Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/12 Pan car ball diff- trust bearing or bush

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 10:08 PM
Tech Adept

Default 1/12 Pan car ball diff- trust bearing or bush

I see some pan car ball diff use trust bearing and some use bush. Isn't the trust bearing provides the most smoothness? So why use bush?
Old 07-10-2016, 11:20 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

cost cutting, simple as that
Old 07-11-2016, 02:59 AM
Tech Champion

It isn't a bushing. It is a spacer with a lip that makes contact with the inner race of the outside bearing in the hub. Earlier versions used a cone washer. This basically turns the outer bearing of the hub into the thrust washer. Doing this makes the diff smoother and with less drag than a thrust washer. It is a performance modification not a cost savings modification.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Nothing is smoother than a good thrust bearing (Caged). Yokomo's encased thrust bearing is really nice and seems to take side loads better than a traditional bearing for the thrust bearing. Sometimes with the traditional bearing, it only takes a single hit to mess it up.

Caged bearing

Yokomo's bearing

Clearer picture

Traditional bearing
Old 07-11-2016, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The slapmaster thrust bearings are some of the best you can buy. Plus they last a very long time between rebuilds.

http://www.slapmastertools.com/thrust-bearings.php
Old 07-11-2016, 06:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Love the Yokomo one. Slapmaster has been good too but I love the ZenRacing version Here.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I run the Slapmaster kit. Loving it so far. I clean and regrease the bearing for every race weekend. No trouble yet, still as smooth as silk. Although I'm still trying to find a ceramic thrust bearing. I found a few but they are outside the USA
Old 07-11-2016, 10:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Race Fans,
Thanks for the props. About a decade ago I used brass cages on my thrust kits. I found that they could fail and immediately stopped selling them. The thrust ball could roll up on the brass cage locking up the assembly. Once I switched to stainless steel cages, it's been ultra reliable. I outsourced a pair of 4.1mm washers to properly fit over the 8-32 stud. I caution those that purchase standard 4x9x4 thrust bearings as you will find that the small ID will be 3.95mm which is too small to fit over the stud.

My instructions call out to use the flat side of the thrust washer. I still recommend that! If you ever want to take diff smoothness to the next level; sand the washers on 1000 grit with oil, then polish further with Mother's polish. Lube the thrust bearing with a light smear of black grease. Oh boy!

The only word of caution I offer towards ceramics is they can be brittle with impact or if you accidentally over tighten them. If you find one, it will be best if you sneak up on tightness.

And while good diff maintenance is a good practice, I honestly only clean my stock and super stock diff's 2-3 times a season. Mod, about every 2-3 race days, and that is just a cleaning and re-lube of the diff balls. I rarely put new parts in my diff's anymore.

Brian
Old 07-12-2016, 05:20 AM
Tech Adept

Default Thrust Bearing

I went to the slapmaster thrust bearing this last year and really like it. Other than saving the diff in an accident, the adjustablity (especially on tighter side) is nice without having to worry about fouling the weak (in side load) hub bearing.