minipro 540 motor dyno

Like Tree5Likes

minipro 540 motor dyno

Old 03-28-2018, 07:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cplus View Post
Thread Dig

Interested to know what type of ESC everyone is using for their minipro dyno?

Currently setting one up. Have options!

HW V3.1
R1 digital 2
ORCA VX3
LRP Flow

Plus others!
I use an LRP Flow
Old 03-29-2018, 02:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cplus View Post
Thread Dig

Interested to know what type of ESC everyone is using for their minipro dyno?

Currently setting one up. Have options!

HW V3.1
R1 digital 2
ORCA VX3
LRP Flow

Plus others!
I would try to use what you are racing with. You can also test different speedo settings to see how they impact motor performance as well. That's hard to relate if you are running one speedo on the dyno and another in your car.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:24 PM
TC5
Tech Initiate

Hello all ,

I have been looking at the Minipro Chassis dyno combined with the motor dyno - any experience on this ? Its over 1000 USD so price is a big factor - I would think that the chassis dyno takes into account gearing and tranny loss's ect which is better in terms of setting up - and advice is gladly appreciated .
Old 04-04-2018, 10:17 AM
Tech Initiate

I would only get one or the other. They both have pro's and con's

The motor only allows you to drill down one variable at a time. Rather that being motors, rotors, timing, batteries, esc and so one. You can change one variable and retest with realitive ease.
The chassis dyno allows you to test all variables at the same time. Now this can be precieved as good. The bad being that there are so many variables that you can't tell if your change did anything or if something else caused the change.
I prefer the motor dyno not only a cost thing but I like to eliminate as many variables as possible. Example would be: I change the rotor to a stronger one and now the tires slip on the roller, now data is useless. So a chassis dyno adds so many layers you never really know. Best to know your motor is as strong as you can make it and the track will tell the rest. (Gearing, tire traction, diff set up, shocks and so on.)
Just my thoughts. Hope it helps.
pphaneuf likes this.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 308 (100%+)

I have had a Mini Pro Dyno for a while now, and having come from an Eagle Racing MD2 dyno I can't say I am impressed with it.

Firstly mine shipped without any belts or pulleys so was a battle just trying to get that rectified, then had a faulty logic board (usb plug wasn't soldered on right so fell off) and now that I have it working, the exported .csv values aren't recognised by rc crew chief. The motor mount is a royal pain in the backside compared to the MD2, and even if you pay the extra for the quick release mount (I mean after ponying up how much for the dyno?) you still have to fiddle with the pulley tension etc and accessing some really difficult to locate slider screws (which I would replace with Hardened screws, the included screws with the dyno look like they are $1 store rejects and strip VERY easily).

So at this point, it's an expensive bit of desk bling, but I wouldn't buy one again. If you can find an MD2 (now discontinued) 2nd hand, jump on it, it's a far more compact and robust unit.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
I have had a Mini Pro Dyno for a while now, and having come from an Eagle Racing MD2 dyno I can't say I am impressed with it..
I too am a little disappointed. First there's a lot of good looking and well thought out parts. Jose has been mostly helpful in working with the problems I've had. Like it the screen being messed up when running on a laptop.

The screws are cheap. I had a problem with the pulley on the flywheel coming loose and pretty much destroying the output shaft. If you don't get that set screw just right, it doesn't hold. Also felt there was too much slop in the flywheel bearings. It caused a lot of vibration.

The location of the motor mount screws is a pain. I replaced the right one with a stud then tapped an Extacto handle to make it easier.

But my biggest problem is the errors the software creates on the power measurements. I can replicate the problem and even the test file that Jose sent me from his dyno had the same error. Not exactly sure how he's calculating RPMs in his software, but every time the software increments the number of rotations of the flywheel, the next 2 power measurements are way off.

To minimize this, I increased the sample rate so I could ignore these readings.

I've got some microcontroller programming experience and have considered reverse engineering his firmware. But I haven't been able to decode the serial output and just don't have the time to do so.

It's a cool tool and very helpful when testing timing changes or comparing 2 motors. But for the price, would have a expected a little better
Old 04-09-2018, 05:01 AM
TC5
Tech Initiate

Thanks guys for the feedback - so where to from here ?

Macpappy ? The eagle tree logger doenst work on windows 10 and eagle tree didnt really want to help.

Looks like the eagle racing might be the solution ?
Old 04-09-2018, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

I have my Eagletree working on Windows 10, just make sure you download the latest firmware and have all the Windows 10 updates to resolve the usb charging thing.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Hello,

I have the MD2, fantom dyno, eagle tree, and minipro motor & chassis dyno, and I think I prefer the minipro dynos better

1. Support: I’m not a tech savvy when it comes down to computers, but I bother Jose a lot and he always find time to help me out with issues that I had, even non-related dyno issues. Thus, if you need help, you will get it!

2. I do get occasionally outliers in the data which is normal. This is a raw data acquisition board which means errors in the data (noise) are normal. I compared my results with the eagle tree and they were very close; so i doubt there is some calculation error in the dyno.

3. Screws: Agreed…they are a couple of screws that needs improvement; but that was not a big issue for me.

4. Flywheel: I got all 4 flywheels and they are quite nice; my output shaft has 2 set screws with a flat key to avoid slippage. Maybe they revise that?

5. I can test my quad motors - which is quite nice!
Old 05-08-2018, 10:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TC5 View Post
Thanks guys for the feedback - so where to from here ?

Macpappy ? The eagle tree logger doenst work on windows 10 and eagle tree didnt really want to help.

Looks like the eagle racing might be the solution ?
Arduino and the MD2. parts are cheap and recent side by side comparisons that Bob (rc crew chief) posted on youtube show that it works. I am waiting for my flywheel to be finished and then will be testing. I don't have the MD2, but a little creativity on building a holder is all you need.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Will this dyno work with brushed motors?
Old 07-12-2018, 02:15 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RCBuddha View Post
Will this dyno work with brushed motors?
Yes, you use a brushed esc. The dyno itself doesn't care if it's a brushed or brushless motor.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I just picked one of these up used from a local racer taking a break. I run blinky 1/12 17.5 and blinky usgt 21.5. What settings are you using for the test? It's currently set for 30% for 5 seconds, 100% for .5 second and then logs 100% for 30 seconds
Old 08-04-2018, 12:11 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Checkout Nick Adams' channel on Youtube. He has lots of mini pro dyno video setups there. I think he had his set for 10% for two seconds, then 100% throttle for six seconds, then 100% brakes until the motor stops ....

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 08-04-2018 at 03:45 PM.