Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
AMB Personal Transponders...Too Expensive? >

AMB Personal Transponders...Too Expensive?

AMB Personal Transponders...Too Expensive?

Old 12-28-2005, 10:32 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Someone mentioned supply and demand which I think is correct. The other reason they "have to" gouge us is that they only sell one complete system to a track and then nothing else. The PT is nice for them because they commonly sell more than one per customer and it's a big source of income so right now they will "make hay while the sun shines". The Euro and the dollar are a lot closer than they were 2 years ago but the cost of AMB PTs continues to climb. There is just not enough money in it for somebody else to sink capital into developing something different. (again, opinion)
Old 12-28-2005, 10:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

There's a lot more to the cost of a PT than just the cost of components. Manufacturing, distribution, overhead, personnel, advertising, R&D costs, etc... From that point of view almost everything in R/C is "overpriced" How many cents worth of plastic are in that 8 dollar pair of A arms?

IIRC, when the PT's were first sold at that low price it was referred to as an "introductory price" and we were warned that it WILL go higher. I wish I had listened back then, I could have bought 20 and bought a new car

-James
Old 12-28-2005, 10:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Fred (RCOldman) is just a winey little B#tch

Preach on brother Fredrick!!!!!
Old 12-28-2005, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

A hobby store by me was closing and the were selling used ones for $30.00 I was able to grab one. When you find a good deal you have to take it. They sell used for over 70 on ebay. Just keep you eyes and ears open
Old 12-28-2005, 11:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

I just don't like companies that say, "hey, lets see how far we can push the price on this and see if they will still buy it." It shows what they truly feel about their customers. Instead of trying to be reasonable..they go for the throat. Not all companies are like that.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Are they fix able if something goes wrong with them?
Old 12-28-2005, 11:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 264 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesArluck
There's a lot more to the cost of a PT than just the cost of components. Manufacturing, distribution, overhead, personnel, advertising, R&D costs, etc... From that point of view almost everything in R/C is "overpriced" How many cents worth of plastic are in that 8 dollar pair of A arms?

IIRC, when the PT's were first sold at that low price it was referred to as an "introductory price" and we were warned that it WILL go higher. I wish I had listened back then, I could have bought 20 and bought a new car

-James
Advertising? I have never seen an advertisement for them? Overhead? I think AMB is getting close to Bill Gates!! R&D they only miniturized there current system! If they could offer them at $45 back when they came out then they can do it now too! I am not trying to be an ass or go after AMB in any way, all I am saying is that to have some one but a RTR then tell them in order to race you have to buy a PT at $90 is a bunch of bull!
If we are going to see this industry flurish then we need to lower some of the operating cost.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 264 (100%+)

As far as not having to buy one. Have you used a house transponder lately? I have and it SUCKS most of them don't even work any more!!!
Old 12-28-2005, 11:14 AM
Tech Champion

When is the last time you saw any advertising for AMB? R/D??? when??? It's been the same product for years.
Originally Posted by JamesArluck

-James
Old 12-28-2005, 11:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Smoking motor..
civic it not missing laps, the bec is not able to power the transponder, anda 6v servo I assume your using. This is a common problem with lrp quantum 2 's as it cannot supply the current to power both the pt and servo. I had the same problem you are talking about but it is the speedcontroler you are using.
A simple fix is to use some caps in series to stop the pt losing power it has been mentioned on the forum before.
Though I didn't do that as my quantum died and i got a ko and it has never missed laps since then.
I have 2 pts in 2 cars, one with a Q1 and one with a Q2. It has never missed a lap or ever had any problems with it. Both cars have KO servos one digital. Maybe your servo is drawing too much power?
Old 12-28-2005, 11:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

interesting u complain about amb transponders and the price, when your signature says your running KO Prorpo equipment... how come you dont complain about KO's pricing structure ? why r u picking upon AMB ?
Old 12-28-2005, 11:25 AM
Tech Champion

Well, I put a friends PT in...no problems at all.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

----edit
Old 12-28-2005, 11:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

One thing everyone needs to keep in mind is the R/C part of AMB is very small. Almost all full size racing series and tracks use AMB products. So in the scope of things AMB for R/C is very small. When the Personals came out I remember thinking I would never buy them nor would anyone else. After using them for a few years they are great. Even AMB said when they first came out that the price was set low so it would be more attractive to buy them. In the long run they save the tracks a ton of money as I believethe "house" transponders are $150+ and non repairable (not sure about that part though).

As comparaison the transponders for full size racing are $325 for a direct wire and $365 for a battery powered one.

I'm not trying to defend AMB but you need to look at the company as a whole. There's a reason they appear to have a strangle hold on the market and no one else has tried to compete with them.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:27 AM
Tech Champion

??? KO prices are pretty good compared to others... I run a Helios and its under $250 not overpriced?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.