Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree61Likes

Team CRC Gen X 10 R/T

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 08:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Question on side springs/tweak springs. If my local guy doesn't get the .45's in for this weekend, is there an equal? I was rooting around some spare parts I have from back in the day and came across some blue (soft), white (medium) and red (firm) springs. In a pinch, could I use the blues or whites, and what are they equal to? I still have the kit .50's on at the moment, but I'm trying to soften the side dampening some. Thanks.

Ken
Old 11-02-2017, 09:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Use blue. Or just use the kit 50's
davidl and old_dude like this.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by old_dude
I put on brand new tires and they have a ton of grip. I recently made some big changes to get more steering which can result in that. I am constantly making changes looking for speed and balance. This last weekend I did it a few times but the bite was higher than what we have run on in a very long time. Normally there are not many foam cars running at our track. At the HWC 1/12 was the largest class and with 206 totalentries bite got high. You have to find the edge and back off just a little. The only cars that were faster than me at the end were Dumper and Tom Firshing and being third behind them I am OK with. In the "A" I was involved with a wad up of racers I was lapping which dropped me from second at the time to 6th. I worked my way back up to 4th at the end tone. This weekend I will try more stuff to try and catch them. Never set on your setup, always search for the next advantage and that will mean traction rolling every once and awhile with these cars. In this case it was reduce the reactive and reduce caster to get behind the edge just a little.
I have been running my tires for over two years now. Are you saying I will get more grip if I put on new tires?
Old 11-02-2017, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by davidl
I have been running my tires for over two years now. Are you saying I will get more grip if I put on new tires?
Jeez, as long as you've been racing these cars and yet you need to ask that question? LOL.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by davidl
Absolutely. A new set compared to one two or three months old (if you run weekly) could be good for a lap on a 10 second track. I am talking on CRC black carpet. I don't have a clue about pavement of gray carpet. If you have a big race coming up run them for a club race once before to get a feel for their grip difference. I put on new sets for my WGT-R and F1 just before the HWC and those sets will be good for the Indoor Champs. I will probably get new sets before the Snowbirds. Since those and our Summer Slam are the only big races I attend, that is about the only time I buy tires. Those are good for the rest of the year and I run weekly.
For weekly club racing run them as long as you can. My last set of WGT-R tires were getting the "ring of death". Usually the rear of the F1 gets that before I switch.
I don't know if the tire guys will love me or hate me for telling you guys this.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:00 AM
Tech Champion

Absolutely. A new set compared to one two or three months old (if you run weekly) could be good for a lap on a 10 second track. I am talking on CRC black carpet. I don't have a clue about pavement of gray carpet. If you have a big race coming up run them for a club race once before to get a feel for their grip difference. I put on new sets for my WGT-R and F1 just before the HWC and those sets will be good for the Indoor Champs. I will probably get new sets before the Snowbirds. Since those and our Summer Slam are the only big races I attend, that is about the only time I buy tires. Those are good for the rest of the year and I run weekly.
For weekly club racing run them as long as you can. My last set of WGT-R tires were getting the "ring of death". Usually the rear of the F1 gets that before I switch.
I don't know if the tire guys will love me or hate me for telling you guys this.
Ok, I see what you're saying here. My question is that since bite will usually go through the roof at a big race, like the Indoor Champs, do you really want the most grip that a new tire will provide? It seems to me that traction rolling would be an issue. Obviously you don't want an old worn set on either, but with the high ride heights GTR is running at it would seem, in my mind anyway, that the traction rolling would become an issue. Just my thoughts here, not trying to stir the pot...
Old 11-03-2017, 09:25 AM
Tech Master

This is not an entirely true statement. A newer set is easier to get quick on lower bite. As the bite increases, the performance gap decreases. But in all of my testing I really haven't found much difference at all in new VS older tires. Obviously if you have run them enough to get the ring of death, then they are shot anyways. The tires I ran at Summer Slam and the Halloween race are now over 12 months old. The rear tires that Tom Firsching ran are almost 3 years old. His original set.
Still Bill likes this.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by vafactor
Jeez, as long as you've been racing these cars and yet you need to ask that question? LOL.
HEY!!!! I am OLD!!!! I have only been racing RUBBER tires for a couple years. Not a large enough sample size. My cataracts are not letting me see the performance of the car. My IFMAR clock is too fast and needs proper calibration. What else can I say?
Still Bill likes this.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:06 AM
Tech Master

Brian is right on the extremely high bite conditions and this last weekend had me thinking about changing to an older set but I made adjustments to the car instead. The tires that had the ring of death were about 6 months old. That gives you an idea of how much I run that car. One racer was struggling a little last weekend in F1 and a suggestion was made to put on a new set. He jumped to 3rd. on the list and credited it to the new tires. I don't know how old the ones he took off were though. All I know is he passed me up with that change. David, someday I will fill you in on Dumpers comment about age, it's good. Chuck, you and I are all examples of you can still be good at this when you are older than dirt. LOL
Still Bill likes this.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:31 PM
Tech Master

Brian is right on the extremely high bite conditions and this last weekend had me thinking about changing to an older set but I made adjustments to the car instead. The tires that had the ring of death were about 6 months old. That gives you an idea of how much I run that car. One racer was struggling a little last weekend in F1 and a suggestion was made to put on a new set. He jumped to 3rd. on the list and credited it to the new tires. I don't know how old the ones he took off were though. All I know is he passed me up with that change. David, someday I will fill you in on Dumpers comment about age, it's good. Chuck, you and I are all examples of you can still be good at this when you are older than dirt. LOL
I have to tell you though. I am so old that when I was born, dirt was clean!
Old 11-04-2017, 04:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Soooooooooooooooooo...Maybe we should have a Grand Masters class for WGT-R/T...65 and over...LOL
tdu verney and LonnyJ1950 like this.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Still Bill
Soooooooooooooooooo...Maybe we should have a Grand Masters class for WGT-R/T...65 and over...LOL
I'll play
Old 11-04-2017, 06:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by vafactor
I'll play
I don't know if we could field enough drivers for a race. They won't let it be just between Perry and me. If they do, I want to build a new car constructed completely from titanium. And that still might not be bullet proof.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:58 AM
Tech Master

I am over 65 so I would qualify. LOL
On that note yesterday at a club race (same layout as the HWC) I actually beat Wayne G. (the HWC winner) in F1. Last straightaway pass and a side by side finish for a whopping .007 win. I dogged him the entire 6 minutes until I got a better launch off the last corner. It was and epic race. To be honest, he tried something in his setup that slowed him down a tick but I had picked up a tick from the HWC. I am going to have the main scoring sheet made into a monument. LOL
Micro_Racer and LonnyJ1950 like this.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:34 AM
Tech Champion

Guys, I have scanned in my instruction booklet and tried to load the PDF here but I'm guessing the file is too big. Dumper, would you like me to email it to you so that you can post it to the CRC site? And when will the latest set up's for this class be posted? Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.