R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-31-2005, 07:15 AM   #181
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to XMSRacing Send a message via Yahoo to XMSRacing

Then why stop at AMB???

Lets start a "cry here because it costs to much for ________ " thread for every single product on the market.
XMSRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 07:25 AM   #182
Suspended

Blackat, how's it that people like me make it expensive?So am I suppose to race with a piece of [email protected] car because someone else can't afford a good one?screw that I work for what i have. I do not set the prices you dipity-doo.I have been working full time for the lhs here for about 5 years, and I assure you the hobby is far from extinction, as a matter of fact we get more people who waist more $$ on purple aluminum crap than you can shake a stick at just because it looks cool.Also a lot of guys will buy a bigger engine just to be faster than thier buddies truck and they do not ever complain about a 50 dollar piece of purple metal that fits in your pocket.I think you should either get a 2cnd job to support your hobby like I did or shut the hell up........Its very simple if you have the money It's all good, If you not able to afford your hobby then I suggest you or whoever else is whining about prices..go get a job if you dont have one or go get a 2cnd job like a lot of us racers do so we can pay to play, I dont like working 2 jobs believe me but I do not have a choice.Everything costs money.....welcome to the real world.

Last edited by ntro75; 12-31-2005 at 07:36 AM.
ntro75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 07:51 AM   #183
Tech Apprentice

Here, here!! Some sense at last. I spent the first year of getting back into RC buying crap, waisting my money and then going out and buying the right thing that I should have bought in the first place, yes I do agree somethings in this hobby are expensive, but that is just the way things are tough poop!!! But those things that are expensive you look after and they dont break (unless you are a complete muppet) I think the moral of the story here is buy the absolute best you can afford dont compromise, and certainly dont whine when someone who has expendable income buys the newest and greatest toy on the market!!! There are guys that I race with that have cars that are 5yrs old, they keep them well maintained and they update the electronics and they are still very fast drivers. So dont give us the bull that other drivers are making the racing expensive this is not the case, just learn to drive faster.

And

As for AMB, I dont think it is AMB's fault that they keep putting there prices up, they have a monopoly on one segment of the market, and they are using the monopoly to there advantage. I think that this is covered in Buisness 101!!! Its up to the rest of the manufacturers to get off there combined asses and do something about it!! And lets just face it what are we going to do stop buying PT's? Its not like there is a viable alternative is there??? So stop bashing AMB and start bashing the other major manufacturers LRP, Orion, Novak etc.. and tell them that you want a viable alternative, its not like a PT is a very complex device!!!
Mi2_Tastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 11:15 AM   #184
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by koabich
You have to remember that this hobby is not for everyone. If you cannot aford to play, then don't!
How do you explain this to a 14 year old kid who's parents have him mowing yards inorder for him to do something he enjoys? Or even the 18 year old who just got out on his own in college who has had his parents helping him before but they don't help now because they are paying for his college in another state or on the otherside of the state? By saying if you can't afford it, you shouldn't do it will keep the next generation from getting involved. I notice at almost every track I have been to, about 80% of the drivers are your average middle class citizen. They only get what they need to in order to enjoy the time they spend with the friends they have made throughout the years of racing. Not everyone makes enough money to be able to purchase the latest and greatest part for their car. There are even some extremely fast drivers who purchase batteries only when they feel they have to(which in some cases, more offroad in mind, is every other year). Their equipment is outdated, wore out, but they can compete aginst some of the best and hold their own. Do you tell this person, ohh you don't spend enough, you need to go away?

Here is a little closer comparison on the price of the PT and the price of say a speed controller. the average speed controller costs approx $100, the PT costs between $80 and $100. Is the cost of the PT even close to the cost of developing the speed controller and all the circuitry in them? Both you willmore than likely only have to purchase once over a 4 year spand.

I love it when people say the wires break on these PT because of how the owner treats them. Wires break over prolong periods of time and being bent. Simple metalurgy there. Bend some metal enough with one end being affixed to a stationaly object(this will almost always cause there to be a sharp bend where the matal is attatched to the stationary object), it slowly becomes softer and softer at that point till it breaks(spring type metals are about the only ones this does notdirectly aply to). A simple solution to this would be for AMB to add on a rubber piece(similar to what servos and receivers to) to where the wire comes out of the transponder, this would help prevent a sharp bending point which is the true cause of the wire failure.

I have had my PT for almost 2 yars, baught it used, and I only have 1 but have 5 vehicles it has been tranfered around in. Just recently it has broken at the point of where the wire enters the case. So saying it lasts for ever is not true. People can say I wasn't careful all they want, but unless you know me you are only assuming, because I treated that as carefully as I could because I knew how delicate the wires could be and how important it is for them to work properly.
T. Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 11:55 AM   #185
Tech Master

i love it,we pay more for everything and we get it last and its normally the sh'tiest aswell.
i payed 60 pound for mine which is alot more then 60-80 dollers
Futaba
Speedtechrc
trf racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 12:10 PM   #186
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

[QUOTE=BlackKat]Not getting on your case or anything but this is why our hobby is getting nearer to the point of non-existant.

Why is our hobby so conservative? Why do we have to accept the status-quo? It can (and will) eventually change. The only reason its expensive to be competative in this hobby is because people like you make it expensive.[/QUOTE]

Your kidding right? If I purchase kits, parts, electronics, transponders, etc. from my LHS or even a on-line store, I'm helping to make this hobby more expenive?

*(walking away shaking head)*
MADHAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 12:13 PM   #187
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Thomas
How do you explain this to a 14 year old kid who's parents have him mowing yards inorder for him to do something he enjoys?
I call it a parent showing their child how to be responsible. If he wants something, he has to work for it!
Quote:
Or even the 18 year old who just got out on his own in college who has had his parents helping him before but they don't help now because they are paying for his college in another state or on the otherside of the state?
I would say maybe it's in both the parents and the college students best interest if he/she concentrates on college over the next 4 years and forget about RC for a bit. This way the child can graduate and get a job making $1,000,000 a year because apparently if you read this thread that's how much money you'll need to make to be able to afford an AMB Transponder!

Quote:
By saying if you can't afford it, you shouldn't do it will keep the next generation from getting involved.
Not true at all, it will keep out those who cannot afford to participate. Again, I want to race in NASCAR but cannot afford it...should they lower the price just for me? I want an XBox 360 but cannot afford the $400.00 for the unit and the $60.00 games, should IBM lower the price for me...hell no...pull your head out of your bottom! But wait, the high price of the unit is keeping an entire generation from enjoying the experience of owning an XBox 360...so...grow up.

Quote:
I notice at almost every track I have been to, about 80% of the drivers are your average middle class citizen. They only get what they need to in order to enjoy the time they spend with the friends they have made throughout the years of racing. Not everyone makes enough money to be able to purchase the latest and greatest part for their car. There are even some extremely fast drivers who purchase batteries only when they feel they have to(which in some cases, more offro
ad in mind, is every other year). Their equipment is outdated, wore out, but they can compete aginst some of the best and hold their own. Do you tell this person, ohh you don't spend enough, you need to go away?
You proved my exact point...THANK YOU. You should probably read threads more thourghly and make sure you comprehend them before you post. As you stated and I have stated in threads before this, buy what you can aford. Participate at the level that you can afford. You are acting like just because you cannot buy a transponder that you cannot participate in this hobby. YOU DO NOT NEED A TRANSPONDER TO PLAY IN THIS GAME...what's wrong with people.
Quote:
Here is a little closer comparison on the price of the PT and the price of say a speed controller. the average speed controller costs approx $100, the PT costs between $80 and $100. Is the cost of the PT even close to the cost of developing the speed controller and all the circuitry in them? Both you willmore than likely only have to purchase once over a 4 year spand.
SO? Who cares. In the time I've had THE SAME AMB Transponder, I've been through 1 $160 Novak ESC, 1 $180.00 Keyence, 2 $160.00 LRP QC's and 2 $170.00 LRP QC2 and only one AMB Transponder in that period of time. Guess what, the AMB has been the best investment in RC I've ever made. It has made me faster than any motor, battery, car or ESC ever could. I have gone through thousands and thousands (probably closer to tens of thousands ) of dollars of equipment in upgrading and such...guess what, still on the same $80.00 transponder that all you guys are crying about (this is the same for everyone reading this...don't say it's not).[/QUOTE]

Quote:
I love it when people say the wires break on these PT because of how the owner treats them. Wires break over prolong periods of time and being bent. Simple metalurgy there. Bend some metal enough with one end being affixed to a stationaly object(this will almost always cause there to be a sharp bend where the matal is attatched to the stationary object), it slowly becomes softer and softer at that point till it breaks(spring type metals are about the only ones this does notdirectly aply to). A simple solution to this would be for AMB to add on a rubber piece(similar to what servos and receivers to) to where the wire comes out of the transponder, this would help prevent a sharp bending point which is the true cause of the wire failure.
Well the wires on AMB Transponder are not like hair...they don't fall out by themselves. But in your case, I finally understand. Wires will fall out in the manner you describe. Here's a helpful tip so they will last longer for you. When unplugging the transponder and removing it from a car, do not grap the body of the transponder and then yank on it like the handle of a rip cord to pull the plug out of the receiver. Simply grab the end of the wire with the black plastic plug on it, grab the plug and remove it from the receiver, that way it takes all the stress off of where the wire enters the body.

Quote:
I have had my PT for almost 2 yars, baught it used, and I only have 1 but have 5 vehicles it has been tranfered around in. Just recently it has broken at the point of where the wire enters the case. So saying it lasts for ever is not true. People can say I wasn't careful all they want, but unless you know me you are only assuming, because I treated that as carefully as I could because I knew how delicate the wires could be and how important it is for them to work properly.
Again, read above!
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 12:21 PM   #188
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The AMB Personal Transponders are $80.00 at R/C Performance & Hobbies in Madison, WI. Which is the cheapest place to get them that I have seen. www.rcperformance.com
l_O_____O_\
prodirt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 01:02 PM   #189
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

There are really only two products in this hobby that I feel have been worth every penny spent.

PT (even though I bought when they were $50)
Spektrum

The reason I like them so much isn't because they gained me something in speed or performance but made racing that much more ENJOYABLE at the track. No more waiting for someone to return a transponder or waiting in tech to put one in, taking it out, etc. And the fact that I never go to a freq. board and can set trim/toe in pits whenever I choose makes racing more hassle free. Just my opinions.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:15 PM   #190
Tech Addict

It's a very simple reason why cost on some items like the AMB pt is what it is!! Supply and demand whitch is a formula that most of the manufacturing companies use to determine what an item should cost above what the actual manufacturing cost is. AMB is one of very few companies that make automated scoring systems and they are the most popular one out there.
With the growing number of poeple wanting to use thier transponders over the years thus increasing the demand normaly the price will and has increased with the increased demand for them. I baught my first one about 4 years ago for $50 and just recently baugh another from the same LHS for $86 and within that 4 year span there wher times when they where hard to get bacause they couldnt make them fast enough! Now they are readily available and that is from what I would assume is AMB doing some research and making improvements in thier manufacturing plant to be able to keep up with the damand whitch in turn cost them more to get the product out there to sell hense a increase in price. At least this is my perspective on why some things in RC cost as much as they do and I hope it is true, because if it is then that only means that RC is growing and if that means paying a little extra here and there then thats fine by me.
Jmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 01:16 PM   #191
Tech Regular

Quote:
Well the wires on AMB Transponder are not like hair...they don't fall out by themselves. But in your case, I finally understand. Wires will fall out in the manner you describe. Here's a helpful tip so they will last longer for you. When unplugging the transponder and removing it from a car, do not grap the body of the transponder and then yank on it like the handle of a rip cord to pull the plug out of the receiver. Simply grab the end of the wire with the black plastic plug on it, grab the plug and remove it from the receiver, that way it takes all the stress off of where the wire enters the body.

Again, read above!
Again assuming that is what you think I did, WHICH IS BY FAR NOT IT< I always grabbed the connector to disconnect from the receiver and then when removing from the car I used the case to remove the transponder from the velcro.

AMAYBE YOU SHOULD NOT ASSUME AS MUCH AS YOU DO. HELPFUL LITTLE TIP FROM ME TO YOU!

Oh yea, if you also read my post, you would notice what I suggest that AMB do that would help keepo the most common problem with PT's from happening.

And in a previous post, I believe I was one of the first here who mentioned AMB has a monopoly on the market for this type of item, and until there is an alternative, people will just have to pay what AMB asks for. Just wish they would upgrade the design a little to make it even more appealing to the mass.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:25 PM   #192
Tech Addict

the PT is a great investment although not necassary because most tracks have house transponders. But it always seems that when you go to get one that it is either in use or the one that used it last forgot to return it and you have to track it down so to me it's worth every penny just so i dont have to worry about it and not to mention the fact that most house unite are 3 times the size of a pt.
Jmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 01:31 PM   #193
Tech Regular

Quote:
I call it a parent showing their child how to be responsible. If he wants something, he has to work for it!
I never claimed that, you just did the easiest way to answer a question, changed the subject. I asked, HOW DO YOU JUSTIFY TELL A KID HE MUST NOT RACE IN ORDER TO SAVE ENOUGH TO PURCHASE 1 ITEM THAT IS NOT REQUIRED? I never asked about the parents, thank you.

Don't get me wrong, I also feel the PT is a great investment, but I still feel they are a little over priced.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:32 PM   #194
Tech Addict

Default Overheard at track

Teen: Mister, those cars are really cool. What would I have to do to race with you guys.

RC Racer: Listen Kid, you really want to spend all day Sunday here so you can race for 20 minutes?
You want to spend another 8 or 10 hours a week working on your car?
You got a grand to spend?
You want to go through the next 2 years learning about these cars?
You want to race in the stock class against guys who been racing for the last 15 years?

Teen: It looks like fun is it really that difficult and expensive?

RC Racer: Well why do you think you only see 2 people your age here and they are both here with their dads?

Teen: I see what you mean

RC Racer: Listen kid if we wanted more people to participate, you think we would make it so difficult and expensive to get started? You think the cars would be so fragile? You think we would make people spend an hour working on their car for every minute racing?

Teen: I see well maybe in the future when I get a good paying job.

RC Racer: Future? They are closing this track at the end of the season

Teen: Why they closing?

RC Racer: I guess because not enough young guys like you wanting to participate.

Teen: Ahh,

RC Racer: Yeah, itís a real shame.
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 01:58 PM   #195
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to oXYnary Send a message via Yahoo to oXYnary

/me applauds imjonah post.