Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
YOKOMO Touring Car BD-8 >

YOKOMO Touring Car BD-8

Like Tree100Likes

YOKOMO Touring Car BD-8

Reply

Old 09-26-2018, 12:34 AM
  #886  
Tech Initiate
 
NumptyRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 47
Default

Originally Posted by DaSilva3525 View Post
Just want to jump in here and hype the thread some

I have been running the BD7 16 kit's for the last couple years in 17.5 and USGT. I have had awesome results with the kit's even though most gave up on them or found them to tricky. I can say I have mastered the 16's and have tuned just about everything on the car many times over so I am very familiar with them.. no complaints. When I seen the first gen BD8 come out I wasn't to eager to jump on board as I personally didn't see me spending the money on a new kit for some nice changes but not everything I wanted in that design at the time. Once the SV kit came out with the bigger pulleys that got amped to get in on the BD8 sooner then later. I ended up buying a 2018 kit at the time the SV's were no longer being sold.

Basically everything I wanted for upgrades the latest BD8 kit has that I desire. I didn't even want to want for the 19 because it's going to be a whole new redesign from what I've been hearing. Front hubs, rear hubs, center belt design, light weight plastic spool, alum front outdrives instead of steel (great for my spec racing), bigger diff pulleys, base chassis plate and upper deck, pitch control rod etc etc.. I knew it was going to be quicker with the exact same set up from my 16 BD7 to my 18 Bd8 but really wanted to know for sure.After finishing a big 17.5 race locally with my BD7 I went back the following day and swapped all my electronics over to the BD8. Same gearing, motor, springs, Chassis tune up etc. Right off the bat, the first few corners I could tell how much "free'er" it felt and how much faster it was overall but especially with corner speed. I was instantly .2 tenths quicker each lap and ended up .3-.4 quicker then my fastest previous lap on my BD7. I raced these past couple weekends and it just keeps getting faster with each session. Took the 17.5 A last Sunday and can't wait to get back to the track for more, this thing picked up where my old car left off and I love that

It's a story post I know.. I just wanted to shed some of my experience's with the Yokomo Brand cars. I truly feel they are on the highest level of TC and may not get the same love in North America as it does over seas. 17.5 is my favourite class and this kit just fit's my program 110%. I will be following up with some pics and later set up sheets for black carpet.
Going to run my 18 for the first time today, have been running the 16 also, felt I got the best out of it and needed more. Hope I have the same experience of it being quicker through the corners!
NumptyRacing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:31 AM
  #887  
Tech Adept
 
DaSilva3525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 203
Default

Originally Posted by NumptyRacing View Post
Going to run my 18 for the first time today, have been running the 16 also, felt I got the best out of it and needed more. Hope I have the same experience of it being quicker through the corners!
Giver man! let us know how it goes.


DaSilva3525 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:32 AM
  #888  
Tech Adept
 
DaSilva3525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 203
Default

So after a couple days out with the new car the Ball cups got loose on the ball stud... What open end ball cups are guys upgrading too?

edit* Never mind, found some good info a few pages back

Last edited by DaSilva3525; 09-28-2018 at 07:59 AM.
DaSilva3525 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 01:43 PM
  #889  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (8)
 
dawgmeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,570
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

�� Brand new YOKOMO BD9 coming soon ��

www.teamyokomo.eu

Yokomo BD series has been leading the world's most competitive RC car category 1/10 EP Touring car, and achieved the 2 times consequent winning at IFMAR world championships in 2014 and 2016, and got the second place in 2018.

Yokomo aims to recapture the top finish in the world championship in 2020, fully remodel BD8 and now introduce the new release of BD9.

The all new BD9 has redesigned all of the drivetrain and suspension system, and newly designed more than 90% of the components by thorough practical test at the several race at multiple type of track surface condition. Moreover, we reviewed the material and designed it with new shape, and
gained the best advanced performance that promises reliable operation when driving in the extreme state during the race.
It is all new designed for performance more than visible change.

In addition, the new shock absorber is the kit standard which is Big Bore Ultra Short Shock dedicated to BD9 produced by collaboration with AXON inc. The biggest feature of BD9 is that it is a machine that everyone can enjoy the race activities at the highest levels, above all, it has a high-class basic design eliminating difficult behavior and more less running cost.
caltek1 and silden like this.
dawgmeat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:09 AM
  #890  
Tech Initiate
 
NumptyRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 47
Default

Originally Posted by DaSilva3525 View Post
Giver man! let us know how it goes.
I've been able to run it twice now, it is a lot better at carrying speed through the corners and was able to take all the drag brake off too, pretty much ended up with the same setup as the 16 just needs a little more rotation now
NumptyRacing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:18 AM
  #891  
Tech Adept
 
DaSilva3525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 203
Default

Originally Posted by NumptyRacing View Post
I've been able to run it twice now, it is a lot better at carrying speed through the corners and was able to take all the drag brake off too, pretty much ended up with the same setup as the 16 just needs a little more rotation now
Nice, I have been floating between 1.7 rear toe and 1.4 degrees. You will need the Separate B suspension pieces for the RF to get below the 1.7 degree toe mark but worth having in the pit box for sure.
DaSilva3525 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:31 AM
  #892  
Tech Adept
 
DaSilva3525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 203
Default

Following up with my current Settings from this month. The car has been awesome, dialed, hooked, fast and repeating good results. I run on CRC black carpet above med to high grip. No traction rolling or weird glitches.. I can put the car where I want and it does what I need it too Posted the set up sheet If you care to reference or get ideas. I still have to try the center pitch rod, I have it in my pit bag just haven't had the test time.

NumptyRacing likes this.
DaSilva3525 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 12:51 PM
  #893  
Tech Master
iTrader: (14)
 
mikeygar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,212
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

@dasilva3525, nice setup. I'm running something quite similar in our outdoor asphalt track and have my rear toe set at 1.7 and am enjoying the rotation. Are you running a rear chassis brace? Which motor mount are you using?

Curious about your running weight though. I have the same ESC and battery, but running a JP8 with lots of shoe goo and aside from the 20g, had to add 10 more to make 1320.
mikeygar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:44 AM
  #894  
Tech Adept
 
DaSilva3525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 203
Default

Originally Posted by mikeygar View Post
@dasilva3525, nice setup. I'm running something quite similar in our outdoor asphalt track and have my rear toe set at 1.7 and am enjoying the rotation. Are you running a rear chassis brace? Which motor mount are you using?

Curious about your running weight though. I have the same ESC and battery, but running a JP8 with lots of shoe goo and aside from the 20g, had to add 10 more to make 1320.
Thanks, I'm a little late on the reply. I forgot to add I have two 10G weights up front by the steering. I am using the factory 2018 Motor mount (pcs style) But I just ordered the older motor mount and AME Back bone. I heard this is a huge improvement so I am going to give it a shot and excited to hopefully gain more corner speed and stability. Also I bought the 2018 kit as carbon and bought a 2017 Alum chassis on a deal which I have been running. So I'm finally switching to the 2018 Alum chassis as well (seems like a lot less flex). I might try 1.4 toe if the stability is there in the next coming sessions.

Just got a PF D9 painted and mounted, going to test that back to back against my Favoured type S
DaSilva3525 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:14 AM
  #895  
Tech Adept
 
DaSilva3525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 203
Default

My 2018 Chassis, motor mount and ame back bone came in sooner then I thought :O I already installed the chassis and brace last night. Will update with pics later to give a better view of the brace. Massive difference with much less flex over my old set up, can't wait to try it this weekend.








For reference

2017 Alum chassis 89G
2018 Alum chassis 99G

2017 Motor mount 10.8g
2018 Motor mount 15g

Ame alum back bone 3.7G

So I basically gained 10G on the chassis which I am fine with, the motor mount and back bone cancel out. I usually have to add weight.
DaSilva3525 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:13 AM
  #896  
Tech Adept
 
DaSilva3525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 203
Default

Forgot to snap some assembled pics. The 18 chassis and ame brace worked flawless, from the first pack I could tell the difference in stiffness and corner speed. Feels very flat and predictable.. on power was beauty overall very happy with the mod. I would recommend the back bone brace 100%.

Last edited by DaSilva3525; 11-12-2018 at 08:36 AM.
DaSilva3525 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:06 AM
  #897  
Tech Master
iTrader: (14)
 
mikeygar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,212
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by DaSilva3525 View Post
Thanks, I'm a little late on the reply. I forgot to add I have two 10G weights up front by the steering. I am using the factory 2018 Motor mount (pcs style) But I just ordered the older motor mount and AME Back bone. I heard this is a huge improvement so I am going to give it a shot and excited to hopefully gain more corner speed and stability. Also I bought the 2018 kit as carbon and bought a 2017 Alum chassis on a deal which I have been running. So I'm finally switching to the 2018 Alum chassis as well (seems like a lot less flex). I might try 1.4 toe if the stability is there in the next coming sessions.

Just got a PF D9 painted and mounted, going to test that back to back against my Favoured type S
Hey buddy,

I tried running 1.4 last Saturday and the car would just over rotate on exit so am going back to 1.7 haha. I'm running a 2018 with the 2017 motor mount and carbon brace from Bezerk, and my 2017 with the PCS motor mount. My 2018 seems to feel so much better with the brace, especially mid to exit.

Good luck with your new gear, looks awesome!
mikeygar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:35 PM
  #898  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (4)
 
RKeasler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Posts: 896
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by DaSilva3525 View Post
Forgot to snap some assembled pics. The 18 chassis and ame brace worked flawless, from the first pack I could tell the difference in stiffness and corner speed. Feels very flat and predictable.. on power was beauty overall very happy with the mod. I would recommend the back bone brace 100%.
What mods did you make to install the brace if any, does it just feel better or actually transfer to laptimes
RKeasler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:40 PM
  #899  
Tech Adept
 
DaSilva3525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 203
Default

Originally Posted by mikeygar View Post
Hey buddy,

I tried running 1.4 last Saturday and the car would just over rotate on exit so am going back to 1.7 haha. I'm running a 2018 with the 2017 motor mount and carbon brace from Bezerk, and my 2017 with the PCS motor mount. My 2018 seems to feel so much better with the brace, especially mid to exit.

Good luck with your new gear, looks awesome!
I had a feeling 1.4 toe may be asking a lot :P lol.. Yea the brace mid to exit feels like the car has no limit. I was already super happy with the car but this was a bonus and put it over the top.
DaSilva3525 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:48 PM
  #900  
Tech Adept
 
DaSilva3525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 203
Default

Originally Posted by RKeasler View Post
What mods did you make to install the brace if any, does it just feel better or actually transfer to laptimes
When I got the brace I realized quick the holes had no threads. Before I got home I put a message on their page and got a quick reply. Need some longer flat heads but the screws go through the brace and into the alum yokomo fan mount and through the battery holder on the other side. In the middle you use a nut to sandwich to the chassis.. I had a spare shock ball and used it. The main thing is you have to have the 2017 motor mount as the 2018 one is longer and covers the middle hole. Or you cut the 2018 mount and Dremel it down to make it work.

The car on the same layout was able to be pushed much harder in the sweepers, and some other key areas. I went quicker then I ever had on the same layout. Like mentioned in the other reply mid to exit feels greatly improved. Feels like a "new kit update" almost in a away with no draw back I feel. Apparently even in low grip or asphalt everyone has had a positive result. I dropped the $ on the motor mount so the total added up a bit but I knew the cost was going to be worth the reward and the last session out confirmed it for me.
DaSilva3525 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service