Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
The Drift Thread >

The Drift Thread

The Drift Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 05:59 PM
  #2326  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 27
Default

3racing sakura zero s and D3


eagle racing tt01


kotar is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 06:02 PM
  #2327  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: 'Murika
Posts: 64
Default

The ZeroS doesn't look laterally balanced...
Slobalt7 is offline  
Old 02-18-2013, 03:19 AM
  #2328  
Tech Regular
 
Chiefy 707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vallejo, CA
Posts: 485
Default

I was reading this thread and a few pages back there was alot of "What should I get" questions. I've come up with a logical answer since alot of friends always ask me the same thing. It always depends how hardcore you're trying to be...

-"Still not sure if I want to do this but I'd like to give it a try" Borrow a friends car. Or buy one of the generic Exceed/HSP/Nitro RCX drifters. They're cheap. They drift. But you really can't CS it and aftermarket support is zilch.

-"I'm down bro! But I don't have a very big budget" Try one of the entry level drifters. Driftmission has this excellent article These cars are cheap and have great drift aftermarket support

-"Oh yeah I'm down, I could spend a bit, but not really alot" Find something used. You may be able to find a high end chassis for a great price. MST's MS01 RTR costs $100 more than an E10 RTR but the MS01 is one of the best drifting chassis' out there. Several sport level TC's make great drift cars because of aftermarket support. Tamiya's TA05 and 06 some to mind. You can also include the budget drifters, albeit with a liberal helping of mods and bling. Anything and everything under the sun is available for the TT01. Hydrogen fuel cell conversion anyone?

-"Sign me the fuc4 up! Sky's the limit!" Anything MST will do, especially if it ends in "VIP". Yokomo D'anything, hopefully RB!? Tamiya VD whatever. And, those Japanese kits you never hear about except in some drift forums. These are the cars you'll see at drift comps and whatnot. These cars are specifically designed for drifting. Two cars I always hear get so much praise for being quite possibly the best drift car out there, Yokomo DRB and MST MS/FS01.



The Phi is a racing TC and the D3 is a purpose built drifter. The Phi has is a higher quality kit but you'll still have to do alot more to it than you would the D3. There's more to drifting than driving a TC with hard tires.

Kotar, that has got to be the prettiest TT01 I've ever seen!

Last edited by Chiefy 707; 02-18-2013 at 03:48 AM. Reason: add
Chiefy 707 is offline  
Old 02-18-2013, 10:46 AM
  #2329  
Suspended
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Frederick MD
Posts: 394
Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Chiefy 707 View Post
I was reading this thread and a few pages back there was alot of "What should I get" questions. I've come up with a logical answer since alot of friends always ask me the same thing. It always depends how hardcore you're trying to be...

-"Still not sure if I want to do this but I'd like to give it a try" Borrow a friends car. Or buy one of the generic Exceed/HSP/Nitro RCX drifters. They're cheap. They drift. But you really can't CS it and aftermarket support is zilch.

-"I'm down bro! But I don't have a very big budget" Try one of the entry level drifters. Driftmission has this excellent article These cars are cheap and have great drift aftermarket support

-"Oh yeah I'm down, I could spend a bit, but not really alot" Find something used. You may be able to find a high end chassis for a great price. MST's MS01 RTR costs $100 more than an E10 RTR but the MS01 is one of the best drifting chassis' out there. Several sport level TC's make great drift cars because of aftermarket support. Tamiya's TA05 and 06 some to mind. You can also include the budget drifters, albeit with a liberal helping of mods and bling. Anything and everything under the sun is available for the TT01. Hydrogen fuel cell conversion anyone?

-"Sign me the fuc4 up! Sky's the limit!" Anything MST will do, especially if it ends in "VIP". Yokomo D'anything, hopefully RB!? Tamiya VD whatever. And, those Japanese kits you never hear about except in some drift forums. These are the cars you'll see at drift comps and whatnot. These cars are specifically designed for drifting. Two cars I always hear get so much praise for being quite possibly the best drift car out there, Yokomo DRB and MST MS/FS01.



The Phi is a racing TC and the D3 is a purpose built drifter. The Phi has is a higher quality kit but you'll still have to do alot more to it than you would the D3. There's more to drifting than driving a TC with hard tires.

Kotar, that has got to be the prettiest TT01 I've ever seen!
this is great info! i just wanted to get a drift car to run with some of the guys at the track between mains. nothing real serious. only two people have drift cars and both are tc cars turned drift.
cheebs is offline  
Old 02-18-2013, 10:52 AM
  #2330  
Suspended
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cali
Posts: 4,003
Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)
Default

When I was into the drift thing...I bought one of those redcat drifters...and withna few adjustments I had that thing keeping up with some of the high end drifters, and it is only like 150$ and brushed...and it hauls butt....just my opinion on an entry level drifter....also those things take a beating and they still work!!!
theblitzkidd is offline  
Old 02-18-2013, 06:15 PM
  #2331  
Suspended
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Frederick MD
Posts: 394
Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)
Default

so what doe s it take to turn a TC to a drift
cheebs is offline  
Old 02-18-2013, 07:02 PM
  #2332  
Guest
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 257
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by cheebs View Post
so what doe s it take to turn a TC to a drift
Selling it would be a good start

Buy a dedicated chassis like a VDF
OOOYAH is offline  
Old 02-18-2013, 07:51 PM
  #2333  
Suspended
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Frederick MD
Posts: 394
Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)
Default

Originally Posted by OOOYAH View Post
Selling it would be a good start

Buy a dedicated chassis like a VDF
if i wanted to buy a new car i would have asked about buying a new car.
i was wondering about turning a touring car to a drifter because of the tt-01e and the tt-01ed. it do not seem as if they really changed anything but the tires. the same goes for the hpi sprint 2. it was said earlier that if i were to use a corally tc it would cost so much more money. so what i am trying to get is comparing a tt01 to a corally is night and day with the corally being the better car. so why is it so much easier to convert the tt01? i'm have not gone in any direction as far a drift car. just trying to understand.
cheebs is offline  
Old 02-18-2013, 11:53 PM
  #2334  
Tech Regular
 
Chiefy 707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vallejo, CA
Posts: 485
Default

More often than not, you can turn a good racing TC into a great drifter because of the balance of the chassis. You might end up spending a little more money getting into things like CS pullies and steering mods but after all is said and done you'll start to wonder, "Why didn't I just get a drift car in the first place?"

That said, if you already have the TC in the first place then cool, build it up. Get a rear spool and a front one-way. Tinker with your pulleys. Overdrive your rear or underdrive your front to get some countersteer. Adjust your suspension to help with weight transfer. Play with the car and see what works.

The TT01, Sprint, or almost any other TC make somewhat okay drift cars with just a tire change. It's just that on the stock setup you'll feel the car diff-ing out or not wanting to yaw. It will get into powerslides but the drift will not be smooth or consistent.

Also, I hope my previous post didn't come across as elitist and douche-tacular. Just going by experience when it came to helping a bro find a car.
Chiefy 707 is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 05:28 AM
  #2335  
Suspended
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Frederick MD
Posts: 394
Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Chiefy 707 View Post
More often than not, you can turn a good racing TC into a great drifter because of the balance of the chassis. You might end up spending a little more money getting into things like CS pullies and steering mods but after all is said and done you'll start to wonder, "Why didn't I just get a drift car in the first place?"

That said, if you already have the TC in the first place then cool, build it up. Get a rear spool and a front one-way. Tinker with your pulleys. Overdrive your rear or underdrive your front to get some countersteer. Adjust your suspension to help with weight transfer. Play with the car and see what works.

The TT01, Sprint, or almost any other TC make somewhat okay drift cars with just a tire change. It's just that on the stock setup you'll feel the car diff-ing out or not wanting to yaw. It will get into powerslides but the drift will not be smooth or consistent.

Also, I hope my previous post didn't come across as elitist and douche-tacular. Just going by experience when it came to helping a bro find a car.
no your info was on point. it's just when you think about it better balanced car should be the better to drift out the box from the thinking of touring car logic. i do get what your saying.
cheebs is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 08:37 PM
  #2336  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: 'Murika
Posts: 64
Default

Originally Posted by cheebs View Post
it do not seem as if they really changed anything but the tires. the same goes for the hpi sprint 2.
Woah there. For it to slide with little consistency just change the tires.

For it to slide with control and balance just for a basic setup you need tires, left crank steering mod, locked rear diff, and camber adjustment.

For it to slide like a dull knife through cheese you also need countersteer(varying levels, choose your preference), one way front diff, belt lift mod, toe and ackerman adjustments, and MOAR CAMBER!

Trust me, check my sig.
Slobalt7 is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 10:33 PM
  #2337  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Collie Western Australia.
Posts: 738
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Hiya all... been reading this thread, but thought i would ask questions before i got to the end.. so apologies if mentioned.

I have a carbon fibre and alloy TT-01.. been using it with VTA class.

I do have a solid diff and a one way drive shaft.. so solid in the rear and one way up front (exact opposite to racing)

Can i put counter steer onto this thing?
from what i gather... i need to put a smaller tooth diff in the rear to make it rotate faster than the front diff?
is this even possible? anyone know of a diff with different teeth configurations?
Stangas is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 02:40 AM
  #2338  
Tech Regular
 
Chiefy 707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vallejo, CA
Posts: 485
Default

Originally Posted by Stangas View Post
Hiya all... been reading this thread, but thought i would ask questions before i got to the end.. so apologies if mentioned.

I have a carbon fibre and alloy TT-01.. been using it with VTA class.

I do have a solid diff and a one way drive shaft.. so solid in the rear and one way up front (exact opposite to racing)

Can i put counter steer onto this thing?
from what i gather... i need to put a smaller tooth diff in the rear to make it rotate faster than the front diff?
is this even possible? anyone know of a diff with different teeth configurations?
The TT-01 is such a popular car, everything under the sun is available for it just about. I even found a hydrogen fuel cell conversion!
Anyways there are commercially available CS gearsets like this.

When you start going for the higher CS rates though then that's when you might want to start looking into higher angle steering and high angle CVD's.

You can overdrive the rear or underdrive the front to achieve CS.
Chiefy 707 is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 03:01 AM
  #2339  
Tech Rookie
 
SNIPER95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Romania
Posts: 15
Default

hy everyone.i have an question how post a photo?
SNIPER95 is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 05:52 PM
  #2340  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: 'Murika
Posts: 64
Default

Have it hosted somewhere such as facebook or photobucket and hit the button above the text box that is second from the right, it will look like this: (img)url of your linked image(/img) but with brackets instead of parentheses
Slobalt7 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.