Soldering Question >

Soldering Question

Soldering Question

Old 12-25-2005, 05:34 PM
Tech Regular

Default Soldering Question

Im new to RC's and I have this soldering gun:

http://www.e-sci.com/jensen/RENDER/1/71/390/4035.html

The 140/100W Wellers Gun. I was wondering if that would work to install a new motor, and then later be able to build packs. Also, what kind of metal solder would I need to buy? I think I have Zinc right now, but I can buy Iron or whatever kind I need to use, just wondering if that gun would work with it. It was my dad's old soldering gun, he claims a soldering gun is a soldering gun. He said it should work fine, just is not the pen type.

Will it work fine? Thanks.

P.S.- I have about 220 to spend on upgrades for my Stock TC4 (RTR). I bought new Jaco 2 Layer Foams already, Im thinking of buying a Stock class motor, motor lube, new steering arms (graphite), and what else would be good to put on it for now.

Thanks.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Cannot say of the gun will work but I can tell you that all soldering guns are not the same.

This gun will probably work in the beginning but if you are going to be building packs you want to get something that can reach 800 degree's.

Buy solder from your local hobby store. Do not use what you have. Buy a tube of Deans.

Didn't you just buy this car? Personally, I would save the cash and practice. If you are going to run foams, buy some foams and several good stock motors and that's it. The graphite parts at this stage in the game could only hurt you as they will break much easier than what you currently have on the car.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:31 PM
Tech Regular

Im just going to run pre-made packs for now. But will that gun work to install my new motor Im looking to get?

Im also just going to load up on stuff like Brushes for motor, pinion gears, stock spring set, shock oils, tools, ride height and champer gauges...also picking up a nice rolling tool box to get me going.

So just get a motor and accessories. Im going to lay off building packs and stuff until I advance in racing.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

it will be fine for installing a motor... just really heavy

dont use it to build packs... you need the right iron to do that...
Old 12-25-2005, 07:46 PM
Tech Regular

What type of metal would I use to install my motor?
Old 12-25-2005, 07:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

60/40 solder..
Old 12-25-2005, 08:03 PM
Tech Regular

Will Deans work fine? Or any other solder my shop sells....seeing its a r/c car shop so...
Old 12-26-2005, 06:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Just go to radio shack and get some 60/40 it's all you need and a whole lot cheaper than the hobby shop,that gun will work for know but you will need a good iron or station eventually.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:02 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Michael Barch
Will Deans work fine? Or any other solder my shop sells....seeing its a r/c car shop so...
I would just stick to the deans!
Old 12-26-2005, 08:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Deans

Regarding using Deans solder...Ream or drill a hole in the red cap of the tube and place the solder through it. Makes it more convenient to use and keeps it clean.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Lightbulb

Truth be known,Radio shacks Solder is made by Kester,as is deans they're some things that you really shouldn't be buying at a hobby shop,and solder is one of them.

Last edited by Hyper1; 12-26-2005 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:07 PM
Tech Addict

KESTER!!! Kester solder is simply the best solder around, find it at a electronics store (not radio shack), or some hardware store's (not home depot type place) or look on the web.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:23 PM
Tech Regular

sent you a PM
Old 12-26-2005, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Michael Barch
Im new to RC's and I have this soldering gun:

http://www.e-sci.com/jensen/RENDER/1/71/390/4035.html

The 140/100W Wellers Gun. I was wondering if that would work to install a new motor, and then later be able to build packs. Also, what kind of metal solder would I need to buy? I think I have Zinc right now, but I can buy Iron or whatever kind I need to use, just wondering if that gun would work with it. It was my dad's old soldering gun, he claims a soldering gun is a soldering gun. He said it should work fine, just is not the pen type.

Will it work fine? Thanks.

P.S.- I have about 220 to spend on upgrades for my Stock TC4 (RTR). I bought new Jaco 2 Layer Foams already, Im thinking of buying a Stock class motor, motor lube, new steering arms (graphite), and what else would be good to put on it for now.

Thanks.
I see you are from L.A. Take the foams back to the store and get some rubber tires. Sorex or some pre-glued tires and wheels, like RPs. I don't know of any carpet tracks in LA and most likely you don't have a tire lathe for foams anyway. Out here you don't run foams with electric asphalt outside, only nitro. To start a 45 watt iron is really a min for soldering. Try the one you have first and see how it works. And like the others have said, get some good solder.