, then maybe the next time i see them, i will take the iron cold of course and try to hand it to them tip first, i will even touch the tip and act like its hot but not to hot, they never notice that the cord is flying around me unplugged. if that doesnt work i will get out the glow igniter show em how it lights up a plug, and then take the plug out and tell em to see how long they can hold it on there arm, then i will act like i am really doing it, cry in pain sort of thing, kids will believe anything.
Charlie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 02:07 PM   #41
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default oh yeah!!

A few years ago I had a couple of warts on my left knee and one day I decided to do a little something about it. After icing them for a few minutes to numb the knee up, I turned my Ungar soldering iron full blast and went at them . Needless to say, the numbness didn't last more than a few seconds before the pain set in but I kept on going. Actually, pain would be an understatement , but they got burned off and until this day, the warts have never returned. Just so you know, if they did come back, i'd be going to the dermatologist.....but on that day, I felt pretty burley!!
RCevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 02:28 PM   #42
Tech Regular

A good mate of mine had borrowed my 80w iron to install some speakers in his car (full size) well after having done the soldering he laid the iron on the driveway next to him. He reached down to pick up his screwdriver and picked up the iron by the tip. Needless to say he dropped it pretty fast but thats when the funny part started. He grabbed his hand in pain and kind of rolled backwards from a kneeling position to sit on the driveway, well guess where the iron had rolled too Funniest burn EVER
pyrosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 02:45 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

at a big meet here in the uk (carpetwars) last year
sitting at a big pit table 6 of us
gary decided to rebuild he`s motor with a gas soldering iron
skim motor ,wash can out collect residue with rag put motor together
fire up the gas iron to solder brushe`s on
motor catch`s light then he`s fingers grabs the rag that catch`s light
so all 3 are on fire motor,hands,rag

we didn`t help him we was laughing to much ,lovely purplish/bluey flame if i remember
race director comes over (ian knight) after hearing the shouting & laughing
nice plume of smoke on the smouldering rag ;;`asking was there a fire ` no we said

happened very quickly didn`t burn he`s hand or anything
i do he`s motors now !!!
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 03:02 PM   #44
Tech Adept

i lent on my soldering iron which burnt through my fleece, then top and then skin whilst melting itself2 my pit table. same fleece had another hole torched in it the same day when i lent over a mates table. didn't notice until the smell of burning filled our noses
Carpetwars/Sidcup RCC/Maritime Racing/7oaksmcc
Racingbod85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 03:13 PM   #45
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to josh69162

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_morrison_
all i have to say is don't solder with bare feet .
had a glob of it fall off and land on my right toe .
didn't know how sensitive my toes were till that day.
it became a blister and left a nice scar
I had a similar thing happen. I was out in my shop attaching my motor to my ESC, when I flicked a little solder off and it landed on the webbing of my foot inbetween my middle toe and "index" toe. A few unique vocab words later, it was fine, but it definately hurt like a B for a few seconds.
-Josh
josh69162 is offline   Reply With Quote