R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-30-2005, 08:58 PM   #166
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4ftracer
This is only a problem when running 4 cells, correct? (1/12th) I run GT7's and QC2's, but I just bought pt's for all my vehicles and am now concerned about this. I race off-road 1/10 truck & buggy (6 cells obviously), so is this something I need to address? Thanks in advnce for any help!
I love these guys that start this stuff (not directed at you t4ftracer).

I have been running a LRP QC2 since they first became available. I now have 3 in total including my original. I run all my LRP QC2's with the World's Kit. All 3 of my cars have AMB Transponder's, Digital Servo's AND I run the Spektrum System. I HAVE NEVER HAD ONE SINGLE PROBLEM WITH THE SPEKTRUM OR THE AMB TRANSPONDER MISSING LAPS SINCE DAY ONE. All 3 cars run identical setups regarding electronics with the exception of one of the cars is a 1/12 scale so it only runs 4 cells.

You MAY or may not run into small problems running the AMB, Digital Servo's and the Spektrum at the same time with the QC2 without the capacitor, but the same could be said for all ESC's out there. That there have been problems noted with every brand ESC while running the Spektrum and a digital servo at the same time. All you can do is try it. If you are having glitching or missing laps, either put the Worlds kit on the LRP or run the cap in the receiver from Spektrum.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:41 PM   #167
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to oXYnary Send a message via Yahoo to oXYnary

Most manufacturers would want more people using their products. Going around telling people about this "supposedly " keeping it real idea of pay/play makes it worse for the hobby. You end up becoming part of the problem why this hobby is shrinking (make no doubt, and may be in part of the rise in cost because less volume)! Your not drawing new blood in. Your scaring people off!

This is why I race smaller scales. Because the cost issue isnt as great to go fast and compete. The name of the cost game really should be the class your in. The play shouldnt matter. Why should a spec or stock class encounter this same item cost? Its totally subjective based on what the person outputs normally for their vehicles.

There seems to be a very distinct line being drawn here almost the same as political arguement between the working class and rich. Those that can pay the cost since they invest so much in these higher priced classes are wondering at the frustration of those that don't.

$80 is a hell of alot to pay in comparison to what I spend on other parts of my car. Your justification doesn't work in the long wrong. One can say that "honestly" thats the way it is. But in reality, it isnt because your stating a subjective viewpoint as objective fact. In short, its this way because you personally can afford it. Others can not. Others also are not after the same degree or class/costs as yourself. If you got on board with these people versus shrugging them off as complainers you could work together to make a difference.

Your being disrespectful and drawing overzealous conclusions by grouping all racers into this huge "play or pay" justification. It simply does not work across the board. Each class and such has its own cost issues that can be lowered. What we are dealing with here is a global (in more than one way, look at the post from the gentleman in Asia at the cost), item that the cost is very unevenly justified to the end racer. Again, I point to the continuing dwindling of this hobby, which I do in fact partially blame on such attitudes. Please, continue to use such excuses until you are the only one left at the track; with the lights off. Maybe then you will see its a matter of balance..

On the subject. Open source system sounds perfect. Also, what about the wireless system they use to count laps in triathlons and such? It's some kind of small infared (is it)? circuit board sticker they put on a shoe. When it crosses the line, the infared is activated and the lap is counted for that individual. It wouldnt require any power from our systems since it is passive. Or is that the system mentioned earlier that our EM output would interfere?

Anyhow, you know hom much those cost each? About 1.00.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:53 PM   #168
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

OK I will give my two pennies....

1) You don't have to buy one....Most race tracks have loaner transponders.
2) What other RC related item do you only have to purchase once? Well I have heard people having to buy a replacement because theres got damaged...Mostly from there own fault.
3) I would pay $80 for something I know I won't have to rebuy even in three years....Wouldn't you...
It is "to each their own" mantality.
If you are hard core or really into racing then it might be worth it to buy one. If you aren't then you don't have too...
OK Rant over...
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 10:08 PM   #169
Suspended

I usually spend at the very least 1500.00-2 thousand dollars every season on my race rig, thats the buggy, engine, exhaust, electronics, bla-bla-bla do think I give a crap about a 80 dollar transponder that I only have to buy once? If people are that distraught over an 80 dollar p/s then they need to get into building dollhouses or something, for crying out loud our hobby is expensive people.I do not like it anymore than you believe me i would love it if a p/s was only 45 bucks, but guess what it's not and it probly never will be so go into the kitchen, and fix yourself a nice big plate of shut the [email protected] up. If you go to the dodge dealership to buy a neon and see the viper but do not have the money to buy it are you going to cry to the dealership it should only cost you what the sticker price is on the neon?Welcome to the really real world, guess what....IT SUCKS.
ntro75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 11:05 PM   #170
Tech Champion

It isnt though. Your trying to look at your sides of the hobby but only through your beergoogles of your more expensive class and saying its all $$$. No. sorry. You do not go past go and collect $100.

Remember some of us drive Pintos, and wonder why we are purchasing aircraft fuel?

Edit: Don't forget there are many tracks today that only have personal. Which is even more illogical considering (at least the one Im thinking of) they want to run more cost effective spec classes.

Please read myabove post again.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:43 PM   #171
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Quote:
Originally Posted by oXYnary
It isnt though. Your trying to look at your sides of the hobby but only through your beergoogles of your more expensive class and saying its all $$$. No. sorry. You do not go past go and collect $100.

Remember some of us drive Pintos, and wonder why we are purchasing aircraft fuel?

Edit: Don't forget there are many tracks today that only have personal. Which is even more illogical considering (at least the one Im thinking of) they want to run more cost effective spec classes.

Please read myabove post again.
You have to remember that this hobby is not for everyone. If you cannot aford to play, then don't! And this isn't a matter of rich versus poor. There is a lot of other stuff out there that i would love to spend money on besides RC but guess what...since I cannot afford to do those things and race RC at the same time, I don't.

I would love to race NASCAR but I cannot afford it so I do not do it. Alot of other people out there would also love to run NASCAR but cannot afford too so they do it on a smaller scale and maybe run on a small local dirt track using a car that's 20 years old that doesn't have the latest and greatest in technology.

I am not defending AMB for the increasing cost off Transponders. But come on, if you cannot afford it you cannot afford it. Complaining about the cost is not going to help anyone's situation. And even better yet, if you love RC (as you do) and can afford to participate in RC (which you already do) but for some reason you cannot afford the Transponder, guess what, it's not mandatory that you have one. If your track doesn't have hand out transponders, and you cannot borrow one, you cannot race but guess what, you can still run during practice.

Plain and simple, if you drive a Pinto and are buying aircraft fuel as you stated, then something is definately wrong. But bottom line is that you cannot afford to participate in this sport to the level that you wish. That a terrible thing and I wish you luck in obtaining the ability to do so. But remember, just because you wish to do something does not entitle you the right to do so.

Back to my NASCAR example, complaining about the cost of the AMB Transponders being high and you not being able to afford one is like me wanting to run NASCAR and complaining to Jack Roush that he wants too much money for one of his race engines...gee, I wonder what he would tell me?
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 11:53 PM   #172
Tech Champion

Again, see my original longer post before for your reply to my short one (yes kobich I was referencing in part you with the original one). Its all in there.

Play is the same no matter what you spend to race. Pay is just the separation of the classes. I need you to admit this and simply throw out your comment. Pay is tied into the class one runs. Not neccessarily racing in general. In that yes, you do have to pay something. However the pay that everyone is being forced to pay here is only to the financial benefit of the more expensive classes.

I also see you misconstrue what we see as complaining. What we are doing is trying to get attention to a problem that needs addressing.

Ill say it once and again. Go ahead and say that. As our hobby grows smaller and smaller and you find the competition dwindling, you will have to take responsibility with your own attitude toward all levels of racing.

So in short pay is play, but pay should be based on the class. Im sure you would suddenly find yourself on the other side of the fence if say you spent 1/5th scale money for your scale.

As a mod said this arguement needs to be redefined. Less separation of those that can and those that cant. To more what we can do to make this hobby the most cost effective.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:07 AM   #173
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntro75
If people are that distraught over an 80 dollar p/s then they need to get into building dollhouses or something.
Not getting on your case or anything but this is why our hobby is getting nearer to the point of non-existant.

Why is our hobby so conservative? Why do we have to accept the status-quo? It can (and will) eventually change. The only reason its expensive to be competative in this hobby is because people like you make it expensive.
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 01:34 AM   #174
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKat
..... The only reason its expensive to be competitive in this hobby is because people like you make it expensive.
Well Done !!! you got the point

My friend (non RC players) came into my house and he was shaking his head to see the price tag of my spare parts.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 02:44 AM   #175
Tech Initiate

Default Transponder

I think this is more about the future of the hobby vs. the actual cost of the transponder. There are few things in Rc's today that hold their value so well. However, it is a added expense that seems to be getting more and more expensive as each passing year goes by. We have a right to comment on something that seems unfair. Think about it this way if you went and bought a Esc today for 140 dollars. Then the next year and what seems like every year following that you pay more for that same Esc. No new shiney box no new features just the same old Esc. At what point do you feel you are being taken advantage of.

Like I said though it's not about us it's about the kids that someday will be racing. When I was a kid I raced a Rc10 graphite which I still own. I saved and scrounged up the money for everything that is on it. Back then I would break one A-arm and would have to wait for another 3 weeks for my paper route money to come. So basically every extra expense added to this hobby makes it less and less acessible to those that will be carrying the torch when we are gone or unable to race. Lucky for me I'm much older and have a good job to support my habit but, should it really be this way?
Soulstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 03:05 AM   #176
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm not taking sides here, at all. (you'd need a pretty deep foxhole to hide in either way you look at it)

But I would like toss this in, as the thread has turned into a "it's too expensive" debate. This is not directed at anyone in particular. I find these kinds of conversations interesting, given what we do for a living here.

Define "expensive"

Define "affordable"

<------ <dives for cover>

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 03:17 AM   #177
Tech Initiate

In Sweden we pay 900 SEK, which is 120 USD... Actually, I've never heard ANYONE complain about the cost for a PT here. Just buy it and forget it, in the long run, 80$ wont do any noticeable difference to your wallet.
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 03:56 AM   #178
Tech Apprentice

I think its time I put my 2cents worth in. Yes touring cars are expensive, I have three of the best ones out today, however it is my choice to have three so I dont moan, yes the spares are expensive, and I have a good collection for all three of my cars, again my choice. I have the money so I am going to spend it on what I like. But I enjoy the technology, I enjoy the hobby and if you ask anyone at my club I m the first to volunteer any of my spares to keep someone running for the night.

Over in the UK P/T's are normaly about the 50 mark, this is about the same mark as a good modified, a good reciever/servo etc.. There are a lot of things that are about this mark, but most of these items will wear out, I personaly know people running modified motors that run them for 3 meetings and then junk them. A PT lasts for ever, unless your a heavy handed caveman style buffon that rips them out of the car, (dont laugh I have seen this done, and then they bleet that they have broken it ) My PT is about 6yrs old, I've had it for 3 years and the guy before me had it for 3 and he did more racing with it that I do both on and offroad. I think that it is one of the best items in my pit box, I dont have to worry about it just plug it in and go!! So dont moan that it costs alot of money cause it doesnt, your small pea shapped brains think it does, you just see the price tag and wonder about how your going to pay for it!! But I bet in the same breath youve got a fist full of spares in your pit box that come out every once in a blue moon, just think how much they cost??? Rant over....
Mi2_Tastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 05:06 AM   #179
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Tommy Bergfeldt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrissey
In Sweden we pay 900 SEK, which is 120 USD... Actually, I've never heard ANYONE complain about the cost for a PT here. Just buy it and forget it, in the long run, 80$ wont do any noticeable difference to your wallet.
What you don't say here, is that they cost 500 SEK when released and for a couple of months. Then for every half year, they have gone up with 100 SEK and is now at 900 sek.
The proces on the PT's are insane, needless to say...
Tommy Bergfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 07:02 AM   #180

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The thing I dont understand is that people in here are actually defending AMB. What have they ever done for you other than take your money?

its like no one here understands that consumer criticism is a key part of keeping businesses in check. Just because you dont have an issue paying over priced prices... doesn't mean its right or that AMB needs to be defended. let their product, and pricing stand up for itself.