Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Best ESC for 1/12 >

Best ESC for 1/12

Best ESC for 1/12

Old 12-30-2005, 08:42 AM
Tech Adept

Default Best ESC for 1/12

I am building up a 12L4 and need an esc. So what is the best overall esc for racing. I want to be able to run stock, mod, 19t. No brushless, since the size is a little bigger. So far I am considering a KO VFS1 Pro, GTX, or a Hara Twister ( which I think is just a glorified VFS1). I am planning on going with a KO radio and 949 for steering so I was thinking of keeping it in the family and getting the KO esc. On the other hand I have always had Novak esc's. Help please.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

IMHO, go for anything two or three years old. Before the current 3300 and then 3700 batteries, speedos were designed to be very efficient so they helped us make the run time. Modern speedos seem biased to punch and power, because we have all the capacity we need - except in 12th.

An old Tekin, Novak or LRP will be able to make the most of your precious cell capacity, and since we rarely use full power in Mod, it won't make any difference to speed. For 19T or Stock, you'll probably find a newer speedo just fine. I like LRP for feel, size and weight, but that's just me... HTH
Old 12-30-2005, 01:00 PM
B-B
Tech Initiate

I personally like the LRP Q2, but some have had problems if used with the Sprektrum system. A cap. will cure it but in 12th you dont want any extra weight. Mine works just fine in my 12th, but have to run the cap in my sedan. Hope this helps.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i like my GTX works realy well its nice and small
Old 12-30-2005, 01:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I would 2nd about GTX...good brand and good tech support. Then QC2...small and just as good as GTX.

KO/Hara....which is also GOOD. You can see plenty of the Team driver using it, but in order to MAX it out, you have to buy the extra handheld equipment and laptop computer to fine tune it........for me, that is just a little TOO MUCH for something that small.....but of course, if you have friends that had those already, it will save you a tons.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:49 PM
Tech Adept

I like LRP for feel, size and weight, but that's just me... HTH
It's funny because I was watching the Comedy Central roast of Pam Anderson as I read feel, size and weight...Ahhhh....feel the Pam...I mean speedo.

So which speedo can I run without a cap. Those things are such a pain. Also, which works better near the end of battery capacity?
Old 12-30-2005, 09:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

keyence
Old 12-30-2005, 10:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

If you already have some KO stuff then maybe you also have a handheld programmer or a pc interface setting adapter. If you do, then definitely go with the VFS-1 PRO!!!! If you dont have that extra stuff, find someones to borrow and go with the VFS-1 PRO!!!!!

The vfs-2000 is great for 12th scale also!!!
(then you would have $$$ left over for the programmer to get the most out of every battery, motor, & track layout)

Have fun!
Old 12-31-2005, 12:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Wink

an on & off switch !
honestly...it's a matter of choice...
try to get something small as possible that can handle the motors you'll be running.
Mod motors draw more amps than stock.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theisgroup
keyence

Do you know who sells keyence speedos here in the US besides Schumacher? I had a A01B "infinity" that I wish I still had that would be perfect for the 12th scaler.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcdougie
Do you know who sells keyence speedos here in the US besides Schumacher? I had a A01B "infinity" that I wish I still had that would be perfect for the 12th scaler.
Speedtechrc...