Let's talk modified 1/12 >

Let's talk modified 1/12

Like Tree62Likes

Let's talk modified 1/12

Old 10-14-2016, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
The only issue with 6.5 appeared to be hand wound motors differences. Some people had big power... Most didn't.
And that is the problem with ALL spec classes
Old 10-14-2016, 06:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My .02 from the IIC and this 2s rule.

I think one thing to note straight away is that 6.5 did slow the cars down to make for more managable racing but the track (compared to most in the US) was huge. We will get to see another side at The Gate next weekend. It was as predicted in regards to motors....

My take on 6.5 was that it made it more critical to have a car that could run the track basically wide open - Knapp executed that awesome all weekend. While I don't think this will be as much the case for the smaller tracks, I still would really like to see a body rule change lowering the rear wing/side dams and extending the tail of the body. This will reduce corner speed, transition speed as well as over all grip making the cars smoother/easier to drive due to the pressure center moving rearward - Basically will eliminate/reduce that "on the nose" feel. I also thought about guys doing like they currently do with TC mounting the bodies way far forward and have an idea on how to make a simple tech tool to keep this in check. I'll either make or draw something up to share with everyone.

2s concerns me because of the fact it will be quite a bit faster than we are currently trying to slow the cars down to. The main reason is it still being open speed control (I think that's what it is). Blinky with 6.5 actually saw an increase in mah being used upwards of 7500mah (most I used at IIC was 7200mah). 2s in this same case size will be a decrease to say 3500-4000mah but with boost/turbo, it will be more like running 5000mah. If anyone remembers we started 1s 1/12 with about 4800mah with effectively blinky speedos. We ran with 4.5 and even 4.0 turn motors straight away. If we are going to run open speedo, I look for speeds to actually increase in Modified over the previous 1s/open motor/open speedo with the move to 2s but, we won't thermal speedos like we were before so that's the only plus I see....

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the HC next weekend and maybe we can convince Nate/Wayne to run a "Hybrid" heat of 1/12 Mod were we could run under real race conditions to try different modified combinations. It would be fun to see someone run 2s, another guy run blinky/open motor but with mah reduction (charging limit or shorty pack). Not really being the point to win but with so many good 1/12 racers together it may be an ideal time to kick ideas around, test, let people drive each other's cars and learn something positive.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the HC next weekend and maybe we can convince Nate/Wayne to run a "Hybrid" heat of 1/12 Mod were we could run under real race conditions to try different modified combinations. It would be fun to see someone run 2s, another guy run blinky/open motor but with mah reduction (charging limit or shorty pack). Not really being the point to win but with so many good 1/12 racers together it may be an ideal time to kick ideas around, test, let people drive each other's cars and learn something positive.
That is a Brilliant idea.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm all for letting you guys test, however, once we get going with quals I don't think we're going to have the time during the rest of the weekend.

If you can get all the mod guys on board to do it during a later round of controlled practice on Friday after grip had built up I don't see why not.

We'll see how fast we get through Saturday rounds and how tired everyone is, if I'm not wasted I would stay after to give you guys an extra 10min before shutting the lights off for testing non-conventional power set ups. Of course, we'd have to have a gentleman's agreement that it's not for simply testing chassis changes for Sunday so every other class doesn't feel slighted.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As its own, stand alone heat to give the opportunity to ANYONE to jump in and try a concept is what I was thinking about. If time will be that limited (extra 10min a round) then it doesn't need to be done at the HC. Maybe it's something the Indoor Champs can do. That would also give me time to finish my 4-cell Mod, Flatwire 8x1 Trinity car... It is all about trying to develop rules to grow 1/12...
Old 10-15-2016, 03:17 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

6.5 at iic was still it's largest turn out in years... Or maybe ever...
Old 10-15-2016, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am all for increased turnout, but in watching the IIC mod main this year the racing lacked fear, and actually looked slower on the straights than boosted 13.5 5+ years ago.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

So I got my 6.5 car on the track before the HC. Power for the first 45s seemed crazy.. but I got used to it. Didn't wad it up.. so now it is time to freshen up the car..
Old 10-15-2016, 07:06 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Some observations from a privately financed competitor.(not particularly great but independent)

1) dumping a lipo is a death sentence for the battery.

2) 2s and improving aerodynamics means gearing motors to almost dump the battery in every race.

3) introducing limits on the body (like was done in 1/8 gas a few years ago) would reduce the benefit of more motor and produce less stress on the battery capacity.

20years ago if a competitor dumped, they lost the race, not the battery. Just saying, if the intention is to appeal to wider audience, then economics of retail sourced supplies should be considered.

If the intention is only to increase profits for LRP, then this discussion is moot.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by avs
Some observations from a privately financed competitor.(not particularly great but independent)

1) dumping a lipo is a death sentence for the battery.

2) 2s and improving aerodynamics means gearing motors to almost dump the battery in every race.

3) introducing limits on the body (like was done in 1/8 gas a few years ago) would reduce the benefit of more motor and produce less stress on the battery capacity.

20years ago if a competitor dumped, they lost the race, not the battery. Just saying, if the intention is to appeal to wider audience, then economics of retail sourced supplies should be considered.

If the intention is only to increase profits for LRP, then this discussion is moot.
1) Not if you have proper LiPo cutoff, Perhaps ROAR should mandate a non user setting for this.

2) Think the only aero change I've seen recommended is reducing traction

3) See #2

4) can't have your cake and eat it too, everyone screamin it's too fast (note: based on the theroy they did not run it casue it's too fast means 13.5 should have been the biggest class prior ) There will be some learning curve but a smart approach to testing should minimize any damage to equipment.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:50 AM
Tech Rookie

So, what´s the consensus after the Halloween Classic?
Old 10-25-2016, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by -----
So, what´s the consensus after the Halloween Classic?
I didn't get a chance to run it but on the small track compared to IIC I didn't hear anyone commenting that they didn't think 6.5 was fast enough. I'm sure a couple of the guys who actually ran it can chime in but it looked good to me!
Old 10-25-2016, 10:58 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

As my first indoor "mod" 1/12 race... I'd say this worked, and worked better than it did on a big track (iic).

Fast guys were still fast. For the most part the mains were clean. If people got racy... pile ups could happen, but it didn't look as scary to me as the a-main of open mod at 2015 HC. My car wasn't perfect, and when crashes happened metal parts were replaced.

If 6.5 mod (or something similar) remains, I could see 13.5 going away.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

17.5 could go away replaced by 13.5. 6.5 is a fun speed. Notdifficult to handle really ran the 13.5 car on stripes with 6.5 motor and it wasnt nearly as different as i expected. Id say do 6.5-10.5 as super stock and 13.5 can be slow stock.
Then leave open class alone.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:34 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

could someone please try running mod 1/12th with the PF sports car body?
http://racepf.com/on-road-1-10-1-12/...ht-clear-body/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.