Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
The Drift Thread >

The Drift Thread

The Drift Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 12:15 AM
Tech Regular

Hah I forgot about that site too! The quest for TA03 shi+ continues!
Old 09-04-2012, 12:26 AM
Suspended

Got it bookmarked now. Lots of awesome stuff!
Old 09-04-2012, 05:44 AM
Suspended

Any word on when the Sakura D3 CS is going to come out? RC Mart used to say it would be out at the end of August and now it says early September. Reminds me of Blizzard always changing the release dates of the games and expansions.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Tech Regular

i check everyday almost and still have no idea. The new Team Magic car already came out and I learned of that car almost a month after the D3.

After seeeing this though...

...my wishy washy ass wants a TA06 Pro now! Apparently they make very good drift cars.

Really though I keep telling myself I'll get a D3 when it comes out I'll still get it. But I have this TA03 on my plate right now and I'm spending alot more than I thought I would.

Were you planning on doing anything with your E10? I was even thinking about picking up a TT01 to see what I could do with it. Those things have a crazy aftermarket.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Suspended

The only thing I was planning on doing right away with the E10 is get a nice AE86 or S13 body and make it look as scale as possible. Still really thinking about getting the R2 YKM clone and upgrading it with a Wrap-Up Next FR-D conversion for some sick RWD drifting.

http://www.r2hobbies.com/rc-cars/car...assis-kit.html
http://driftmission.com/wrap-up-next...onversion-kit/
Old 09-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Tech Initiate

The TA06 will have good aftermarket support since it is in pretty high demand over in Japan. A lot of companies will be working on drift mods for it, and already have. Active Hobby even makes a pretty trick front motor conversion for it. The car you pictured is heavily modified, and I think the total came out to somewhere around 900-1200USD retail when he was done with it.

If you are looking to buy a clone car from R2 hobbies, another car to consider may be the Street Jams R31 clone. It's $80 or so, and since you were looking at the Sakura D3 CS front motor, Eagle hobby has come out with a front motor conversion for the Street Jams R31. This conversion will also work with the R2 hobbies clone car. I think in the near future I'd like to put together this conversion, it looks really nice, and worth checking out. You can check out the conversion at www(dot)broadtech(dot)hk
Old 09-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey everyone, I just started drifting a day ago. Bought myself a Sprint 2 Drift RTR.
No mods done to it yet, I want to get the rear diff locked because I seem to spin out pretty easily. Could be my skill level too lol. But so far what mods I had in mind were to change to a lipo battery and lock the rear diffs. Even get a new body too, not a fan of the camaro but since it came stock, can't complain.

We have any Florida drifters? I'm near the Tampa area in New Port Richey and wanted to know if they have some tracks or groups that do drifting. Let me know!
Old 09-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Suspended

Welcome to the world of drifting and remember it's all about throttle control and you'll only get better through lots of practice.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Tech Adept

Ta03 is a dead-end platform. There is no suspension adjustability and parts support is pretty much nil other than cheap imitation parts. It has some vintage appeal, but in the long run, something more modern will be much better.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Yeah I'm definitely getting a little bit better slowly. Will locking my rear diff make a noticeable difference in drifting and less spinning out?
Old 09-04-2012, 10:59 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JaySushi
Yeah I'm definitely getting a little bit better slowly. Will locking my rear diff make a noticeable difference in drifting and less spinning out?
Locking the rear diff will definitely make a difference and probably make drifting easier for you.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by GenkiRF
The TA06 will have good aftermarket support since it is in pretty high demand over in Japan. A lot of companies will be working on drift mods for it, and already have. Active Hobby even makes a pretty trick front motor conversion for it. The car you pictured is heavily modified, and I think the total came out to somewhere around 900-1200USD retail when he was done with it.

If you are looking to buy a clone car from R2 hobbies, another car to consider may be the Street Jams R31 clone. It's $80 or so, and since you were looking at the Sakura D3 CS front motor, Eagle hobby has come out with a front motor conversion for the Street Jams R31. This conversion will also work with the R2 hobbies clone car. I think in the near future I'd like to put together this conversion, it looks really nice, and worth checking out. You can check out the conversion at www(dot)broadtech(dot)hk
Yeah I was following his blog. But man that is a beautiful car, some other sweet looking eye candy on his blog as well. His drift club has some crazy sick chassis! Check it out here.

When I saw the Eagle conversion for the R31, my 1st thought was "OMFG! This and the cheapo TEH chassis!?" I can have 2 crazy gold cars!!

My 2nd drift car was supposed to be "plastic fantastic" and I had my sights set on the Sakura D3. Won't be happening anytime soon though since project TA03 is underway. I'm well aware of the limitations of the TA03 platform but I still believe it's a great drift platform with almost perfect balance. I still have my Goldilocks so it's not as if my 03 will be my primary drifter. Still, I want to see for myself what it can do. Who know's, I may end up liking it more than my VDF. Can it live up to being the AE86 of the RC drift world?

After reading about the TA06, I've been thinking about getting a 3rd chassis and it just may be a TA06! That way I'll have a front motor, a front midship, and perhaps a rear midship. The balance of the TA06 is ace with everything running down and very low along the centerline. Interesting how in the previously mentioned blog he state's alot of the folks out there in Japan are leaving their drift specific chassis for the 06, could it really be that good?

Is it just me or are the drift forums around the interwebs are getting active? I remember posting something and not getting any response until weeks later. That's gotta be a good sign.

Jay, not sure of the exact dynamics behind a locked diff but I just like to think it break the rear loose easier and sustains a drift by preventing the inner wheel from grabbing too much traction. Maybe I'm wrong though
Old 09-05-2012, 12:32 AM
Suspended

@Chiefy - Did you decide to wait on the TT01?
Old 09-05-2012, 01:01 AM
Tech Regular

Shi+ bro, on Saturday I said to myself "Eff it, it's available I'm getting it!" That is the D3. Good thing it wasn't!

My ass always wants but almost never gets I see crystal blue TA06's and next thing you know I want a TA06! I always need to remind myself that I need to finish whats been started but like I described myself before, my ass is wishy washy.

If I got a TT01 I just know I'd spend well more than double what I bought it for on hop ups. That car has everything under the sun available for it. Even a short course conversio..... just kidding! I almost did buy one late last year for my daughter though I'll prolly get the D3 before a TT01.

(just wanted to add that "dirt oval" and "short course" is an inside joke. As far as most of my LHS's go, you'll find SC and dirt oval stuff, but never drift.)

Last edited by Chiefy 707; 09-05-2012 at 01:09 AM. Reason: oops
Old 09-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Suspended

I hear ya, I need to thin my herd a little before picking up some more RC's.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.