Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Great news for all long-time HPI Racing fans >

Great news for all long-time HPI Racing fans

Great news for all long-time HPI Racing fans

Old 07-28-2016, 04:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by SWTour View Post
Amazon is showing (7) sets of FRONT VTA tires from Dollar Hobbyz (never used them, no idea how they are to deal with)

Noticed your "returning to the Velodrome in 2016" comment at the bottom of your post. Which Velodrome? My son and I really loved racing at Velodromes (most Major Taylor in Indy) back in the brushed motor/NIMH days. Pretty realistic: 1/10 scale cars running on a near 1/10 scale Daytona; everything was scale except for the lap times: 12 to 14 second lap times made for some exciting modified racing. With LIPOs and brushless motors 21 laps in 4 minutes probably isn't the gold standard it once was.

Also I picked up 2 sets of VTA tires at a Hobbytown in Brownsville TX. Probably they were still there because they don't race VTA in that part of Texas. Maybe a Hobbytown search of their store inventories across the country might find other inventories of VTA tires just sitting on shelves waiting to be bought.

Last edited by John Wallace2; 07-28-2016 at 05:14 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This is very minor in the grand scheme of things, but one thing I'd really like to see from HPI is a listing on their website of what bodies and wheels/tires you can actually buy from them, not everything they've ever made.

A separate section for "legacy" products would be fine, but it's not fair to see all of the awesome bodies they've made over the years, when in reality you can only order less than half of them from the local shop.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default VEVLODROME

Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
Noticed your "returning to the Velodrome in 2016" comment at the bottom of your post. Which Velodrome? My son and I really loved racing at Velodromes (most Major Taylor in Indy) back in the brushed motor/NIMH days. Pretty realistic: 1/10 scale cars running on a near 1/10 scale Daytona; everything was scale except for the lap times: 12 to 14 second lap times made for some exciting modified racing. With LIPOs and brushless motors 21 laps in 4 minutes probably isn't the gold standard it once was.

Also I picked up 2 sets of VTA tires at a Hobbytown in Brownsville TX. Probably they were still there because they don't race VTA in that part of Texas. Maybe a Hobbytown search of their store inventories across the country might find other inventories of VTA tires just sitting on shelves waiting to be bought.
Hey John,

We're in CALIF, and at the Encino Velodrome. We held our 1st VELO RACE in 6 years in late June, and will hold our 2nd on Labor Day Weekend.

We lost access to the track back in 2010 as a group of neighbors got a lot of activity in the park where the velo is stopped...but we're good to go again, and hope to have at least 5 events there in 2017.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by SWTour View Post
Hey John,

We're in CALIF, and at the Encino Velodrome. We held our 1st VELO RACE in 6 years in late June, and will hold our 2nd on Labor Day Weekend.

We lost access to the track back in 2010 as a group of neighbors got a lot of activity in the park where the velo is stopped...but we're good to go again, and hope to have at least 5 events there in 2017.
Great, I flew out to a college in CA for a velo race many years ago. I just don't remember the name right now. Glad to hear you have Velodrome racing up and racing again. With todays motors and batteries, I cannot imagine how fast the cars must be going.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

That would have been Cal State Dominguez Hills in Carson (the 2nd Home of the RCThunderdrome) --- and numerous NORRCA Velo races. We started running there in 1992 (that location is a SOCCER Field Now -- I believe 2000 was the last year we raced there.

I sorta remember your name from back then, and have seen you online since...
Old 07-29-2016, 09:27 AM
Tech Master

The HPI drama doesn't seem to be over....
http://www.neobuggy.net/2016/07/29/s...nts-from-both/
Old 07-29-2016, 09:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

That sounds even worse.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 364 (100%+)

Sounds like hpi killed hpi , either way most have moved on. Hpi is one more giant Rc company with its best days behind them. Not an hpi hater just tired of all the chatter. And by the way I have owned every HPI TC ever sold. Brand loyalty was big for me then ......