R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-25-2006, 02:19 AM   #781
Tech Regular

How do you do a 360 like the one they did in the sg drifters second video?
MK_Arbiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:30 AM   #782
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to anthony390

that is fairly simple, all u have to do ir turn right or left on ur choice and dont counter steer or let go of steering... say u turn left, continue to turn left and play with the throttle just a liitle bit and your car will soon do a 360 or more depending on how long you are going to hold the steering to the left

fairly simple just go out and try it for your self
anthony390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:56 AM   #783
Tech Adept

Default One more thing

You generally need to do a hard counter steer towards the end to recover from the spin. It's all about throttle control.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:07 AM   #784
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Great thread guys.....thank you.

I just got a TC4 RTR and would like to drift. As this thread reads I should go to Home Depot get some 2ft sections of ABS and put them on some rims.

How do I put the ABS on the rims? CA or Servo Tape??

I would love to know what you guys do to build up drift wheels. My rims are new and have all the ridges for rubber tires. I'm assuming I will have to dremel one side off. I would appreciate your knowledge.

Kevin
bikedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:23 PM   #785
Tech Adept

Default Drift abs

It's pretty simple really, cut your abs to size then scuff up the inner lip a bit, scuff the outer lip on your rims, push the rims into the abs and add some ca. The scuffs will help the ca hold the abs on the rims, smooth plastic doesnt bond as well.

Oh, you should then sand down the edges of the abs as otherwise it will tend to bite into the road on cornering which will really screw with your drifts.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:18 PM   #786
Tech Regular

How do you guys cut your abs? I'm using a hacksaw but i keep cutting the pieces of abs slightly diagonally.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:30 PM   #787
Tech Adept

I've been using a hacksaw and a miter box. A pipe cutting tool is better, getting a straight 90 degree cut. Clamping the pipe well and making sure it's laying flat with no unsupported length helps keep the cuts straight.
ljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:56 PM   #788
Tech Adept

Default Pipe cutter

I bought myself a pipe cutter. It's supposed to cut pipe up to 2 1/8 in diameter. It turns out the ABS is just a tiny bit more than that. Damn. It was the biggest one home depot had too.

Back to using lewis's hack saw I guess.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:38 PM   #789
Tech Fanatic

well i never bought a single drift tire...all i use and used or have has been my own abs tires...what i do simply is buy the regular abs piping for about 6 bucks for 12 ft i believe it was

i but the rim im going to use nest to the pipe so i can have an idea width i need to use.

after that i use any old hack saw and a plastic guide and cut it....i pre mount the tires but only to check if its good enough width for the wheel (the sides are still diangled)

after that i take out the rim and then mount the abs tire on to a lathe, i use the lathe to flatin out both sides so it matches the rim how i want it

once im done with the flated/even sides i can now work on rounding off the edges for more effecient drifts and better looking too

once all 4 tires are shaped,even, and rounded i simlpy mount on the tires with a super thin double back tape and i slide on the rim

wala im done!...well this is what i do and is, lets say 45 minutes for a good set of wheels
Old 07-27-2006, 08:35 PM   #790
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks guys. Of all the sites I've visited on rc drifting this is the one I like best.

Anthony........ is that the same double stick tape 3M makes for gift wrapping. I found some at Walmart and I think thats what your talking about.

I like the idea of using double stick tape. Seems it would be easier to mount new ABS on when time comes to replace.
bikedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:52 PM   #791
Tech Regular

I taped the wheel and tire to a motor to round off the tire. I'm using CA glue cause the abs doesnt fit tightly on the wheel.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:33 PM   #792
Tech Initiate

well guys i was reading some where that you could use electrical tape wrapped around your tires and so i tried it ....and come to find out it actually gripped better than some of my old rubber tamiya tires so im gonna have to try this abs stuff
supradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:54 PM   #793
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikedoctor
Thanks guys. Of all the sites I've visited on rc drifting this is the one I like best.

Anthony........ is that the same double stick tape 3M makes for gift wrapping. I found some at Walmart and I think thats what your talking about.

I like the idea of using double stick tape. Seems it would be easier to mount new ABS on when time comes to replace.
im not sure if its the same but i know that my double sidded tape is just as thin as scotch tape...is yours also?

and supradude the electrical tape also works just as great for mounting the abs on

some people put a light narrow foam that has adhesive on underside to stick on the rim..and then cover it with a nice layer of electrical tape....electrical is soft and gets warm easily...so when yoru sliding the heat gets to the electrical tape making it almost glue"y" to the tire

Last edited by anthony390; 07-28-2006 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:16 PM   #794
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by supradude
well guys i was reading some where that you could use electrical tape wrapped around your tires and so i tried it ....and come to find out it actually gripped better than some of my old rubber tamiya tires so im gonna have to try this abs stuff
Yeah, electrical tape is fairly grippy, it's not quite as sticky as sorex 40's at the temps I've run at. But it's not just stickiness that gets you traction with taped tires, the softness of the sidewall and insert will also buy some traction. This is why the yokomo treaded drift tires recommend using inserts for less grip - harder/stiffer tires grip less.

From what I've tried, from least to most grip: (?on guesses)
Abs
? pcv
?worn foam core abs

yokomo treaded drift tires

taped tires
hard race tires (40's etc) (depends on track temp)
HPI x patterns :P

good grip tires

There are some other changes besides grip - ie the sharpness of losing and regaining grip varies, mostly as an effect of stiffness.

ABS is the most fun because you don't need to go fast
The Yokomo tries looked the most like real car drifting
On asphalt tape was least consistent, followed by the 40's
On carpet rounded, fresh abs was best.
ljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:23 PM   #795
Tech Initiate

was it cause i was runnin a 19 t motor?.....should i try it again with my 14 t?
supradude is offline   Reply With Quote