R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-16-2002, 11:13 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Default Motor Dyno Questions

I'm in the Market for a Motor Dyno and would like to ask all of you some questions. I would like to purchase one with the most usable features for the money.

1) What Dyno do YOU have and what are your likes/dislikes about it?

2) What features do you like BEST about it?

3) What brand would you buy if you had to do it over again?

4) Will it connect to a PC and what features does the software offer?

Thanks for the input,
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 08:58 PM   #2
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

1. CS Dyno. Likes- small, easy to use. Dislikes- makes a bl**dy racket, cannot do less than 10T unless you use 2 packs in parallel.

2. An idiot can use it!

3. Probably the same, but I haven't tried others!

4. Yes, the software comes with the unit.
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 09:40 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Robitronics - repeatable, comparable dyno output to other Robi dyno's, easy to use, info easy to gather, can be used with or without a PC. Also can be used as a charger.

CE Turbo Dyno 30 or 45 - somewhat repeatable dyno output (depends on the slave & the slave needs maintenance once in a while). Only so many parameters are given. Missing one...spin up time.

CS - sorry, owned it, NOT repeatable.

Fantom - cannot dyno a motor at 5 volts and determine how it will run in 6 cell applications. Dyno favors motors with more RPM's.
acloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 10:59 PM   #4
Tech Master

I have the Fantom dyno. The things I like about it are that it is very easy to use, it gives you loads of cool info and it shows nifty graphs. It does require a computer running DOS to use the software that comes with it. A Windows software can be had for $75 extra, but you can use the software for 30 days for free before it disables itself. If you use the dyno as a tuning tool, any dyno is useful. The only thing I use it for is to check the effect of changes that I make such as springs, brushes and so forth. This is particulary handy when you race a class with a handout motor.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 10:02 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Default Good info, keep it up!

I think that the features I would like to have are:

1) Pc compatability, Graphs, data storage.

2) Repeatablity, 2-3 runs with the exact same motor (one after another) will produce nearly identical figures.

3) Good support in the USA.

What I see so far is that the Robitronics probally has the most features for your money. However, with Trinity moving over to Fantom. Who distributes and supports them in the US?

Thanks, keep the comments coming please.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 08:26 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to picco007 Send a message via Yahoo to picco007
Default Turbo dyno

I have had a turbo dyno for quite some time and I love the thing. It is repeatable and you do have to do some maintanence once and a while to the slave motor but it's no big deal. It is a stand alone unit, it does not need a PC, It does not show graphs but what we are looking at are the wattage for each amp draw which gives us a basis of how strong or weak a motor is. CE has been around for a while and Jim is a good guy to talk to. They have quit making the dyno but you can still find them around. I wish you luck........take care.
picco007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 12:40 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Aeon Racer

I have a simple home made dyno. Made it out of an extra stock motor I had laying around, a couple of resistors and a volt meter. I don't get any RPM readings, but the voltage created by electrical induction on the slave motors is basically that. I measure the torque by flipping a switch and using electrical resistance to see what voltage I get. It cost me maybe $20 to build...
Aeon Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 02:33 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to JesseT

I also have a home made dyno. It consists of an aluminum flywheel, optical pick-up and software. It hooks up to the microphone input of a computer. Software then records an acceleration as a .wav file, calculates the power vs. revs. and sends the data to Excel. Extream repeatibility, but no current values yet.
JesseT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 04:13 AM   #9
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

I have the CS Dyno but certainly don't recommend it, mainly for one reason.

There is no way you can get consistant readings out of a dyno which doesn't supply the motor you are testing with a constant and consistant current.

Of course I didn't know this when i bought it. With this CS Dyno you have to hitch the motor you are testing to a 7.2 pack. Now how many 7.2 packs have you seen that are absolutely identical.

I phoned CS in Germany and explained, and they said they realised this was a problem and were working on a power supply that would always operate the motor at the same current, voltage, etc. This was 3 or 4 years ago. They said they would contact me as soon as this was available, but up to the present day i have heard nothing.

Trying to test a motor off a 7.2 volt pack is daft. The first try will give great readings and every reading after that will be lower as the battery drains.

The only way i ran it consistantly was by hooking the motor up to part of a 12 volt automobile battery. But that is not practical, even if it does give accurate results. It means you have to screw up a good expensive 12 volt car battery, and it means you can only use it on the bench in the workshop.

Yes, I got taken for a ride with that one. Another 300 pounds down the drain.

regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 04:46 AM   #10
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Well currently Trinity, Horizon Hobby Distributors, Great Planes, Megatech, Pro Match, Bullit Motorsports, Putnam ProPulsion, Team One Racing, Paradigm Motors, and Axiom Motors all use the Fantom Dyno, these guys know their stuff so the Dyno must be good.

i have also just picked up a Fantom Dyno!

The Fantom does "not" have the same issues as the CS DYno in relation to power supply, consistency etc. Just for a test i once powered a Fantom Dyno via various 7.2v packs, a very pointless exercise each pack produced vastly different results

Last edited by black-knight; 11-19-2002 at 04:50 AM.
black-knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 05:05 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to JesseT

Very true. It's not a straigth forward task to build a power supply for a dyno as the peak current is ~100A. To use 12 V and regulate that down to 7 V is a huge task for any transistors. Also remember that you must create the proper voltage together with the proper internal resistance. If the voltage is regulated to a constant level, the information gathered might be misleading. The ideal solution is to use a 8 V lead acid battery (hard to find) or a heavy 8,4 V NiCd battery and regulate that to a constant 7,2 V. That can be done by for example by using PWM and a huge electrolytic capacitor. After that, the power must be fed to the dyno (CS or homemade) through a 0.05 resistor or with a suitable length of wire.
Running the dyno directly of a 6 V lead acid battery gives quite repeatable results, but again the results can be misleading.
One of the problems of all aftermarket dynos, is that they don't allow you to test brushless motors or speedcontrols. I used my dyno a while back to test different esc capacitors at different power levels.

edit: typos
JesseT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 07:48 AM   #12
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

I've found that you get the most "consistent" figures from the CS if you charge the pack....let it stand for about half an hour, so the pack has lost its edge....then run it for about 3 times before taking the reading...... that is when it is "most" consistent....although still not "exactly" 100% repeatable.......
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 11:38 AM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I just spin the motor with my fingers. If it spins fast it has lots of RPM if it spins slow it has plenty of torque. Then I usually pull the brushes out and lick them. If they have an electricy taste that means the motor isn't broke in all the way and if they tast like dirt that means the motor is losing some of its power.

I only charge $5 at my local track to test motors. And my way is 100% repeatable
ChristopherKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 12:03 PM   #14
Tech Regular

black-knight - you used a 7.2 volt battery pack to power a fantom dyno the must see TWELVE VOLTS and 50 amps? WTF? Ummm.....where is the B.S. protector???

Maybe the reason that all of these companies are using the fantom because of ......um....free dyno's? ...or at least at extremely reduced prices???

Sorry dude....not one of those companies mentioned are motor builders.....just relabelers (except Trinity - the IMPORTER).

Good luck........sorry to flame on you.......but the 7.2v pack being used in a 12 volt application........uhhhh.....yeah........right!

Quote:
Originally posted by black-knight
Well currently Trinity, Horizon Hobby Distributors, Great Planes, Megatech, Pro Match, Bullit Motorsports, Putnam ProPulsion, Team One Racing, Paradigm Motors, and Axiom Motors all use the Fantom Dyno, these guys know their stuff so the Dyno must be good.

i have also just picked up a Fantom Dyno!

The Fantom does "not" have the same issues as the CS DYno in relation to power supply, consistency etc. Just for a test i once powered a Fantom Dyno via various 7.2v packs, a very pointless exercise each pack produced vastly different results
acloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 01:38 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

"Motor Builders" is a term that can mean many different things based on ones definition of the words.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.

Last edited by Kraig; 11-19-2002 at 01:44 PM.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote