R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-28-2005, 08:14 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Suggestion for new charger?

I'm in the market for another charger. currently, I run a GFX and Pulsar Comp. I got some new EA IB3800's for Christamas and seeing as they can be a bit tempermental, i was considering the Much More Cell Master or the Straight Ltd. Frontline Ver.2 3-stage Charger. Can anybody sway me one way or the other?
I do like the fact that the much more racing charger can charge lipo (for the future)

thanks

vic
hierog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 08:51 AM   #2
Tech Adept

I use a Duratrax Ice for my backup charging needs, It does everything you need 1-8 Cells and Li-Ion and Li-Po. Disadvantages included only 10amp discharge and motor run. But if you have a GFX that is not really a problem. For the money the Ice is a great secondary charger.
mguebert69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 09:04 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I am charging my IB 3800's with a Pulsar comp charger and am having no issues what so ever with it. You just have to watch the temp of the cells and adjust your Delta accordingly. Mine regularly peak at 4100mah anyhow.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 09:42 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

but the Pulsar doesn't step charge or monitor temperature, 2 features that the other 2 offer.

I don't know much about the Ice, however i have heard good things about them
Old 12-28-2005, 09:50 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to hpiaustin

get the cell master much more charger any battery great
hpiaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:07 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Get the Much-More CTX Cell Master. I got it recently and I love it!
trf_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:02 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

bump for more replies!!
Old 12-28-2005, 06:19 PM   #8
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to ford_racing

You might try the Supernova Competition, it is not on your list but is a great little charger
ford_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:36 PM   #9
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

I am kinda at a lose here. You currently have the best charger that money can buy and you want to buy an inferior charger?

The IB3800's are not as you say "tempermental." Like all NiMH cells, they have certain requirements that must be followed for maximum performance and cell life but I would hardley say they are tempermental. They are actually very easy to maintain.

If you follow the charging specs listed on the SMC website, you'll be fine. You will find that with the GFX and the correct peak detect, you will never need to monitor the temp of the pack as they will peak at the same temp all the time (both my GFX peak my IB3800's with a 5 degree variance 100% of the time that includes under varios room temperature extremes).

Honestly, I would not buy a charger RIGHT NOW that can charge Lipo batteries unless you plan on running Lipo batteries RIGHT NOW. If you buy a charger now that can charge the batteries that you do not plan on running UNTIL several years from now, you will be wasting your money. In several years the technology will be better and better chargers will be on the market. Since Lipo is still in it's infantsy, you are better off waiting. Plus how long will it take for Lipo to catch on...months...years...maybe never...who knows?

Honestly, has there ever been any scientific evidence that proved that step charging was superior to linear charging? There were a lot of guys at my track that ran out and bought step chargers only to come back to their Competition Electronic chargers.

I've seen guys here post test results but once again, I've never seen any evidence on the track? In a hobby where the newest and best rules, everyone would have step chargers if they truely performed better. Hell, the Much More unit is smaller and cheaper than the GFX...if it really did a better job more would be using them IMO. I have never used a step charger so I am not saying this from personal experience but rather making this statement from the stuff I have read and from those racers who I race with that have tried it.

I would really like to hear if any of the battery matchers have layed with step charging technology?
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:36 PM   #10
Tech Regular

aps s3 3-1
XingXing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:40 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by koabich
In a hobby where the newest and best rules, everyone would have step chargers if they truely performed better. Hell, the Much More unit is smaller and cheaper than the GFX...if it really did a better job more would be using them IMO. I have never used a step charger so I am not saying this from personal experience but rather making this statement from the stuff I have read and from those racers who I race with that have tried it.

for what reason is step charging not good?

I use it, based on Hara's profile on my ctx-c and there are no adverse effects. I not sure if it benifits though. but if hara uses it it can't be all that bad

also isnt the comp electronics pit bull x3 the first to incorporate step charging? they must know a thing or two about charging
XingXing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 07:44 PM   #12
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by XingXing
for what reason is step charging not good?

I use it, based on Hara's profile on my ctx-c and there are no adverse effects. I not sure if it benifits though. but if hara uses it it can't be all that bad

also isnt the comp electronics pit bull x3 the first to incorporate step charging? they must know a thing or two about charging
If you correctly read my reply, you will notice I never said that step charging wasn't good. I simply asked IF IT WAS TRUELY BETTER than linear charging.

If Competition Electronics truely thought step charging was better, do you think they'd incorporate step charging into their top-of-the-line, professional charger or rather keep it for their budget model? Now I find that weird. All that it means to me is that CE included step charging into their budget level charger to reach the masses of people that buy products at that price point...unfortunately, chargers at this price point are considered the "better" if they have the most features and not necessarily offer the best charge. So I see CE taking advantage of this and use it to their advantage to sway buyers that would not normally consider purchasing the charger.

One thing about the top level of anything, including RC, just because the pro's say they do something doesn't actually mean they use it. For example and not that you care but to prove a point, do you think that Jeff Gordon really uses Quaker State engine oil in his NASCAR?

Please take this next statment in it's intended context and do not take it as me calling anyone a lier but it would benefit the manufactuer of a step charger to say that Driver A uses step charging and that he uses my charger. Now we can see if Driver A is using that manufactures charger or not but what we don't know is if he is actually using step charging. But if people believe that Driver A uses step charging then consumers will buy that charger.

I know the example above is extreme and not necessarily true but I am using it to prove a point...that point is that you or me or anyone doesn't actually know the real answer. At least I am not aware of any real test results on the subject and you simply use step charging because Hara does it.

Now again, I am interested in seeing apples to apples test results that state step charging is actually better than linear charging. It may be a fact that step charging is just as good as linear but is it better? I cannot see step charging be any worse than linear charging as people out there use it and like it. I have also never heard anything negative about it other than it can be hard finding the correct profiles and/or step charging methods, but if step charging was actually better, all the pro's, and by the nature of the beast the strong majority of club level racers would use it and just not a very select few.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:51 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Get the Much-More CTX Cell Master.

It's easier and lighter to transport too!
Runin Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 07:54 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to WhoMe

Very good points koabich
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 08:00 PM   #15
Tech Master

[QUOTE=Runin Ronin]Get the Much-More CTX Cell Master.

It's easier and lighter to transport too![/QUOTE

But why get an inferior charger to the GFX he already has? Is it just because it's smaller? That's hardley a good enough reason IMO. If he has the room for one, he can surely find enough room for the other. It's not like one is 2 pounds and the other is an elephant!