The Drift Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Drift Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 12:16 AM
Tech Initiate

Thank you for the fast answer. I have 2x Super RS4 electrics, but the one I want to make a drifter is in ...bad condition(lots of glued parts and so). I buyed it for parts for the first one, but later desided to get some new parts and make it running. On the other one I have MM 7700kv and it cant be driven at all. Just goes crazy. Cant imagine the mamba in the drifter
I want to ask something about gear ratio... Should I put bigger pinion and smaler spur to get more speed, or just the opposite? I guess this can be adjusted by trying, but its better to start from one point.

Thanks again!
Old 03-31-2009, 01:58 AM
Tech Adept

Default hpi drift car

hi i have a hpi e10 drift car was just wondering what motor i should run it has a 27 turn in it now i was thinking of putting in a 19 turn drift motor some help please
Old 03-31-2009, 06:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Location: Too close to the great mouse house known as Disney World.

Originally Posted by Youngen
HI everybody, im new to R/c and new to the forums. Im 14 and i just bought a TT-01 chasis that came with rx-7 body and LED lights. Ive done a poor job so far but managed to finish the chasis yet something is wrong with it. The i also bought a Futaba servo and controller for it. The steering works fine but the electronics wont stop beeping and flashing and the motor just randomely moves the car backwards just ever so slightly but i can't move the car with the throttle, does anybody know what the problem is?
I had the same problem with my Tekin speed control. Try reversing the servo switch on the transmitter, and then reprogram the speed control. In the manual for my speed control, it explained that the sc may not recognize the neutral position in normal servo mode.

And don't worry about the controls, they will program by the direction of throttle/brake you apply. Meaning you won't have to put the stick in reverse to go forward.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitro mad
hi i have a hpi e10 drift car was just wondering what motor i should run it has a 27 turn in it now i was thinking of putting in a 19 turn drift motor some help please
i 19t will work, you need to put a 20t pinion gear in with it. thats he smallest you can go, so it might get a little warm. my friend has a 23t in his and it does well
Old 03-31-2009, 06:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Location: Too close to the great mouse house known as Disney World.

And as I am also new to drifting, and also making me re-entry into RC since high school many eons ago, are there any tips on chassis stiffness? I run a tc5r, with the itf top deck. It comes with the option to mount with countersunk screws, or to use o rings and spacers on the screws to allow more flex.

And I have no idea which would be more beneficial.

I was also wondering about gearing. I'm running a 13.5 bl on lipo, but am lost as to how high I should gear it. With the high gears that I was using on rubber tires, on abs it spins if I nail it from a dead stop. Yet at mid throttle, I don't seem to have the throttle 'snap' to kick out in turns. Is this something I just need more practice at, or should I drop my gears for more torque?
Old 03-31-2009, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stone D
And as I am also new to drifting, and also making me re-entry into RC since high school many eons ago, are there any tips on chassis stiffness? I run a tc5r, with the itf top deck. It comes with the option to mount with countersunk screws, or to use o rings and spacers on the screws to allow more flex.

I was also wondering about gearing. I'm running a 13.5 bl on lipo, but am lost as to how high I should gear it. With the high gears that I was using on rubber tires, on abs it spins if I nail it from a dead stop. Yet at mid throttle, I don't seem to have the throttle 'snap' to kick out in turns. Is this something I just need more practice at, or should I drop my gears for more torque?
i'd mount the top deck with the counter sunk screws. you really dont need to worry about the flex unless you are racing it on asphalt.

as far as with the snap, just practice more, learn the car. if you are still have troubles, drop the pinion a couple teeth to help you out. i usually run a couple teeth lower than i would for racing
Old 03-31-2009, 07:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wish_Mastera
Thank you for the fast answer. I have 2x Super RS4 electrics, but the one I want to make a drifter is in ...bad condition(lots of glued parts and so). I buyed it for parts for the first one, but later desided to get some new parts and make it running. On the other one I have MM 7700kv and it cant be driven at all. Just goes crazy. Cant imagine the mamba in the drifter
I want to ask something about gear ratio... Should I put bigger pinion and smaler spur to get more speed, or just the opposite? I guess this can be adjusted by trying, but its better to start from one point.

Thanks again!
i reccomend starting at 7.4fdr. if you want it to go faster, drop it by .1until you find a nice medium. but if your chassis has parts glued, i would strongly reccomend fixing those parts first. you will not get an acurate feel unless you do.

if you want it to whip around more, increase.

i personally use a FDR of 7.49 on a novak 8.5
Old 03-31-2009, 07:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

i wouldnt. you get too much speed ona 19T really anything ona sub 24T. 27t is what most racers in japan use unless you want to run with the bg dogs then you go 19t. but you need to know how to handle it.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

I had the same problem with my Tekin speed control. Try reversing the servo switch on the transmitter, and then reprogram the speed control. In the manual for my speed control, it explained that the sc may not recognize the neutral position in normal servo mode.

And don't worry about the controls, they will program by the direction of throttle/brake you apply. Meaning you won't have to put the stick in reverse to go forward.
set everything to 0 then re-program. use your remote to fine tune. your exp may be causing it to go backwards.(unless youre on a hill)
Old 03-31-2009, 07:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

use hpi t drifts. that cures that problem almost 100%. you could imagine, i use a 8.5T and am on lipo also. believe me, mine slides. the t drifts helped in every department, speed, acceleration, control and most importantly slide. the sliding is much more natural, and you can control it better.

try the t drifts and if you dont slide enough, regear to a higher fdr. watch the heat of the motor and esc. if it gets too hot and not sliding enough... may be time for a new motor.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:13 PM
Tech Adept

Default need help with e10 drift car

hi i have a e10 drift car what is the best chassis setup it is standard setup
Old 04-01-2009, 01:17 AM
Tech Rookie

what about a losi slider or something meant to drift on dirt vs. tearing up your motor/esc on high traction asphalt??
Old 04-01-2009, 05:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

hi i have a e10 drift car what is the best chassis setup it is standard setup
define standard setup...

any chassis is good. i reccomend having ball diffs or solid diffs(ball diff in the front and solid in the rear),oil filled shocks,bearings and a motor at 27T. the rest is based on prefrence.
spring stiffness FDR and the rest of hopups should be added as time progresses. develop your skills, then mod as you go. if you grip too much, stiffen the springs, if you grip too little soften them. if you dont kick out as much as you hope, raise the fdr, too much lower it. i practice 3 days a week. and have been for the past 3 or so years.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Carbon8ight
what about a losi slider or something meant to drift on dirt vs. tearing up your motor/esc on high traction asphalt??
you wont tear up you motor/esc if you have the right tires. hpi t drifts are the way to go. i know o a guy who runs a 3.5T and it is sooooo fast, and he can actually drift hard rubber tires. the motor doesnt get hot at all.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

been into drifting for about 3 months now, chassis is xray T2 008 US spec with MM esc & 5700kv so i dropped my FDR to 5.5, rear spool and front multi-diff one way on 2S lipo. been enjoying this so far.
got a 1m drift cup racer recently and finished doing front and rear diffs into the chassis. got a sidewinder for this but mulling over using the 4600KV or a 21.5 since i will end up using this as TC...
pics soon as im allowed- how many post does one need to post pics on here ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.