R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-21-2002, 09:30 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Default DIY Dyno

Graphitedust;

I was just getting even for the "Study" remark.

Aeon Racer:

Building a USABLE DIY Dyno is beyond the AVERAGE persons ability. Obviously your ability is above average and I'm glad that yours works for you.

Per my original post;

"I'm in the market for a Motor Dyno and would like to ask all of you some questions. I would like to purchase one with the most usable features for the money."
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 10:00 AM   #32
Tech Fanatic

I know there rather expensive, but isn't that Robitronics dyno the top of the heap? I think its the one they use in car action magazine.....looks like that thing does everything but turn the arm and put in new brushs for ya.....

By the way, I used the "RC Motor Dyno" search......boy, theres some good info in there!

Last edited by Graphitedust; 11-21-2002 at 10:05 AM.
Graphitedust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 10:24 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Default Top of the Bunch

That's EXACTLY where I like to be when I do anything, especially racing.
I spend HOURS each week preparing my cars for the weekend battle.
On the parking lot race level, I rarely fail to finish somewhere in the top 3 (Nitro anyways). I need that EXTRA edge for my electric racing. Thats the reason for the Dyno.

NOTE TO ALL!!!

I COULD build my own DIY Dyno but I have been too busy with "Pennies for battery bars" (read the thread)
Old 11-21-2002, 01:05 PM   #34
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Aeon Racer

Heh, "getting even". It's all good.

Anyhoo, as far as buyable dyno's are concerned, I've seen people use the Integy one with some success. As far top of the lot, I'd probably say Robitronics dyno is up there. Anything that give you detailed readouts should do the job really.
Aeon Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 02:17 AM   #35
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to JesseT

As far as I know, non of the aftermarket dynos measure power from very low revs. Most of the dynos like the Robitronics still show numbers, but they are just based on a guess. But then again it's not very important. It's just one of those thing one notices after designing a flywheel dyno. It's quite easy to do write good software for a computer, but making good and effective code for a stand-alone machine is a difficult task and I'm not so sure if the aftermarket dynos are really that good. Surely good enough, but surely not the best. Well still I haven't tried them all, but I would say go for the Robitronics Dyno. That must be good because it's European quality
JesseT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 09:49 AM   #36
Tech Fanatic

Well, to throw another wrench into the works.......I went to practice at my local track yesterday, and one of the faster prostock guys showed up with a very trick little dyno. As a rather practiced RC spy, and the fact that he was silly enough to set up across the table from me, I felt duty-bound to check it out.

It was grey in color and about the same dimensions as a millinium charger. It said "ETX" or "ETC" or something like that on the top, which appeared to be the model. It was not "XTM", that brand Hobbypeople now carries. I looked for a manunacturer name, but saw none. It had what looked like a port that could be connected to a computer, and motor break-in feature that the guy was using. An digital indigo blue display, about the size and angle of the millinium display showed what the thing was doing.

When I casually asked if it was a dyno, the guy said "yes", then wisked it off the table, putting it away. I asked him what brand it was, and he just looked moon-faced. I went for the throat and asked if it was a proto-type and he said "yes, very proto-type, come out soon". He would not define soon for me. He was in a panic that I had even seen it and the two guys he was with were looking at each other with a distressed look on their faces.

This was a VERY finished looking tool.........all it needed was a manufacturers name and a price tag. Didn't get a chance to see many features, but it did look trick.

Could there be a new generation of new toys coming out?

Last edited by Graphitedust; 11-22-2002 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-22-2002, 10:39 AM   #37
Tech Regular

Pops: I am going to try this again. I answered Wed, but the post went to never - never land....blasted firewall at work!!

I have had a Fantom, sold that and bought the TurboDyno 45 I use now. Very happy with the turbo. CE/CS are not the same. I forgot CS name, but CE is Competiton Electronics in Chicago. they make the Turbo 35. Made the TD i n the past, but the unit is still supported. I have talked to Jim @CE many times with questions. the dyno's they made were the 30 & 45, referances the amp load of the unit. they still calibrate and update the units, add backlight and cases for a reasonable cost. The TD can almost always be found on e-bay for sale and hold their value. JMO i would buy another turbo in a second. I am know at the track for making HP, just wish I could drive better

Robo: Glen, TMFU on the hobby talk boards is a big user and supporter of this dyno. I never used one.

CE: Big Jim Greenemeyer is the proponent here rccars.com His forum, he is a motor guru developer of the P2K

Fantom: Software wish send Dave Clary a note, he wrote the package they use deccosoftware.com I had the fantom tell my motor was a dog, tests at 5v. ran the motor is pratice and it was a rocket. The motor that fantom said was best was slower. This happened twice, that is why I sold the unit. Fantom does not fit my style. As you know the tool has to fit your needs to work well.

Integy Dyno: Not a true dyno, used one a bud had and was not impressed.

Sorry on the links, but it is the best I can do as my hard drive puked yesterday. One of thoes dependable IBM DLA units
Using my laptop which is brand new and n o saved links.

JesseT: Euro quality huh............ I could say something..... but considering I wear a Swiss watch (Omega) and use Polar ( woner were they are??) heart rate gear, swiss coffee maker, hudy tools, and campain a X-Ray ......
polarelectro.fi

Last edited by RC Nitro; 11-22-2002 at 10:41 AM.
RC Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 05:34 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Default Dyno, dynos & more dynos

I have a headache.

RC Nitro;

It is my understanding that the "CE" Dyno is no longer produced. Is this correct?

Graphitedust;

Reedy and Integy chargers are "Grey" in color, hummmm, maybe?

Integy has been REAL busy churning out hot little tuning tools lately. I have their Set-up gauges and Laser Tweek board. Good stuff at a good price.
Old 11-22-2002, 08:41 PM   #39
Tech Fanatic

What I saw was not an Reedy or Integy product. I'm very familiar with both and know their product lines. I know most of the Assoc./Reedy guys and know its not them. Integy? Maybe something new from them, though they already have a low-end one now. I checked their website last night and saw no new dynos listed or upcoming. I think time may tell.

Looks to me that no matter what it was I saw, you'd still be hard pressed to go wrong with the dynos that are out there now.....I say go for whatever your needs and wallet will afford!!!!! If your a gearhead like me, you could be listed as a missing person playing with this thing! Lots of fun!

My personnel view on buying tools: Buy the best you can. Unless they are stolen or you give them away, it's something that you will have a lifetime. Case in point- My ancient Tekin 112a and 112b chargers are still going strong after ten years of being used every week.....

Last edited by Graphitedust; 11-22-2002 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-23-2002, 07:11 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Default See-sawing on Dynos

Well I'm see-sawing back and forth between the Fantom and the Robitronics.
Most people who have the Robi, believe that the extra features justify the price over the Fantom.
I have E-mailed Fantom support about the 7 volt modification but have not received an answer yet.

Next Question;

Does anybody know of who has the Robitronics Dyno in stock (anywhere)?

Thanks,
Old 11-24-2002, 08:31 AM   #41
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Northerner
Thumbs up Robitronic is the way to go!!

i would have to say that the Robitronic is the best dyno!

1 it has variable volt settings for testing 4 cell & 6 cell configurations.

2 it tells everything you need to know & more! (amps, RPM, efficiency, torque, time, etc..)

3 it is self contained so you dont need a laptop

4 it also works as a highend charger

5 you can save the data for each motor to compare later

6 you can print out the data

Trinity was using Robi dynos for years till they switched to the Fantom, and the only reason they switched was to save money!!

i may be a little biased tho since im a dealer for Robitronic, but they just make one fantastic dyno! you wont ever regret getting one!!

http://www.robitronic.com
Northerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 08:56 AM   #42
Tech Elite

Default Useful information

Northerner;

THIS is the kind of information that I was looking for with my original post.

I'm 99% sure now that I want the Robi instead of the Fantom.
I sent you an E-mail inquiring about purchase.

Thanks,
Old 11-25-2002, 04:59 AM   #43
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to JesseT

RC Nitro:
Glad to see you use Finnish quality products Most people just know the biggest brands like Nokia.
Popsracer:
I think you will be happy with the Robitronic.
JesseT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 05:31 AM   #44
Tech Regular

Pops: Yes CE is no longer made, but is still well supported. See you made the other board Go by 300M there. TMFU is real good on the Robo. Fantom will do a 7v mod, I did call when I had one. They do not like it as the dyno spins >30K at 7v. They are not big on this mod.

JesseT: Love my polar stuff. Have 3 units, original pacer that my dad still uses 12 years old, my vantage XL w/interface 10+ and now the S710. Vantage is dying so I upgraded last year to the 710. Great products and good info on the site. I knew about Nokia, have one of them too & a motorola.
RC Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 11:03 AM   #45
Tech Elite

Default Decided on the Robitronics

Now that I've narrowed it down to 99% of getting the Robi.

Does anyone know of a REPUTABLE and SECURE place to order one from? (Tower is O.O.S.)