Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
AMB Personal Transponders...Too Expensive? >

AMB Personal Transponders...Too Expensive?

AMB Personal Transponders...Too Expensive?

Old 12-28-2005, 09:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 264 (100%+)
Default AMB Personal Transponders...Too Expensive?

Look I am not trying to be a complainer but does any one else think that we are getting ripped off by AMB? When the personal first came out it was $45 which I think was a fair price. Now we pay anywhere from $70 to $100 for a new personal transpoder. I think this is getting out of hand!
Old 12-28-2005, 09:18 AM
Tech Adept

Default AMB

Ive a bloody good idea about this from a thread that I read about 6 months ago but not sure I could post it on here. anyone with electronics capability please contact me.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC Old Man
Look I am not trying to be a complainer but does any one else think that we are getting ripped off by AMB? When the personal first came out it was $45 which I think was a fair price. Now we pay anywhere from $70 to $100 for a new personal transpoder. I think this is getting out of hand!
The reason they are so much more expensive today is do to the value of the dollar vs. the Euro, and other currencies. U.S. products are cheaper elsewhere in the world but now imported products cost more today.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

Personals arent a neccesity but they probably save weight and you dont have to put them back....
Old 12-28-2005, 09:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

There are a lot of tracks where they don't have any handout transponders and you have to have a personal.

...And yes, they are too expensive period. Some other "American" company needs to come up with an alternative.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:24 AM
Tech Champion

It has nothing to do with the currancy conversion it's just a way to make more money.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:26 AM
Tech Champion

AMB has always gouged us...no question. The sum of these parts does not equal the cost. They just know they are the only game in town...so we all pay.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:34 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default amb's

Are stock motors too expensive? Batteries? We live in a market economy....supply and demand ring a bell from 7th grade economics? They can only charge what people will pay. Stop buying, the market will glut and prices will come down....or we need a competitive alternative. Until then, just hope AMB doesn't raise prices again.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:36 AM
Tech Champion

I think that is an easy way to explain it, but that's not really the way it is. You pay more for premium batteries and ultra tuned motors...but you can get less expensive stuff and it will work just fine. With the PTs you have no cheaper alternative. The only way force them to be more realistic in pricing is if another company comes up with a cheaper alternative. My guess is those PTs would cost 10-20 bux tops to produce. I see no reason why someone couldn't come up with something that would work for $50 or so.

I think saying "if you dumb a$$e$ stop buying them they will be forced to lower prices." is wrong. A lot of people either use them or don't race, simple as that. Most of us who have a budget to stay in like to make our money stretch a litlle and when companies are just straight out taking advantage of us, that is wrong.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:41 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by CIVIC91
I think that is an easy way to explain it, but that's not really the way it is. You pay more for premium batteries and ultra tuned motors...but you can get less expensive stuff and it will work just fine. With the PTs you have no cheaper alternative.
Exactly!!! There is no alternative! I would put a good bet that it cant cost AMB more than $5.00 to produce the transponder it self. If they would cut there cost to the shops then the shops would cut there cost to us and still make more money in the long run. Plus AMB would sell more of them.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I guess its all a matter of what your used to. I didn't even blink twice when I was told the cost of the transponder. But then again I just came from racing Karts. The AMB transponder for Karting is $220 new. I picked mine up for $150 and it was a DEAL. I can easily sell just the transponder in my package for $160-175 and people will scarf it up.

By the way.. if your looking for a kart... PM me!
Old 12-28-2005, 09:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

No disagreement on the fact that the transponders are expensive, but this is not an inexpensive hobby. What other component for your r/c car do you only buy once? Some tracks will rent you a transponder, but if you race a lot then renting ones soon becomes more expensive than purchasing. When you look at how much you spend over a years time for purchasing equipment, race entry fees, parts, etc. a transponder is, for me anyway, worth the expence.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:49 AM
Tech Champion

Look, obviously some people don't blink twice when a battery costs $100 a pack, and they buy 20 motors with no problem. But for those of us who have a more responsible spending habit are getting blindsided by a greedy company, that sucks. It takes money away from other things we would like to get to race. I know there are some people that spend 10Gs a year without a problem, but most of us aren't in that boat.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Listen up AMB, the Mini-z's are running a different type of transponder that is 1) lighter. It's about as thick as a credit card. 2) Keeps all your info on it. No more trying to remember your #. 3) And best yet CHEAPER! about $20.

Now before we get too excited, they are still trying to get it to work for the larger scales. Last I read, Kyosho is distributing it, and any new updates I hear I'll let everyone know.

Keep your fingers crossed!
Old 12-28-2005, 09:53 AM
Tech Champion

Some people get lucky with purchasing them once and then they are set...Unfortunately my PT suck, it misses laps and I'm sure to have it serviced (even though it's pretty much new) isn't worth it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.