R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-10-2006, 08:02 PM   #61
Team Tekin

All right I am here as an engineer not a marketer and we will admit that we have had BEC issues with some digital servos in extreme traction conditions. Our BEC is typical of the Tekin philosophy and lets all the power fly that the servo ask for... to our demise at times. Many of the new digital servos are not the most effecient little beast and can overheat our circuit in extreme conditions or if the steering epa's are not set before the physical stops.

The digital servo manuals all say 'Do not use a BEC circuit, provide a seperate battery pack to power the servo'..... knowing no one will

Unless you run on fly paper and can hold pro mod speeds around the track you will be fine. If needed there is a direct battery feed for powering the servos directly provided as well. This actually provides max servo performance, but may shorten the life since most servos are only designed for 6v

Tekin Prez
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:14 PM   #62
Team Tekin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ's RDX
Hi, I would like to know a good setting for the LIM on the G11 PRO. I run an 8x1 DC Ti3 motor. I used them last week, the ESC is very smooth and I like it alot although I was dumping in 4 min and I realized my limiter was set to MAX. may I know the correct setting of the LIM for Mod racing? My batts are bnew Promatch IB3800s and my motors are freshly cut every run, so batts and motors are not the problem. Thank you very much and Happy New year!

Sonny
Power only leaves the battery as speed, runtime or heat... you must be overgeared, have a motor short, a bad bearing or a bad cell. Does not take much overgearing or drag to kill run time on a low turn mod. We really can't kill run time.. we just pass the power... we don't eat it without getting really hot really quick. The power is either not there or it is going somewhere it shouldn't.

Ohm out your brushoods to the can. They should be open!

Tekin Prez
Old 01-10-2006, 08:28 PM   #63
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to XMSRacing Send a message via Yahoo to XMSRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTekin
All right I am here as an engineer not a marketer and we will admit that we have had BEC issues with some digital servos in extreme traction conditions. Our BEC is typical of the Tekin philosophy and lets all the power fly that the servo ask for... to our demise at times. Many of the new digital servos are not the most effecient little beast and can overheat our circuit in extreme conditions or if the steering epa's are not set before the physical stops.

The digital servo manuals all say 'Do not use a BEC circuit, provide a seperate battery pack to power the servo'..... knowing no one will

Unless you run on fly paper and can hold pro mod speeds around the track you will be fine. If needed there is a direct battery feed for powering the servos directly provided as well. This actually provides max servo performance, but may shorten the life since most servos are only designed for 6v

Tekin Prez

So as long as one takes the time to dial out some steering at the transmitter, as you should... there are going to be no issues?
XMSRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:28 PM   #64
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Ok so I just bought a used losi xxx-t mf1 so I can have some fun (out in front of the house, ect.) and since all my current "good" stuff is in my TC, I am thinking of using an old Tekin speedo I've had laying around forever-- its a TSC 412P speed star that worked last time I used it in the past. Anyone know if this thing will handle the power put out by the current cells? Anyone still running one by any chance? I figure I may as well use it since it never failed in the past-- any thoughts on this esc are welcome.

Powered by Hotwings, Rolling Rock, and the urge to race toy cars...
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 02:31 AM   #65
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf_ekt
Ok so I just bought a used losi xxx-t mf1 so I can have some fun (out in front of the house, ect.) and since all my current "good" stuff is in my TC, I am thinking of using an old Tekin speedo I've had laying around forever-- its a TSC 412P speed star that worked last time I used it in the past. Anyone know if this thing will handle the power put out by the current cells? Anyone still running one by any chance? I figure I may as well use it since it never failed in the past-- any thoughts on this esc are welcome.
Cells wont be a problem, just make sure you don't use anything much more than a 19t as that is a venerable old ESC.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 05:17 AM   #66
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Can you you put a vid up on the tekin site of the 1/10th brushless on a larger track so we can see how quick it is. A small carpet track isnt doing it justice.
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 05:54 AM   #67
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontfeelcold
Can you you put a vid up on the tekin site of the 1/10th brushless on a larger track so we can see how quick it is. A small carpet track isnt doing it justice.
You might have to wait a little while for that, they are snow bound where Tekin is based at the mo, so outdoor tracks maybe a little covered... heehee...
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 12:43 PM   #68
Team Tekin

Dialing out steering is not the key.. making sure it stops before the physical stops is important otherwise you draw locked rotor current every full turn.

The 412P has a decent fet package at 300amps. Will likely handle to 12 turn in loose conditions maybe less with high traction. Just watch the heat the first few minutes. Heat is King...period

We have some better 1/10 brushless video, but on the same track. The track is a faster layout now and we will be testing some more soon. Yes we are under a few feet of snow. Fortunately our new building is under construction and the entire top floor is a test track.. We plan to pimp out a Kyosho snow cat..

Tekin Prez
Old 01-11-2006, 11:08 PM   #69
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_cookie_monst
Cells wont be a problem, just make sure you don't use anything much more than a 19t as that is a venerable old ESC.
I threw the old tekin in, and lucky for me I found the old manual so I could get it working... to be honest I could'nt beleive it, I bought the thing in 1996 and almost 10 years later I slap it in and wham!, the truck goes flying down the street I remember running a 11x2 reedy sonic way back so I think it should handle some fast motors. The only thing I want to adjust is the amount of trigger required to make the truck go forward; there is a small amount of play before it gets moving, and I'm not sure what to adjust I currently use a Futaba 3PM radio. I guess the play could help to make the truck controllably in slick conditions but still I'd like to know how to dial it in/out. Big ups to Tekin!!!