Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
The Drift Thread >

The Drift Thread

The Drift Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 11:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nagatahawk
I joined RCDrift club for a day, didn't like it. got out.
you get instant response but I thought they were rude.
Just because you work at a magezine doesn't give you master of the drift universe cred.

sorry about the whine, but I felt like venting somewhere. I'm sure you will have a positive experience there.

wn

That's true. As far as I'm concerned there are no MASTERS of the rc drift universe. RC drifting being a relatively young hobby there's much to learn still about setups. People tend to find a setup that works for them and stick with it without exploring other possibilities. (I'm guilty of this too)

I've just recently started drifting indoors on carpet and it has finally forced me to try different setups to get the sustained drifts I'm looking for. That's why it is so important to have forums so people can share their ideas and experiences. Imagine how long it would take a new drifter to get drifting if some of the more experienced guys didn't point him in the right direction?

I've found that racers, having alot of experience with setup and the physics behind it, tend to have the most knowledge and are able to apply it to rc drifting. I'm continually learning and wrenching on my rc.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TwinKays
Hey, just sharing something we're doing this weekend. Free drifting, free food, maybe even free prizes:

GET YOUR DORI ON! DRIFT SESSION 1
IS ON JANUARY 27TH, FROM 12-5PM!

For anyone in SoCal area, we'd love to see you come out =)

Get all the details here:

www.rcdriftclub.com

Congrats on putting together another regular drift session in SoCal. I heard you guys had 50 attendees. Will we see other drifters rise to the challenge and take on Team Arai, Drift Angle and the GD Boys in the GD series?
Old 02-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

I joined RCDrift club for a day, didn't like it. got out.
you get instant response but I thought they were rude.
Just because you work at a magezine doesn't give you master of the drift universe cred.

sorry about the whine, but I felt like venting somewhere. I'm sure you will have a positive experience there.

wn
I read that thread, the first person to get rude was you for thinking that everyone saying "no" to the control tire was being confrontational with you.

The guys at RCDriftClub are very helpful, and they're trying to steer away from the "Yokomo only" mindset that is too common on [i]that other site]. You made a comment, a few people responded to your comment, and then you got all defensive. Then you follow up by threatening to leave. And now you rant in this thread about an experience which was caused by your reactions, not their actions. Who's the rude one?

BTW your 'work at a magazine' rant is uncalled for. No where in the dialogue was that fact mentioned or used in that thread.

EDIT: did I just come off as 'strong'?
Old 02-17-2007, 12:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Aries326
Congrats on putting together another regular drift session in SoCal. I heard you guys had 50 attendees. Will we see other drifters rise to the challenge and take on Team Arai, Drift Angle and the GD Boys in the GD series?
You mean team Yokomo? JUST KIDDING =D

RCDriftClub is based in the L.A. area, for L.A. area RC drifters, started by 3 main people who have been in the RC industry for over 12 years. They have a better higher goal in RC drift than to just "take on" some competing group, heh =)

We're having another session next weekend. We'd like to invite everyone, including Drift Angle's Nagata, and any "GD Boys". Last session, a lot of RC drifters didn't realize that there's more to life than a zero-2

www.rcdiftclub.com
Old 02-25-2007, 11:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

hey have any of u guys used grey abs tube??
its whati got and from what ive heard tried i think it might be to hard any ideas?
Old 02-26-2007, 08:01 AM
Tech Regular

someone did come on strong. and and it seamed to me at the time people have a tendency to come on very agressivley to any respose.. yes I probably did take it personally. after all they did ask for suggestions. when you respond abruptly in email form it can be taken as an afront.

so I'm over it. and appologize for any uwarranted comments. if you can dish it out you will have to be able to take it in return. I can take it like a man. LOL

BTW I was going to come out to check out the last session, but was training for the LA Marathon Bike Ride. too many hobbies,and to much to do in too little time.

I will try to make to the next session.
cya wn

Last edited by nagatahawk; 02-26-2007 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

someone did come on strong. and and it seamed to me at the time people have a tendency to come on very agressivley to any respose.. yes I probably did take it personally. after all they did ask for suggestions. when you respond abruptly in email form it can be taken as an afront.

so I'm over it. and appologize for any uwarranted comments. if you can dish it out you will have to be able to take it in return. I can take it like a man. LOL

BTW I was going to come out to check out the last session, but was training for the LA Marathon Bike Ride. too many hobbies,and to much to do in too little time.

I will try to make to the next session.
cya wn
No worries, personally I never take what I 'read' on the Internet as a reflection of the actual person. They guys are actually really helpful, and you missed a good session. They had over 50 people show up (just for a session!) and there was music, free lunch.. both HPI people and Tamiya people came out to support (since they're 2 of the 11-12 sponsors the guys picked up), it was a good afternoon.

They're having a competition on the 31st of March, www.rcdriftclub.com for all the info. Open invite to Drift Angle, Team Arai, and GD... although since GD decided to switch their date to the same day (to directly compete with RC DriftClub, which I think is bad for the drifters), I doubt they'll show up. :wink:
Old 02-26-2007, 10:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Default RC Drfit Club Feb 24th Meet

We came, we saw - we had fun!

See'em all here!

Last edited by RCrallyX; 02-26-2007 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

i havent used grey. ive used black abs and white pvc though. both work okay. i use brushless motors. so i use the firmest rubber tires(typically yok 24mm) and some real stiff foams. works ok for me.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

....speaking of venting. mmmm, nah maybe not.

WE ARE PLAYING WITH TOYS.......let's keep it fun eh/.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aus jd 2703
hey have any of u guys used grey abs tube??
its whati got and from what ive heard tried i think it might be to hard any ideas?
its fine. if u can you want to get some weather stripping and some electrical tape. wrap the weather stripping around the wheel but leave a little extra space between both ends. and then just wrap 1-3 layers of electrical tape on the weather stripping.

you could try yokomo tires... and if u run a mod motor, you might want to try out the HPI drift radials for more speed. yokomos and abs give u less grip thus less speed. but you can learn how to control the car on 'plastics'. you can also try the Racing Physics RP-Ds which is their combo of "rubber and plastic" drift tires. which work great also.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:51 PM
Tech Elite

yeah. i dont use actual drift tires. ive heard the hpi radial ones are good though.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (100%+)

Originally Posted by streetracer745
yeah. i dont use actual drift tires. ive heard the hpi radial ones are good though.
they are good, i use them myself!

you can get them at www.speedtechrc.com for a fairly cheap price
Old 03-05-2007, 06:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Looking for info on setup for drifting

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how hard it would be and about how much it would cost to set up a car for drifting and if it is possible. I have a Calsonic Skyline GT-R '03 from Tamiya and just wondered if it would be cheaper to set it up for drifting or go out and buy the HPI rtr drift car.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

All you need is a touring car and drift tires. Any touring car should work, so your Tamiya is fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.