R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   FK05 or FT TC4??? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/95929-fk05-ft-tc4.html)

Terry M 01-01-2006 08:00 PM

FK05 or FT TC4???

I'm thinking about buying one of these. I didn't mention the Xray T2 because I don't think parts will be available soon enough.

I want to hear everyone's opinions on which one they think will be the better car and why.

The car I buy will be raced on both CARPET and ASPHALT.

Thank you in advance for your imput. :)

ChrisP 01-01-2006 08:17 PM

How soon will you be needing parts?

You can get a killer deal on a used FK05 right now...but don't let parts availability on the T2 scare you off if you're planning on buying new..it's still unknown what the spare parts situation will be when the kits arrive, but certainly RCA will be moving to stock parts as quickly as possible considering the high demand for this kit.

Terry M 01-01-2006 08:24 PM

I have my name on the preorder list for a T2 but missed out on the first shipment from Speedtech. They're telling me now the end of January/early Feb.

I want to start racing within the next month or so... :(

ChrisP 01-01-2006 08:29 PM

Don't make a rash or impulsive decision...getting set up with a touring car for the first time is a major investment...

If you can't get in on the first shipment of T2's there is a very real possibility that within the next month or so the second shipment will also be available...

Don't get me wrong..the FK05 is still a very high performance kit...butif you're going to be bouncing back and forth between carpet and asphalt the adjustability of the T2 could prove to be a nice bonus.

Terry M 01-01-2006 08:42 PM

I totally agre with you Chris and by the way I'm not a stranger to onroad. I raced a BMI TC4 last summer and did real well with it. I'm just trying to get some positive imput about the latest cars out there.

P.S. I've never owned a belt drive car either but all the Xrays I've raced with look super smooth. The idea of having 1 chassis for any track is a big plus! :nod:

MOJO 01-01-2006 08:45 PM

Xray; hands down!!But if you do decide on FT TC4 get plenty of spare arms and caster blocks!! :nod:

stiltskin 01-01-2006 08:46 PM

Check the T2 thread. I think that Horsham Racing keeps saying that he has initial kits that aren't spoken for. I think that the car is worth the wait. Just saw one running this past weekend and it was fast. :nod:

rmargiotta 01-01-2006 08:49 PM

I know my avatar and signature may seem like I have a biased opinion, but a long time ago I got a FT TC3 because I was getting impatient and after running it for the first weekend I regretted the decision. RC America is getting some general replacement parts in with the T2's your retailer will just have to order these... If you can find one, I would definitely buy a touring car once and get a T2.

rmargiotta 01-01-2006 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by stiltskin
Check the T2 thread. I think that Horsham Racing keeps saying that he has initial kits that aren't spoken for. I think that the car is worth the wait. Just saw one running this past weekend and it was fast. :nod:

You could also possibly try Ultimately Hobbies or Superior hobbies or TQ hobbies down in Florida, I've heard they usually have kits, just give them a call and see whats up.

BlackKat 01-01-2006 09:02 PM

I have both the FK05 and the FT TC4. I think both cars are great and can go just as fast as each other but the XRay cars (FK04 & FK05) require less work and are easier to get dialed in

wcalaker 01-01-2006 11:31 PM

Straight up the Fk is the better car. Stronger in the right places. Easier to dial in and holds its adjustments better. Can make you a better driver.

Parts is its downfall. Twice as much and ten times as hard to get for certain items. I just bought a used 05 and was thinking about the FT. I already have a TC3 and was recommended to get the FK over the FT. But i cant even find a battery strap locally for this and ive been looking for weeks. The local hobby stores dont even know when they are going to get them. This car is only a year old and i could understand if it was just released but cmon.

Associated parts, if they dont have them another store will. If parts availabilty frustrate you , you might want to look at the FT and just get aluminum arms and blocks. You'll break em more but you can get em.

It also seems rather unknown (or understated at least) that the FT's chassis is adjustable for stiffness. It states on their website (one that really needs work i might add :) )that you can adjust for carpet and asphalt without having to change the chassis .

A. Rhodes 01-02-2006 05:24 AM

I personally would go with the FTTC4, but I am also brand loyal to AE. The Xray is a great car, but price and parts support are always things to figure in when racing. Either car in the hands of the right driver can win any race.

jiml 01-02-2006 05:36 AM

Yea, you can add or remove screws from the center spline plate. Most of the team setup sheets show it full stiff though.

If you have a BMI chassis why do you want a FT TC4? They're practically the same. I have a BMI TC4 and I'm right there with the FT cars. I was thinking about doing the same thing when I spoke to another racer who's opinion I respect (he's faster than me). He just got the FT TC4. I told him I was thinking FT or X-Ray. I also told him I never drove an X-Ray before. He was like you won't believe how easy it is to drive a belt car. It's just unfair! The belt car may not be faster, but they are alot easier to set up.

So I'm #1 on the T2 list at my hobby shop.

hugovdb 01-02-2006 05:48 AM

Get the T2 men :nod: :D I mean really .. get it !! :D :D

kufman 01-02-2006 08:14 AM

The X-ray is the better car.