Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
AMB Personal Transponders...Too Expensive? >

AMB Personal Transponders...Too Expensive?

AMB Personal Transponders...Too Expensive?

Old 12-29-2005, 10:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

$89.99 sounds pretty chhep to me. After buy a 05 Xray and one year later being discontinued. $319. Now I have to get the the new T2 to have the latest and greatest item. What about all the rc items we rushed out that we had to buy. At the time was the hottest item to have then in a short time later its not hot anymore or did perform like the company said it will do. Maybe you should lllok at the cost of the AMB as an investment. What other rc item can you buy and resell it six months later for almost the price you bought it at?
Old 12-29-2005, 10:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gijoe64
I think the Transponders are too expensive remember when you could buy one for 60.00 dollars now it is over 100.00. I have 4 different cars and all the tracks I race at use the personal system and if you don't have one they charge you 5.00 dollars to use theirs, on top of race fees. RIPOFF! I don't care what anyone says don't bite the hand that feeds! Hurry Up Kyosho we need a new system Thanks I needed to get that out, now I have to buy another transponder
Nothing against you.....you have to understand 1 thing, a handout rechargable transponder from AMB is $150 plus USD each.
Happened all the time, the racer from the last race of the day, after race, packed everything and went home.........and that person probably will come back to race.......let say, couple years later...........GUESS whos going to pay for that $150 lose...?

If you are a race organizer.......you will understand that $5 is a little insurance for the OWNER that hope the RACER will remember to return the transponder after the race.............I can tell you this, PPL DOES TOOK the transponder home and never show up again....

$5 vs $150.....simple math and a clear advantage on the RACER, not the owner of the transponder.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Soviet

Thats a brand-new mid-range graphics card for $95.00. So someone here is gonna tell me that AMB is justified charging the same amount for a product using 1/16th the electronic components and materials??? All the AMB does is transmit a signal on a specific frequency with a hard-coded number off of a flash-rom chip. VERY cheap stuff.
Soviet,

Glad to hear it's so easy! When's your new system going to hit the market?

Old 12-29-2005, 10:03 AM

The smart thing to do would be to design a tranponder that will work with the current AMB system.

kinda like an aftermarket thing.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:05 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tunnelhead
$89.99 sounds pretty chhep to me. After buy a 05 Xray and one year later being discontinued. $319. Now I have to get the the new T2 to have the latest and greatest item. What about all the rc items we rushed out that we had to buy. At the time was the hottest item to have then in a short time later its not hot anymore or did perform like the company said it will do. Maybe you should lllok at the cost of the AMB as an investment. What other rc item can you buy and resell it six months later for almost the price you bought it at?
Can't agree more.................lets talk about XRAY (actually same as others company) Each year there is a new car, 9 months after release of FK05, there is this T2....not upgradalbe, not convertable.........new car, period, thank you $399.99.

Now look at AMB PT..........4 years of using, still the same old one, no upgrade needed, no conversion, no 3mm carbon fiber support for the PT, no brushless motor system to run the PT, no 1.20 IB4200 pro-match to power the damn thing.............which one is cheaper now..?
Old 12-29-2005, 10:07 AM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up The Greatest Thing since slice bread

Owning and operating a track is a huge investment and by far the most expensive piece of equipment is the transponder system......It has been many times I've seen a driver go home with a transponder and never returned/lost/damaged..replacing the unit $75.00 - $99.00, Mail/postage $2.00, time without the unit priceless ......I believe PT's provide the user and track operator more enjoyable racing time, increased organization for more cars involved in heats, etc, etc, etc.......

2 cents keep the change

Fastlane R/C Racing Club
Old 12-29-2005, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

will be selling the t2 for 369.99 all day long. along with spare parts. I dont know how many guys bought 2 or more and tons of spares. Not alot of the 05 parts will carry over.Talk about alot of money spent. 89.99sounds pretty nice to me.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by serpent
Owning and operating a track is a huge investment and by far the most expensive piece of equipment is the transponder system......It has been many times I've seen a driver go home with a transponder and never returned/lost/damaged..replacing the unit $75.00 - $99.00, Mail/postage $2.00, time without the unit priceless ......I believe PT's provide the user and track operator more enjoyable racing time, increased organization for more cars involved in heats, etc, etc, etc.......

2 cents keep the change

Fastlane R/C Racing Club
Thats all true. I just wish there were more choices like everything else in RC.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:16 AM

will be selling the t2 for 369.99 all day long. along with spare parts. I dont know how many guys bought 2 or more and tons of spares. Not alot of the 05 parts will carry over.Talk about alot of money spent. 89.99sounds pretty nice to me.
For those who can by two T2's $89.99 is not a big deal, but for those trying to get the very last out of their 04's and 05's it is.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:18 AM
Tech Master

Possible waste of MOney? All the carpet they layed at the the recent IIC race in Vegas. Raced on it what 4-5 days and then tore all they carpet up and threw it away.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:20 AM
Tech Champion

Possible waste of MOney? All the carpet they layed at the the recent IIC race in Vegas. Raced on it what 4-5 days and then tore all they carpet up and threw it away.
Are you sure they really threw those carpet out after the IIC race..? (serious quesition, cause I don't know...)
Old 12-29-2005, 10:45 AM
Tech Master

From what I heard they did. It was very well used after all that racing.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Odd, I heard that the carpet is what they're using at Trackside (Scotty's Track) now. The Cleveland carpet was used elsewhere after that event as well.

The problem is that AMB is VERY protective of their encoding/decoding information and would legally crush anyone who attempts to "clone" or otherwise create a functioning facsimile of their product. That's why I see an add-on system as the most viable solution. Your not violating any patents if you're not using their information or equipment. Like I said, this whole DART transceiver lap counting idea actually sounds EXTREMELY viable, and even more convenient than a PT.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BlackKat
~+CONGRATULATIONS+~

You have sucessfully wasted 15 minutes of your life justifying the spending of $100 on a product that costs about $5 to manufacture
Again....

You guys are trying to put something into a different prespective by defending AMB but at the same sime you are completely blowing it out of prespective
Old 12-29-2005, 11:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Lets just go straight to the source, most high prices are from the oil companies raking in the profits.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.