R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-14-2002, 09:46 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Which first? new ESC, radio system, or servo?...

I am still using standard TC3 RTR issue electronics, and I am getting ready to upgrade. I pretty much know what I want to upgrade to, and they are listed below... But; Which first?

Keyence Zero V-Extreme ESC
Airtronics M8 w/Novak Xxtra Receiver
Airtronics 94757Z Servo Digital Servo Z

You see; I am not a wealthy man, so I will most likely purchase one at a time. Thanks for any input!

Greg
GKHTC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 09:57 AM   #2
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

If you would like the car to run better, then the ESC or Servo. If you would like to "feel" better then the M8. It won't make your car go faster.......but will keep you more busy trying to learning the functions!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 10:41 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Firstly, what will you use it for? Racing? I say a better ESC. It will feel faster and smoother. I recommend the LRP Quantum series (get the best you can afford.) You really don't need all those features the Keyence has, like that LCD text screen... unless you're willing to spend the money for it. It's not bad.

Next i'd get an FM radio, because standard servos aren't that bad, until you're good enough. The Futaba 3PDF or the new Airtronics MX-3 FM radios might be the best deals. They come with all the basic functions.

Last edited by Aurra Sing; 11-14-2002 at 10:44 AM.
Aurra Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 12:48 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

I say the ESC also. I would go ahead and get the keyence over a Quantum Comp. I've seen and heard too many horror stories with Quantum Comps. I even have had one die myself. The Keyence ESC on the other hand, all I've heard about it is positive.
Cyclonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 12:48 PM   #5
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

I agree (not that you really would care if I agree or not. . . )

I would go a step further, though.

Upgrade your servo first. You will notice a dramatic improvement in reaction time with that. I wouldn't go to the ultimate high speed servo (not sure where the 757 is) but something that's got good speed.

Then, well, I'm not sure what speedo is in the rtr. If it's at least a decent speedo, you might think about going to the radio before the speedo. I've had a bad radio and I know what kind of jump that I made upon getting my M8. . .it was significant. But if the speedo's crap, definitely, get the speedo first.
Old 11-14-2002, 12:49 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Yes. I am going to run the full season next year with the Mid South Racing Assoc. I have already switched the car over to many of the Factory Team pieces, and I am running a P2K2 Pro. So. I'm learning to drive the TC3. We use Road Domes for practicing. So there is some discipline there. I'm thinking I will go ahead with the Keyence Zero V, then - the better servo.

As far as radios, I know how expensive the M8 is, and I guess the main reason I want to go with it, is all of the nice functions, plus with that new synthesized module they will be introducing in Jan. '03. I like the idea of not needing any crystals. A bit of overkill, I suppose, and I guess there is some justification, however. Many of the guys in the club use them. How necessary is it really? I'm not sure. Obviously, when racing with a lot of people, the crystal thing can be a hassle, I suppose. 5 of us race here at work, and 'still' we use the standard AM radio. It works.

And; I have looked into the MX3 Airtronics. Looks like a nice radio, and it's FM. I'm certainly not trying to impress anyone with my gear, I just want to learn to drive well, and have the 'right' equipment, and get it right the first time, so later on, I don't wish I had purchased something a little better.

The standard RTR ESC is an LRP Runner.

Greg

Last edited by GKHTC3; 11-14-2002 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-14-2002, 01:11 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Talking Dito on the Servo

I think that was the best item that I bought for my car's ..and since I have a local track with lots of quick switch backs it helped a whole bunch

BTW its a
KO Servo PDS2123..
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 03:16 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

If your serious about racing in the stock class you don't need to go that high on the Speedo. It's way overkill for stock. For the price you pay for the Keyence you could pick up a Novak TC2 and a Hitec HS925MG servo. Those would still be overkill for stock but at least the combo would improve your car vs just the speedo and a slow standard servo. And you could probably find the pair on eBay or these boards for around $120. If you really need digital (which you don't) then the HS5625MG is a little slower but fast enough for any track you race.

Don't get to caught up in all the low resistance stuff about the high end speedos. Most people can't even solder well enough to take advantage of the differences between the high end and mid range models.

If you check the for sale boards and search my name you'll see the 10 cars 5 speedos 4 chargers 20 batts 2 controllers (JR R-1 and M8) and $200+ receivers and tons of other RC stuff I've sold. So believe me when I say I have tried them all. I win enough to know what is good and what is hype.

My recommendations for doing it right with no regrets would be:

Novak GT7 or TC2
JR XR-3i or the New Airtronics one
Hitec HS925MG servo (cheapest out of all high end servo's and they take a beating)

If you really really have to... A used M8 is always a good deal. And you won't feel so bad the first time you scratch it.

Last edited by ChristopherKee; 11-14-2002 at 03:23 PM.
ChristopherKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 03:17 PM   #9
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

1. radio
2. servo
3. esc

in my opinion.

radio before the servo because it has end point adjustments. some of the lower end radios don't and that will burn out your servo if you have it run until it hits a mechanical stop.

servo will let you really get through the chicanes and quick sections. i just refuse to drive with a standard servo.

the esc will give you more punch, but it's something you just drop in. it doesn't need much learning. i like to reserve these types of mods for when my abilities can benefit from more speed.

but that's just me.
seaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 05:02 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

If with want a good radio with most of the same features as the M8 the Lynx 3D with the synthesized module is a good deal. Its pretty much equilvilant to the M8, but its a lot cheaper. From Tower Hobbies, you can pick it up for 300 with the Novak Xxtra reciever.
Cyclonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 05:51 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to ijnek

esc 1st for mi...
the keyence zero V xtreme is a quality esc,n with the many adjustments that u can do on it,u will have sample things 2 pay around with...

nex would b the radio,try finding 1 which is bundle up with gd-quality servos,i think the m8 comes with pretty gd quality servo...
ijnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 07:24 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Default Losts of opinons

For me, a computer radio really helped me tame my car down so I could drive it better.
A High Speed Servo will actually make your car easier to drive, at least it did for me. You don't have to anticipate the corners anymore, just turn the wheel and your gone.
I really don't think you will see much if any improvement with a new speed control. (at least in stock class)
Get the Radio first, an M-8 Transmitter can be bought seperately if you want. With the new Radio you can put that High Speed Servo in and dial out some of the response if needed. If your budget allows, buy the fastest DIGITAL servo in your favorite brand. (their all good) Once you drive with a HS servo, nothing else will do.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 07:29 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Losts of opinons

Excellent! Thanks to everyone that has responded.......

I am thinking about possibly going with the Airtronics MX3, and the Novak Xxtra Receiver to start with, followed by the Servo, then ESC. I'm just wondering if the MX3 will make me happy. Especially, since I was thinking at first about the M8.

Any preference in FM - 27mhz or 75mhz?

Greg
Old 11-14-2002, 07:38 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by seaball
1. radio
2. servo
3. esc

in my opinion.

radio before the servo because it has end point adjustments. some of the lower end radios don't and that will burn out your servo if you have it run until it hits a mechanical stop.

servo will let you really get through the chicanes and quick sections. i just refuse to drive with a standard servo.

the esc will give you more punch, but it's something you just drop in. it doesn't need much learning. i like to reserve these types of mods for when my abilities can benefit from more speed.

but that's just me.

i totally agree. buy your m8 radio first. then servo, then esc.
gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 07:55 PM   #15
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to lilshortyc3

First if I was you I would get a new ESC. The ESC on the TC3 RTR isn't such a good ESC and heard many problems about that ESC. I recommend getting the Novak GT7 because it's got 7 profiles you can make without anything else and the Quantam Competition heard once it smoked but not going to be so judgmental so I also think that it's a great ESC and many pros use it but you can't get great customer service with the LRP b/c it's a European Company and the Novak is USA. Then I would get the FM radio, Futaba/Airtronics/KO/JR are pretty good radio companies. Then I would get a Hitec servo.
lilshortyc3 is offline   Reply With Quote