R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-01-2006, 09:56 AM   #226
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

This thread really is making me laugh keep it up.

You have a real simple choice, you either buy one, or you don't. It's quite funny, this is one of the few products where UK and US prices are even comparable, on virtually everything else we have to pay loads more than you do.

BTW, AMB review/increase their prices every January............although the UK importer says that Transponder price isn't changing.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 10:16 AM   #227
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to GundamWZero Send a message via Yahoo to GundamWZero Send a message via Skype™ to GundamWZero

Well I am glad I have got mine when they were sorta cheap.............

‎"We fight not because we hate what's in front of us...
We fight to protect whats behind us."
GundamWZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 12:28 PM   #228
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It comes down to suppy and demand!!
Mr RCTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 02:02 PM   #229
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations

I thought it was the sucked and the suckers.

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 02:35 AM   #230
Tech Adept

Interesting dicussion here...

I just want to say that even though the pricing structure of a PT is unreasonable, it is still one of the best investement for a racer. Nobody can argue about that.

And I think it is not an easy task to create such a system to compete head to head with AMB. Look around you, is there any company making a similar system? I don't think so...

Why? A lap counting industry (for RC Market) is a niche market in relation to the total RC Racing industry. It is true that AMB got a huge revenue, but it is still very small compare to Chassis Manufacturer. It is not justifiable to make an initial big investment where the rate of return is not certain (niche market).

Let's say I have some money to invest in a project making the PT or similar system which worked with the existing AMB system. It turns out that I could sell my "BMA" PT for, let's say $25. Now, how many percent of racer doesn't already have an AMB PT? Do the rest of racer will buy my "BMA" PT if they already have an AMB PT? Remember, the PT has a relatively long life cycle. What is the guarantee that AMB will not suddenly slashed their price to $24, just to kill the competition? After the competition is dead, AMB could easily re-adjust the price? Remember, this is a niche market, it is easy for AMB to control the market. How do I get 100% certainty that I will get my whole investment back (Not mentiong profit).

So, even if I have the money, would I invest in a project to make a New PT system? My answer is no, I better invest in making a car chassis, speedo, or other things which have a short life cylcle. Much more promising rate of return.

So, do I think AMB PT overprized? YES!!!!
Can we do something about it? I doubt it!
Will I stop buying an AMB PT? No, it's just too convenient to have a PT.

Face it, business is business, even in the RC world which is considered a Hobby...

A.W
Pembalap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 07:17 AM   #231
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Well said Pembalap. I've been thinking about this thread for awhile now. I do believe that they are overpriced and still worth every penny. I don't know of anyone getting out of this hobby because they couldn't pay $80 for a PT. I've had mine for years and it finally went out. I sent it to AMB and they sent me a new one. Cost me $8 in shipping. I'm not saying that will happen to everyone, just my experience. As far as the price of admission to this billionaire boys club. I go through a set of foam tires ($40) every two weeks. It sure makes that PT look like a bargain.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:49 AM   #232
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pembalap
Interesting dicussion here...

Face it, business is business, even in the RC world which is considered a Hobby...

A.W
Good quote, btw when can I see you with your EP car for 2006 season?
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 07:54 AM   #233
Regional Moderator

Btw, the price is around 110-125 here. But the good news is the club transponders are still available for some beginner or budget/non-serious racer
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:12 AM   #234
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

As was said before, the two greatest innovations in R/C racing in the last 30 years (aside from the RC10) are Spektrum DSM technology and AMB personal transponder scoring systems.

Do I like the price of either component? No. Are they worth every penny at DOUBLE the price? YES.

I can't count how many times I forgot to take out a transponder and had to go running back to the pits, or used the wrong frequency crystal in my receiver. I don't see how complaining about the price of technology helps anything in this instance.

In the SCCA, AMB transponders have become mandatory at tracks all over the U.S. in a very short period of time. At $200+ per unit, you buy it once, mount it in the car, and forget about it forever. The unit was expensive to begin with, and like our PTs, have become invaluable in tracking lap times and race results.

When I started racing, timing and scoring was done by a guy sitting at a table with a keyboard, hitting a number key every time a car went by him. It sometime took over an hour to have race results for a heat!

Considering you can get MyLaps results downloaded from the internet to your computer, practice lap times at any venue, and live real-time feedback while you are running (depending on the scoring system), the $90 investment in your racing enjoyment hardly seems to be too much in "big picture" relativity. Personally, I'd pay double for the convenience and accuracy of a PT.

We could always go back to the guy sitting at the table with the keyboard punching keys.

Maybe it's just me, but I've never spent time in a hobby where so many people complained about the cost of the hobby, itself. Racing of ANY kind costs money, no matter how many ways you slice it. You aren't being forced by anyone to go to the race track to compete.

Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this!"
Doctor: "Well, then don't do that."

squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 01:28 AM   #235
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniz24
Good quote, btw when can I see you with your EP car for 2006 season?
Hahaha...I'm still waiting for the T2 chassis. Don't know when will I get it.

A.W
Pembalap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:17 PM   #236
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard
There is a company over here already producing PT's for the AMB20 system... http://www.team-mrt.com/ and scroll to the T1-10 section.
Thanks TryHard.

For clubs that still run the older AMB20 system our T1-10 is very useful by giving people a PT option for the older '10 transponder' system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMSRacing
That's the thing... look at the competion.. do you really want that thing in your car? Not to mention it only has 10 channels. Leaves a lot of room for human error having to constantly worry about which channel your on for the next race.
XMSRacing I guess you're not familiar with the AMB20 system, it's only got 10 numbers or 'channels' as you call them. Because the MRT T1-10 has a more complex design (circuitry to allow for number changes and also an LED display to show the selected number) it has to be that size which is actually about the same footprint as the original AMB transponder even with the extra electronics. There is no need to constantly worry about which number (or channel) it is set on for each race as the only time it needs to be changed is for the first race and then later for the 'mains' or 'finals' as we call them in the UK.

Any eqivalent to the AMBrc PT would be pretty much the same size to make it a 'drop in' replacement, but with several design improvements and also at a lower price.
Terry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 02:06 PM   #237
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to XMSRacing Send a message via Yahoo to XMSRacing

I realize the system can only handle 10 at a time on the computer, while running a race. I just dont see a person getting assigned the same number in each race... heats.. mains... finals.. whatever. You would have to change at some point. With the AMB system there is no worry about having to do this, so I dont see how just being able to change your number is being called "advanced" when its being compared to a system where that is not necessary, nor would it ever be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_S
Thanks TryHard.

For clubs that still run the older AMB20 system our T1-10 is very useful by giving people a PT option for the older '10 transponder' system.

XMSRacing I guess you're not familiar with the AMB20 system, it's only got 10 numbers or 'channels' as you call them. Because the MRT T1-10 has a more complex design (circuitry to allow for number changes and also an LED display to show the selected number) it has to be that size which is actually about the same footprint as the original AMB transponder even with the extra electronics. There is no need to constantly worry about which number (or channel) it is set on for each race as the only time it needs to be changed is for the first race and then later for the 'mains' or 'finals' as we call them in the UK.

Any eqivalent to the AMBrc PT would be pretty much the same size to make it a 'drop in' replacement, but with several design improvements and also at a lower price.
XMSRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 02:21 PM   #238
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I realize the system can only handle 10 at a time on the computer, while running a race. I just dont see a person getting assigned the same number in each race... heats.. mains... finals.. whatever. You would have to change at some point. With the AMB system there is no worry about having to do this, so I dont see how just being able to change your number is being called "advanced" when its being compared to a system where that is not necessary, nor would it ever be.
Compared to how the system was originally envisaged being able to select any one of 10 available numbers I would consider is advanced. Knowing how both the AMB20 and AMBrc systems operate (at a technical level) and their respective strengths, the AMB20 is a more reliable system ie less missed laps and the AMBrc advantage is the fact it can accommodate many 'personal transponders' each with a unique identification number. The AMBrc system can and does miss laps (for which we designed our 'Bug Booster' to overcome power related missed lap problems) but allowing for that I guess its convenience outweighs its missed laps.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:39 PM   #239
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to XMSRacing Send a message via Yahoo to XMSRacing

I'm guessing you have a hand in its design or something.

I have never seen missed laps on a propely set up car. When there is something wrong with one of the compenents.. etc... sure. But was the AMB system at fault? no. More then likely there was a loss of power somewhere (no cap with a spektrum system, etc) or just a person who plain isn't good to their equipment. Sure, there may be a RARE occasion.. but I'm more then sure thre will be with any system. If missing laps was an issue, I'm sure you would already see another system being used at the worlds.

Switching numbers on a transponder is not considered "advanced" in my mind when your comparing it to a system that it is not needed on. Now if you were comparing a system where you had only 1 number per transponder.. and you had to rotate them or something crazy... now your talking advanced. But that condition does not exist.
XMSRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 05:33 PM   #240
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I have never seen missed laps on a propely set up car. When there is something wrong with one of the compenents.. etc... sure. But was the AMB system at fault? no. More then likely there was a loss of power somewhere (no cap with a spektrum system, etc) or just a person who plain isn't good to their equipment. Sure, there may be a RARE occasion.. but I'm more then sure thre will be with any system. If missing laps was an issue, I'm sure you would already see another system being used at the worlds.
Believe me laps do get missed. We wouldn't have developed our Bug Booster if there were no problems needing a solution. One of the most recent highest level missed lap incidents in the US is here:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...93#post1969693

Just go ask Jon Orr or Barry Baker!

As I said already an 'improved' PT will fix all the power related issues/problems plus be cheaper too. If it's not what people want then that's up to them, if they choose to stick with AMB that's their choice. It does seem that at least more than a few people would like an alternative PT.