R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-28-2005, 10:55 AM   #16
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIVIC91
But for those of us who have a more responsible spending habit are getting blindsided by a greedy company, that sucks.
Why is it always the companies faults? Supply and demand, basic economic principles, set the costs.

A personal transponder is NOT a necessity. You aren't REQUIRED to buy one.
Unless of course its a track requirement... at which point you shouldn't be blaming AMB... they aren't making you buy their product... the track is.
JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:59 AM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 244 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by killingtime
Listen up AMB, the Mini-z's are running a different type of transponder that is 1) lighter. It's about as thick as a credit card. 2) Keeps all your info on it. No more trying to remember your #. 3) And best yet CHEAPER! about $20.

Now before we get too excited, they are still trying to get it to work for the larger scales. Last I read, Kyosho is distributing it, and any new updates I hear I'll let everyone know.

Keep your fingers crossed!
Now thats what I'm Talking about!
The only thing is will the tracks use it?
Fred Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:02 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to XMSRacing Send a message via Yahoo to XMSRacing

Yes... lets introduce a new transponder to the racing market... thats a great idea at this point. Competition? If you want to think of it that way.

Then how much will you complain when you have to have 2 or 3 different transponders to race at all the different big races that will possibly use a different system.

AMB is used by almost every form of racing. From Nascar to Karting to RC to SnoCross to nearly everything!! Unless RC is going to one day say... AMB is illegal.. must use new stuff, it would be a messy sight to introudce a new transponder.
XMSRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:04 AM   #19
Tech Regular

civic it not missing laps, the bec is not able to power the transponder, anda 6v servo I assume your using. This is a common problem with lrp quantum 2 's as it cannot supply the current to power both the pt and servo. I had the same problem you are talking about but it is the speedcontroler you are using.
A simple fix is to use some caps in series to stop the pt losing power it has been mentioned on the forum before.
Though I didn't do that as my quantum died and i got a ko and it has never missed laps since then.
Smoking motor.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:05 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If everyone is pissed off enough about prices, I'm sure they'll change over. I think the set-up cost is somewhere around $600. Which is less than half of what they paid for their AMB set-up. Plus like I said, the damn "chip" holds ALL of your info... name, transponder number, class, etc...and all this info gets sent to the computer when you pass the line. That means that no one has to enter any info into the system... less human error. I'm trying to find links to it now...I'll keep you posted.

rD Squared-MW Designs-C and R racing

Final Thoughts RC club R.I.P.
killingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:09 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMSRacing
Yes... lets introduce a new transponder to the racing market... thats a great idea at this point. Competition? If you want to think of it that way. .
Yes, your right it lets make sure that AMB keeps their monopoly on the market. Why stop there... we should all drive the same cars too, it would make getting parts so much easier.
If a company makes a product and has no competition, beyond what they will gouge you in price, they will have no incentive to make it better. Why spend R&D money if they don't have to?

Old 12-28-2005, 11:11 AM   #22

Send a message via AIM to Uneke Send a message via Yahoo to Uneke

Quote:
Yes... lets introduce a new transponder to the racing market... thats a great idea at this point. Competition? If you want to think of it that way.

Then how much will you complain when you have to have 2 or 3 different transponders to race at all the different big races that will possibly use a different system.

AMB is used by almost every form of racing. From Nascar to Karting to RC to SnoCross to nearly everything!! Unless RC is going to one day say... AMB is illegal.. must use new stuff, it would be a messy sight to introudce a new transponder.
I think the point is for an alternative company to make a tronsponder that will work with the current AMB system.
Uneke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:12 AM   #23
Tech Apprentice

Default Transponder problems

The answer to your transponder problems is a nice little unit made by Spektrum, a small capacitor that has a servo lead on the end, plugs straight into the reciever and makes sure that you have a constant voltage to the PT, and the bonus it only cost me 3.50.
Mi2_Tastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:14 AM   #24
Tech Master

Sounds great.... does it work? Can you run a whole TC race with it and RC Scoring Pro with no hicups? Will the systems be compatible?

What happens when this chip comes close to a magnetic field? (Servo or motor) What happens if this chip with all your information goes bye bye? What happens when this is the next dominate transponder in RC and its now $75 due to the demand?
Old 12-28-2005, 11:18 AM   #25
Tech Elite

then it would still be $5 less than an AMB right now.

All I'm saying is that "new blood" should be introduced. Is the chip I described the answer to all our prayers, probably not. Will it have problems, maybe. Is it worth giving it a chance, absolutely!

Old 12-28-2005, 11:19 AM   #26
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by killingtime
Yes, your right it lets make sure that AMB keeps their monopoly on the market. Why stop there... we should all drive the same cars too, it would make getting parts so much easier.
If a company makes a product and has no competition, beyond what they will gouge you in price, they will have no incentive to make it better. Why spend R&D money if they don't have to?

So one is further ahead by having to buy 2-4 different transponders at $20-40 a pop. All this so one brand wasn't monopolizing the market.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:21 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:

Not necessarily, An enetrprising company could come up with race management software that allows for "piggybacking" transponder sysems. You could theoretically use two different types of transponder on the same loop, the software just has to be able to identify both transponders and properly log that information within the software. I know this is an over simplification of the details, but it's hardly impossible.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:23 AM   #28
Tech Elite

I'm not talking about buying into something else just because it's different. It would have to be BETTER than the one on the market now. And if it runs on the same AMB system that the tracks have now, then all the better.

Old 12-28-2005, 11:27 AM   #29
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Not necessarily, An enetrprising company could come up with race management software that allows for "piggybacking" transponder sysems. You could theoretically use two different types of transponder on the same loop, the software just has to be able to identify both transponders and properly log that information within the software. I know this is an over simplification of the details, but it's hardly impossible.
That would be the one way for this to be successful. Wonder if thats a good question for the RC Scoring Pro guys???

Seems like a programming nightmare... but I dont much about that stuff.

RC Scoring Pro - your choice of transponders... win win.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:30 AM   #30
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to primusblowsgoat Send a message via Yahoo to primusblowsgoat

Some on this forum has to have the know-how, to tear open one of these things, and create one that works with the current AMB systesm. even if it was bigger, or ugly, or whatever, as long as it works and is cheaper.
primusblowsgoat is offline   Reply With Quote