Wiki Posts
Search

The Drift Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by charlie_b
Some Drift Vids at CAL Raceway in Orange, CA. www.calraceway.com We have regular drift sessions every Wednesday night called DRIFT JAM! Opens 5pm to 10pm! $10 to play!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

This is fun as hell! nice track and good group of guys!
Old 06-12-2011, 02:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Can someone help me or point me in the right direction in gearing my castle 5700kv? It's for my sprint that I want to get into drifting with. I'm also using just regular 6cell nimh batteries as I don't really want to spend all this money right now getting into lipos. Thanks
Old 06-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (100%+)

Drift Showdown 2011 concludes on July 23rd. The FINAL BATTLE to determine the overall points series winners will be held at a special location, one day only, one time only - get your drift on at

Yes - Round 6 will be held at the world famous Tamiya Raceway in Aliso Viejo, CA. The Tamiya America R&D test facility was built in 1993 and has been used to test and evaluate new products. It has also been used to host many of Tamiya America's racing events and a few industry racing events. These events include the Tamiya Championship Series, The Reedy Race of Champions and the KO PROPO Grand Prix. Now, you can add the RC DriftClub Drift Showdown to that list, as for one time only, you'll get a unique opportunity to drift at one of the premiere RC racing facilities in the world!

Click HERE for info and sign-ups. NOTE: you must be a member of the forums to sign up so feel free to register if you aren't a member! :-D
Old 06-17-2011, 05:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Hey everyone, first time posting here. I recently came across some of my old drifting videos and I have the itch again to get back into it. I have a tt01 with a locked rear diff, and I drift on ABS. It drifts well, but it really needs some hop ups like bearings and some other odds and ends. So instead, I found a tc4. Is this a pretty good chassis for drifting?

Also, how are the t drift treaded tires off of r2hobbies? I figured I try a set for 5 bucks
Old 06-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)

This thread needs more Pics!

here are my sons and my Nissans

Old 06-28-2011, 07:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Work in Progress

Finally got time to work on this thing. With some searching found a little more info I what I have. It's the original Yok MR4TC drift package, what they call a "Type B". Apparently, this car doesn't work well as a CS car. They redesigned suspension and some other things for the current Type C car. There's a conversion, but for now this will stay a 50/50 car while I see how I like RC drifting. Car had been run twice in the street on foam tires. You can see the drift tires had never been run, never even mounted on the car until I did it last night.

Put in a Tekin R1 Pro that I've had laying around for while, motor is the Tekin Redline 537 (5T, 3700 Kv). Other than 1/18 scale cars I've never run sensorless, so it will be interesting. Wires will stay long for now, if I'm happy with it I'll rotate speedo 180 deg and hardwire. That will let me put the Rx on it's side b/w speedo and servo, but for now it's going on top of the servo.

Couple questions. Kit comes with a 30T pinion, which I think if probably a little overgeared for this motor (FDR 5.48 with that pinion). I'm thinking somewhere about 6.0 to 6.60 or so will be about right. I assume the gears are 64 pitch, anyone know for sure?

Typical Yokomo, parts are scarce here. I used to race the MR4TC and GT-4 and had to carry a LHS with me. Seems to be even worse now LOL. I need the short servo mount (passenger side) and the antenna tube mount. Anyone have spares laying around? I can order, but it's going to take me a bit to receive. If anyone is willing to part with those please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails The Drift Thread-yoko-driftbuild-sized.jpg  
Old 06-28-2011, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

Upon further review, I believe the spur gear is actually 48P. The teeth look to be spaced too far apart to be 64P. Be too easy if the manual or exploded view just gave me the pitch or at least the part number LOL. If anyone knows for sure, please let me know.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Here's my drifter; evo x body flat white, stock hpi sprint chassis, locked rear diff, Momba max pro esc/ 5700kv motor, 6/9 offset worx wheels, and hpi t drift tires.
Will be getting a bunch of hop ups when hpi gets thier stock back up.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)

Originally Posted by cjtamu
Finally got time to work on this thing. With some searching found a little more info I what I have. It's the original Yok MR4TC drift package, what they call a "Type B". Apparently, this car doesn't work well as a CS car. They redesigned suspension and some other things for the current Type C car. There's a conversion, but for now this will stay a 50/50 car while I see how I like RC drifting. Car had been run twice in the street on foam tires. You can see the drift tires had never been run, never even mounted on the car until I did it last night.

Put in a Tekin R1 Pro that I've had laying around for while, motor is the Tekin Redline 537 (5T, 3700 Kv). Other than 1/18 scale cars I've never run sensorless, so it will be interesting. Wires will stay long for now, if I'm happy with it I'll rotate speedo 180 deg and hardwire. That will let me put the Rx on it's side b/w speedo and servo, but for now it's going on top of the servo.

Couple questions. Kit comes with a 30T pinion, which I think if probably a little overgeared for this motor (FDR 5.48 with that pinion). I'm thinking somewhere about 6.0 to 6.60 or so will be about right. I assume the gears are 64 pitch, anyone know for sure?

Typical Yokomo, parts are scarce here. I used to race the MR4TC and GT-4 and had to carry a LHS with me. Seems to be even worse now LOL. I need the short servo mount (passenger side) and the antenna tube mount. Anyone have spares laying around? I can order, but it's going to take me a bit to receive. If anyone is willing to part with those please let me know.

Man when CS drifting started this is what they used Ive had like 4 of these and they make CS gears for them! Every one I had was CS, And now my son has a type c thats CSed, as well as my World edition Yoke, The pics of the two Nissans I posted are yokes, and there is aton of stuff on the market for the type B!
Old 06-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Tech Initiate

What motor systems do you recommend for a 1/10 scale?
Old 06-29-2011, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by skadoosh
What motor systems do you recommend for a 1/10 scale?
I'm a total noob and couldn't drift for the life of me. I upgraded to a CC 5700kv less than a week of owning my HPI Sprint 2 Sport. I thought that drifting would be harder with a faster motor but on my first try, I was able to do perfect big and small donuts easily. I don't understand how that worked out, because I always thought that slower motors would be easier to drift with but I'm just happy that a beginner like myself can actually do some drifting. Although I still need much practice and far from being called a good drifter.

Here are vids last night of me testing out my new LEDs. I know that this is a drift thread and I didn't have drift tires on nor did I do any drifting (I was too lazy and this was around 12:40am --lol). I couldn't have drifted anyway since I was holding my phone (camera) on my right hand and driving with just my left.

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video
Old 06-29-2011, 08:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sliding_josh
Man when CS drifting started this is what they used Ive had like 4 of these and they make CS gears for them! Every one I had was CS, And now my son has a type c thats CSed, as well as my World edition Yoke, The pics of the two Nissans I posted are yokes, and there is aton of stuff on the market for the type B!
Oh yeah? Then you may be my go to guy for awhile. Got a spare small servo mount laying around LOL? There is an AE mount I think I can make work (AE7336) for the T2/T3 and TC5/6, but it's on back order.

Are you talking about the old MR4TC Worlds with the battery on the right side and the motor mounted sideways in left rear? I had a couple of those, sold them a couple years back for a guy to use in his middle school IT classes. Loved those cars. Rebuilt the shocks on the drifter last night, forgot how good Yok shocks are. Even these funky plastic ones with no bleeder cap are buttery smooth. Rebound isn't consistent, but never is with plastic shocks. If I keep it, shocks will be one of the first upgrades.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Thinking about getting my first car for drifting and have a few questions.

What is a good drift car kit to get?

Do you need a special ESC for drifting?

If I put on drift tires can i drift on any pavement or does it have to be on specially treated pavement?

I tried 1/8 on road Nitro but can't stand it, liked 1/10 2wd Electric off road but the closest track to me closed down recently and the next closest track has drifting and regular TC and drifting looks fun.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Onetrade
Thinking about getting my first car for drifting and have a few questions.

What is a good drift car kit to get?

Do you need a special ESC for drifting?

If I put on drift tires can i drift on any pavement or does it have to be on specially treated pavement?

I tried 1/8 on road Nitro but can't stand it, liked 1/10 2wd Electric off road but the closest track to me closed down recently and the next closest track has drifting and regular TC and drifting looks fun.
How about TT01 drift chassis? It's cheap and pretty durable.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by superspeed
How about TT01 drift chassis? It's cheap and pretty durable.
anything better?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.