Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
XRAY X12 2017 1/12 Pan Car >

XRAY X12 2017 1/12 Pan Car

Like Tree9Likes

XRAY X12 2017 1/12 Pan Car

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-17-2017, 02:50 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: XRAY X12 2017 1/12 Pan Car
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: R Dodge
Welcome to the XRAY X12'17 Thread & Wikipost! Here you will find some useful info, tips and tricks as well as setups that are used by several team drivers. Many of us run the X12'17 on high bite carpet and with most US tracks going to the new black CRC carpet, most setups from here out will be developed for those high bite conditions.

Tips & Tricks:
Some racers notice slop developed in the front end over time. One method to reduce/remove this, as pointed out by some of our friends in Europe is to score the inside of the plastic front pivot ball (where the kingpin goes through) with a sharp xacto blade. Usually 4 scores at 12, 3, 6 and 9 will do. Alternative options can be found listed below.

As with any 1/12 pan car, a smooth operating suspension is critical to performance. It is recommended to polish your kingpins & hinge pins using a dremel or a drill and some sort of polish (IE Gravity polish or Mothers Aluminum polish will work). If you find that your suspension has a bind, you may look at using a reamer or drillbit to make sure the holes are clear of any flashing or debris. The only place this may happen is at the upper hingepin, which is 2mm dia.

For stock racing we usually find ourselves looking for a little more steering. One trick that some of the stock drivers have done that seems to help is lowering the graphite plate that the servo & shock mount to. To do this, you will need the 17mm standoffs from VBC and the servo mounts from the 2015 or earlier X12. Be careful that the servo mounts do not sit crooked on the plate when attaching it; a 0.2-0.5mm shim will help ensure it sits perfect on the graphite plate. Part numbers can be found below.

Option Parts to consider:
XRA371220 X12 Foam Bumper
XRA372012 Composite Front Upper Arm Mount Right Graphite

XRA372022 Composite Front Upper Arm Mount Left Graphite

XRA372113 Composite Suspension Arm Front Lower Right Graphite

XRA372123 Composite Suspension Arm Front Lower Left Graphite
XRA372177
Spring 4.75 Coils 3.6x6x0.45mm, C=2.0 - Silver (Soft) (2)
XRA372178
Spring 4.05 Coils 3.6x6x0.45mm, C=2.5 - Black (Soft) (2)
XRA373584 Side Spring C=0.6 - Silver (2)
XRA373586 Side Spring C=1.2 - Black (2)
XRA375010 Graphite Rear Axle Shaft - highly recommended
XRA378094 Shock Spring C=2.1 Black

Lowered Graphite Plate:
B-02-VBC5005
XRA376255-O Alu Servo Mount - Orange (2)

Front end options:
ASC4403 Kingpins, 1:12 Scale
ASC4622 Upper Arm Eyelets

ASC4626 Upper Arm Mounts/Steering Blocks
ASC4627 Front Axles
ASC8417 Pivot Balls

Aluminum Chassis:
Max.FX Aluminum Chassis
McFactory Motorsports
Reflex/RSD

Recent Setups:
Alexander Hagberg - Snowbird Nationals - Mod - High Bite
Craig Xavier - Snowbird Nationals - 17.5 - High Bite
Robbie Dodge - Snowbird Nationals - 17.5 - High Bite
Eric Anderson - ROAR Carpet Nationals - 13.5 High Bite

Print Wikipost

Old 02-15-2017, 08:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
Rear on the '17 is adjusted with shims under the axle bearing holders. The mid is adjusted with the shock, usually a combination of length and preload as dictated by handling preferences.
Thanks for the info
Old 02-15-2017, 09:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 87 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
Rear on the '17 is adjusted with shims under the axle bearing holders. The mid is adjusted with the shock, usually a combination of length and preload as dictated by handling preferences.
I'd like to hear how some of you make this adjustment. I seem to have a small issue with the shims moving when I'm trying to insert the screw back into bulkheads.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE View Post
I'd like to hear how some of you make this adjustment. I seem to have a small issue with the shims moving when I'm trying to insert the screw back into bulkheads.
I used a small dab of grease to hold the spacer in place. It was kind of a pain before I started using this method.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:28 AM
Tech Master

Usually I just put the screw in just enough to pass thru the bearing holder and slide the shim between the holder and bulkhead and drop the screw in place. If I do have an issue, I use a small allen wrench thru the hole to get the shim in place then pull it, and thread the screw in
Old 02-20-2017, 01:50 PM
Regional Moderator

Anyone using a Slapmaster thrust bearing with the Xray? I just like how it works...
Old 02-20-2017, 01:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kansasracer View Post
Anyone using a Slapmaster thrust bearing with the Xray? I just like how it works...
I find the XRay thrust bearing to be quite good. Brian (Slapmaster) makes a good product as well, but I don't feel they are needed (or if he even makes a compatible one) with our car.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Just picked up one of these, excited to run it, never ran 12th scale before.

any pointers/suggestions?
Old 02-21-2017, 06:16 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JEFFs SC10 View Post
Just picked up one of these, excited to run it, never ran 12th scale before.

any pointers/suggestions?
Which type of carpet are you running on (the new black carpet or the grey carpet)? And big is your track? EX. 80' x40'?
Old 02-21-2017, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

the new black crc carpet

35 x 75 approx
Old 02-22-2017, 03:14 AM
Tech Elite

the new black crc carpet

35 x 75 approx
Xavier and I run the Xray black side springs, and center spring. We are also finding that the Xray 2.0 and 2.5 front spring are best for black carpet. X ran 2.0 at Snowbirds and I ran 2.5. Though I would've ran 2.0 if I had a set of them. We both use SpeedMerchant green spooge on the kingpins. I use SM Green on the rear tubes, but X prefers something around 7-10K diff fluid. We pretty much all run the battery transverse (across the chassis) for more steering. This also allows you to lower the servo plate by about 4mm. If you lower the servo plate, you will also need to change the servo mount posts to the X12'14 or '15 post and you must be careful that the post does not mount crooked into the slot that the screw goes through. A lot of guys will run a 0.1 or 0.2mm shim between the plate and the mount there to help prevent that. This allows you to lower the front of the shock and make the car rotate better. Lastly, while the Xray front end pieces are fine to start with, we are using the AE steering block, axle, kingpin, pivot ball and upper eyelet. Some guys prefer Xenon parts over the AE option, but that is what X and I run.

The above options should work well regardless of what tire you are running, though they are based on the lilac spec "purple stripe." We are finding that the purple stripe tires are really locking our cars in so we have had to find ways to make the car rotate. We both posted our snowbirds setups on the Xray site if you would like to have a baseline for those tires. I would recommend starting with Xavier's setup.
kansasracer and MUDVAYNE like this.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (99%+)
Default Servo plate posts

Hi Robbie

When you mention "lowering" the servo plate, are you cutting down the original servo plate posts (found on page 19 of the 2017 instruction manual) or are you using another manufactures posts?

What is the advantages of running the AE front end parts?

Thanks Greg G
Note: Luke Pittman is my hero
Old 02-22-2017, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by R Dodge View Post
Xavier and I run the Xray black side springs, and center spring. We are also finding that the Xray 2.0 and 2.5 front spring are best for black carpet. X ran 2.0 at Snowbirds and I ran 2.5. Though I would've ran 2.0 if I had a set of them. We both use SpeedMerchant green spooge on the kingpins. I use SM Green on the rear tubes, but X prefers something around 7-10K diff fluid. We pretty much all run the battery transverse (across the chassis) for more steering. This also allows you to lower the servo plate by about 4mm. If you lower the servo plate, you will also need to change the servo mount posts to the X12'14 or '15 post and you must be careful that the post does not mount crooked into the slot that the screw goes through. A lot of guys will run a 0.1 or 0.2mm shim between the plate and the mount there to help prevent that. This allows you to lower the front of the shock and make the car rotate better. Lastly, while the Xray front end pieces are fine to start with, we are using the AE steering block, axle, kingpin, pivot ball and upper eyelet. Some guys prefer Xenon parts over the AE option, but that is what X and I run.

The above options should work well regardless of what tire you are running, though they are based on the lilac spec "purple stripe." We are finding that the purple stripe tires are really locking our cars in so we have had to find ways to make the car rotate. We both posted our snowbirds setups on the Xray site if you would like to have a baseline for those tires. I would recommend starting with Xavier's setup.
Thanks Bobbie, met you at the Birds btw, my friend Allen was showing that crazy video on his phone LOL.

Anyway is the reason you change the front end to eliminate the slop that everyone is talking about?

I'm gonna build it and run as is for now just to get used to it.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Swampracer View Post
Hi Robbie

When you mention "lowering" the servo plate, are you cutting down the original servo plate posts (found on page 19 of the 2017 instruction manual) or are you using another manufactures posts?

What is the advantages of running the AE front end parts?

Thanks Greg G
Note: Luke Pittman is my hero
Luke is my hero too

Yea, there is a VBC post that several of us use that is 17mm tall and seems to be perfect. Or if you have the short post used on the tweak plate and mount a countersunk shim as a spacer, that will get you right around 17mm as well.

Here is the VBC part: http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=...t=B-02-VBC5005

I just run AE parts on the front end really because that is what I've had now for 3 years. I'm familiar with it so I've been hesitant to change from it. I know the Xray factory is working on a lot of new things though. They are taking a lot of our feedback very seriously and I am excited to see some new stuff from them in the future

Thanks Bobbie, met you at the Birds btw, my friend Allen was showing that crazy video on his phone LOL.

Anyway is the reason you change the front end to eliminate the slop that everyone is talking about?

I'm gonna build it and run as is for now just to get used to it.
The stock parts don't really have a ton of slop, they are actually pretty good now. I don't know how they wear as I haven't really run them. Some of the feedback we have provided to Xray should help in this department though so I'm looking forward to what is in store. For now I am just familiar with the AE parts, and I don't get to run 1/12 as much as I would like to so I have just stuck with what I know.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:15 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by R Dodge View Post
Xavier and I run the Xray black side springs, and center spring. We are also finding that the Xray 2.0 and 2.5 front spring are best for black carpet. X ran 2.0 at Snowbirds and I ran 2.5. Though I would've ran 2.0 if I had a set of them.
Robbie, are the 2.0 & 2.5 springs comparable to the Associated .18's & .20's? And do you the the X-Ray springs hold up better or last longer? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

Robbie, are the 2.0 & 2.5 springs comparable to the Associated .18's & .20's? And do you the the X-Ray springs hold up better or last longer? Thanks in advance.
The 2.0 is a .45mm wire and is similar to the CRC 0.45 which I believe is similar to the AE .018. The 2.5 is also a 0.45mm wire but is taller and a little firmer. I know the 2.5 can collapse, I had one do it to me at Birds. I haven't run the 2.0 yet to know but I don't recall Xavier having any issue with his. All of our springs at Birds were brand new.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.