Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
The Drift Thread >

The Drift Thread

The Drift Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by oakesy2001uk
further to the above, my shop has no stock on the drift tyres, so I'm going to not waste any more money and buy some pipe. So B&Q it is. Do I need 2" drainpipe? I dont have my wheels with me so cant measure. Also should i put tape on the rim before glueing or not?

u just need some CA glue and thall be fine...i cant really tell u what size because i dont know your wheel...
Old 02-20-2006, 12:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Hi, guys. In regards to the pvc drift tires, it should be 2" drain pipe. I know you must be wondering what the hell does a guy from Hawaii know. Anyway, the r/c drift community is fairly large and competitive, here. When you buy the pipe, we've found that there are two types of compounds. The best one to use the black short(precut to approx. 12") pipes from Home Depot. These should be broken in at least half way before reaching optimum performance. Do not buy the full length pipe as we have found that the longer pipe for some reason is not made the same as the precut pipes. Trust me, this was a huge secret over here for quite some time until one of our drifters shared it with the owner of our local hobby shop. This 17 year old kid was just winning every competition and we didn't know why until he told us.

You do not need to glue the pipe to the rim. We just wrap some masking tape to the inner(inside towards the car) half of the rim. Put enough masking tape you actually would have to step on the pipe and rim to get it to seat. If you put too little tape, the pipe will come off while your drifting.

Here's where I may raise some controversy. I'm telling this from our experiences, but I won't take any offense if you don't believe. As they say, don't knock it until you try it. The best drift car we've found it the Tamiya TL01LA kit. Optimal setup is with most of the hopups, but the key ones are the front one-way, oil dampers w/ #2 piston & 20 weight oil, tamiya yellow springs upfront, tamiya red springs in the rear, & high-speed gear set w/ 23T pinnion. I personally would suggest using the ball diff in the rear as it seems much easier to control. Everyone else uses a mod to the rear diff which is too difficult to explain online. Most guys use the stock silver can motor & Tamiya electronic speed control that comes with the car. For most situations, this is enough power & speed. Some guys use brushless motors which takes a little more skill to drift, but does help with the longer drifts & more speed on larger tracks. Trust me, the TL01 is awesome at drifting! My friends and I have been using our Pro4's, EVO IV, TA02, TB02R, & TC4's, but they don't drift nearly as well.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by wrxnfx
...I know you must be wondering what the hell does a guy from Hawaii know...

actually i have no hate on anybody that has drifting intrest ...also i know that hawaii is the DRIFT CAPITOL as far as U.S. states are

LOL

well yea it looks like you know alot but as far as i know its not just the kind of car but as well as the driver is to make the kit drift or drive better...also the set-up counts depend on how much time and effort you put it into...

i have been drifting with my tc3 about 3 years now and ive been shredding other cars while drifting, including tamiya cars that drift that have some amazing drivers...so what im trying to say is its not the car its more of the the driver
Old 02-20-2006, 12:49 PM
PaZ
Tech Master

nice info, theres no hate on this thread just the love for driftin im going out again on weds and well im gonna try the 9 turn again BUT im gonna use a different shell i cant affort to damage that apex shell thats my show off in summer shell roll on the good weather!
Right lets get started how many parts will i break on weds
Old 02-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by wrxnfx
...I know you must be wondering what the hell does a guy from Hawaii know...

actually i have no hate on anybody that has drifting intrest ...also i know that hawaii is the DRIFT CAPITOL as far as U.S. states are

LOL

well yea it looks like you know alot but as far as i know its not just the kind of car but as well as the driver is to make the kit drift or drive better...also the set-up counts depend on how much time and effort you put it into...

i have been drifting with my tc3 about 3 years now and ive been shredding other cars while drifting, including tamiya cars that drift that have some amazing drivers...so what im trying to say is its not the car its more of the the driver
Old 02-20-2006, 12:53 PM
PaZ
Tech Master

double post
Old 02-20-2006, 02:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by PaZ
double post

yea sorry about that coz my computer was going slow all of a sudden i guess and so i prolly did it twice...sorry bout that...i didnt mean too
Old 02-20-2006, 02:40 PM
PaZ
Tech Master

we all done it once
Old 02-20-2006, 03:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by PaZ
we all done it once
Old 02-20-2006, 03:59 PM
PaZ
Tech Master

i managed to blag the day off work tomorrow so im gonna spend the day playing with me drift car see it i can get it to handle the mighty power of the 9 turn
Old 02-20-2006, 04:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by PaZ
i managed to blag the day off work tomorrow so im gonna spend the day playing with me drift car see it i can get it to handle the mighty power of the 9 turn

rubber or plastic tires
Old 02-20-2006, 07:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Point1 Drift

I'm forming a team with my relatives and friends from the Toronto area but would like to add members in the Western to Central NY area so we can hold some drift meets in NY as well as make trips to Mississauga for the BoyToys drift meets.

Why form a team? Forming a team allows members to share information directly concerning setup, equiptment, working on shells as well as holding organized drift meets. In today's world, teams don't necessarily have to meet in order to share ideas or meet the same goals. If you're in the mentioned geographical area or think you would like to be a "virtual" team member, PM me.

Here are some pics of the two shells I have so far with more to come from the rest of the members. They can be used as desktop wallpapers.

Old 02-20-2006, 08:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aries326
I'm forming a team with my relatives and friends from the Toronto area but would like to add members in the Western to Central NY area so we can hold some drift meets in NY as well as make trips to Mississauga for the BoyToys drift meets.

Why form a team? Forming a team allows members to share information directly concerning setup, equiptment, working on shells as well as holding organized drift meets. In today's world, teams don't necessarily have to meet in order to share ideas or meet the same goals. If you're in the mentioned geographical area or think you would like to be a "virtual" team member, PM me.

Here are some pics of the two shells I have so far with more to come from the rest of the members. They can be used as desktop wallpapers.

u didnt tell me that u already made your s15 shell...LOL it looks good
Old 02-20-2006, 08:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Tha S15 isn't completely done yet. I still have to put the exhaust and license plate on among other tidbits. I've got other rims coming in so I may be using them instead of these Advans. The light buckets are in so I'll need some LEDs.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

You folks are right about the driver. Ultimately, the driver is the key. However, if you have a car that's easier to manuever, then that does help the driver to drift better. Over here for most people, the TL01LA doesn't take much to drift well. You can check out some of our video clips at http://s3.invisionfree.com/rcdrift/i...howtopic=10220. You will have to register (it's free), first.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.