Search
Like Tree6Likes

minipro 540 motor dyno

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pphaneuf
And it's also possible that you might need that peak power at a slower part of the track, more than you need top speed on the straight, so that gearing solely on the temperature might not be the best way?
I have had situations where gearing up to reach a maximum allowable motor temperature gave slower lap times than a shorter gear ratio did. It's most common in classes like 17.5/1s 12th scale and 25.5/2s VTA, and very dependent on track layout and ambient temperature.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'd like to purchase one but I'm unsure of the options available and what I should be getting. I only do off road buggy for 8th and 10th scale. What would be the best options for me in regards to a flywheel? I do 13.5 and below.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:51 PM
Tech Rookie

The miniPro dyno is great. The reputability is amazing.
papogator24 likes this.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:59 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Originally Posted by XcelerantRC
The miniPro dyno is great. The reputability is amazing.
You just need to take out a secured loan on your house to afford one, then another on your car to cover the excessive freight costs.

Bang for buck the Eagle Racing MD2 Dyno does a similar job without ripping your heart out through your hip pocket. The Minipro dyno has potential, but they need to be priced more competitively.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
You just need to take out a secured loan on your house to afford one, then another on your car to cover the excessive freight costs.

Bang for buck the Eagle Racing MD2 Dyno does a similar job without ripping your heart out through your hip pocket. The Minipro dyno has potential, but they need to be priced more competitively.
Where do you find the Eagle Racing MD2 Dyno??
Old 05-21-2017, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

MD2 was only ever available in Japan AFAIK.

Also is now discontinued. So second hand is the only option.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

I just received mine the other day and did a few runs. Still trying to decipher what I'm supposed to be looking at. It looks and feels like a quality product. The owner provides great customer service and helped me solve a few issues. Here's a few runs I did with a 17.5 slingshot paired with tekin RS Gen 2 spec.

Would it be better to also get a motor analyzer to be able to set the amps?
Old 05-31-2017, 10:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by papogator24
I just received mine the other day and did a few runs. Still trying to decipher what I'm supposed to be looking at. It looks and feels like a quality product. The owner provides great customer service and helped me solve a few issues. Here's a few runs I did with a 17.5 slingshot paired with tekin RS Gen 2 spec.

You don't need a motor analyzer to set amps. You just need a DC Am meter. But a lot of companies like Motiv has explicitly stated not to set timing by amp and instead look at temperature and performance characteristics. In other words, amps aren't the end all be all. I don't know if I agree, but that's what they are saying.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi papogator,

Your runs look really consistent. I am surprised by your power and torque numbers. Generally my experience for 17.5 you should see power above 150W and torque around 200.

Do you have your shunt set up for the correct value in the dyno settings? Set by using the dip switches on the back.

Good luck!

AJ
Old 05-31-2017, 01:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Unspoiled
Hi papogator,

Your runs look really consistent. I am surprised by your power and torque numbers. Generally my experience for 17.5 you should see power above 150W and torque around 200.

Do you have your shunt set up for the correct value in the dyno settings? Set by using the dip switches on the back.

Good luck!

AJ
Thanks, that's what Jose at Minipro. We went over the settings to ensure I had it correct and I do. I just need to learn how to play things around. I need to get another flywheel for the lower turn motors.
Unspoiled likes this.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks, that's what Jose at Minipro. We went over the settings to ensure I had it correct and I do. I just need to learn how to play things around. I need to get another flywheel for the lower turn motors.

I've talked to Jose a lot. He's great! I was also burned by the same thing!

You should be seeing higher numbers for your torque and power.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Any updates on the minipro dyno yet?? How are you guys making out with results??
Old 07-31-2017, 07:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by tandman
Any updates on the minipro dyno yet?? How are you guys making out with results??
Hey sorry I haven't responded. I fried my esc doing a run with my 6.5 and my sensor couldn't handle the high amp draw. Just got a new one but if I want to test motors stronger than 13.5, I have to wait for a sensor with 200 amps that's in the works. The dyno is very accurate and such a neat toy. Unfortunately, I don't run 13.5 class but I haven't had anyone send me a motor yet. I'm way too busy working on my cpa firm and a full time job.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Default esc controller

Hello,
I've just put my dyno together and am trying to get the esc controller working. It seems like I am able to get through the esc calibration, but I don't have a button on the screen that says "activate esc control" like the instructions show.

Is there something I'm missing?
Thanks
Old 08-04-2017, 06:02 AM
Tech Initiate

wow, I had sent an email in for support as well, but being after hours, I wasn't expecting a reply. I got an immediate reply!

I'm using a windows tablet to run the dyno, and it has a small screen size. There is a very small button with even smaller arrows on it on the far right of the menu that if you click it, expands out and shows the buttons I was trying to find.

I have my dyno all hooked up and working now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.