R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-24-2005, 10:05 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Michael Barch
Default Best upgrade for $150

I have a stock RTR Tc4 (with new Jaco 2 layer foam tires). What would be a good upgrade to get for it? I was thinking about getting a speed control for it. Im looking to keep my motor in it (mod class 15 turn) because I want to race in that class when I get a bit better.

I don't need any batteries or chargers at the moment.

I was thinking maybe to buy carbon fiber chassis? Or should I just keep the stock one until I start breaking parts, then buy chassis parts when needed?

Thanks, Mike.
Michael Barch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 10:11 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to v0rtex Send a message via AIM to v0rtex Send a message via MSN to v0rtex

Upgrade the motor to a good 19t or Stock motor, and save the change toward a good speedie once you get the hang of at least 19t or stock. The RTR motor in the TC4 is made to a price and wont cut it in Mod, IIRC it has bushings rather than bearings and isnt rebuildable (ie, so you cant easily cut the comm). Even if you kept the motor, it would be past its best after a few days of racing. Best ditch it and get a race-spec motor.

The speed control that came with the RTR will handle a 19t or stock motor no problems, but you'll probably find a race-spec 19t motor will be faster than your bushed 15t motor anyway.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:12 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Zac R Send a message via MSN to Zac R

threaded shocks there about 60

92zero Deisgns
Decals - Clothing - Pit boards - Wraps - Signs - Banners & More
Zac R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 10:13 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to thedudeaturdoor

i would hold off and wait untill i could get my hands on the Factory conversion

a new spedo and servo?, but i drift so its prob. diffrent for you

if the sterring is bad i would get a new MG serv and a speedo

then a new motor
thedudeaturdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 10:31 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0rtex
Upgrade the motor to a good 19t or Stock motor, and save the change toward a good speedie once you get the hang of at least 19t or stock. The RTR motor in the TC4 is made to a price and wont cut it in Mod, IIRC it has bushings rather than bearings and isnt rebuildable (ie, so you cant easily cut the comm). Even if you kept the motor, it would be past its best after a few days of racing. Best ditch it and get a race-spec motor.

The speed control that came with the RTR will handle a 19t or stock motor no problems, but you'll probably find a race-spec 19t motor will be faster than your bushed 15t motor anyway.
i agree with him......the rtr motor is junk.....i wouldnt worry about threaded shocks ...i raced tc3s for 2 years before i got a FT with threaded shocks...if you are going to race , you will prolly want/need to change the springs also...i would also consider some nice race packs..not a must...but somthing decent, but i dunno what your using now ..and some more foams while you got the $$ prolly wouldnt hurt......other than that...i never bought anything special till i got fast enough to where i noticed i needed ...
BiggAlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 11:28 PM   #6
Tech Elite

I should go for a quality forward-only esc.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:52 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Michael Barch

Ok, so my stock ESC can handle any Stock Motor (27T) and Any (19T)? So I can put the ESC off for now?

Should I go Stock or 19T class?

Thx.

Last edited by Michael Barch; 12-25-2005 at 12:03 AM.
Michael Barch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 12:09 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

stretch your dollar and get a USED Novak GT7(or other high end ESC),a USED high end servo, and a NEW Monster stock motor. those are the greatest improvements you could get with $150 bar none!!
Old 12-25-2005, 12:34 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/C Anonymous
stretch your dollar and get a USED Novak GT7(or other high end ESC),a USED high end servo, and a NEW Monster stock motor. those are the greatest improvements you could get with $150 bar none!!
Agreed.

I often see used GT7's go for anything between $50 - $70. (in good condition)

I would go with stock if you are new. Get the feel for that and learn the car good and proper....

I would hang off for a few weeks tho, there is some new Stock motors being released from Integy/Atlas & Trinity. From what I have heard they sound like they a quite a bit better than the current Stock Motors. Wait a couple of weeks and see before you spend the money....

And You can pick up a Futaba S9550 (low profile) digital servo for about $60 USD from R/C Champ.

These items will be far better than buying a carbon fibre conversion..... FAR BETTER.....

"He who dies with the most toys wins" - Phil Harris
Jack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 12:47 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to v0rtex Send a message via AIM to v0rtex Send a message via MSN to v0rtex

Quote:
If you can stretch the budget that far, do it, but its not needed to have fun What you have is plenty to get out there and drive!

If it was me, motor first, then servo, then speedie
Old 12-25-2005, 08:46 AM   #11
Tech Regular

1. 19T motor
2. matched cells
3. Pinion gear that will give you good gear ratio for the 19T motor.

This will make your TC4 faster for sure!
trf_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 12:10 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you want to race, I would recommend getting the following first:

27 turn stock motor (probebly best to race in the stock class at first, novice-class if they have it)
A selection of pinion gears
A couple sets of tires
A stock spring set
A selection of shock oils
A selection of hex wrenches (those little "L" wrenches won't cut it)
Ride hieght and Camber guages.
A protoform Stratus 3.0 or Mazda 6 body
A few sets of brushes for your new stock motor

These items are not so much upgrades as they are accessories that are essential for a good racing platform.

After those, look into a nice ESC. Like others have said, a used GT-7 would be a good choice. Other good choices would be a Quantum Competition 2 and Tekin G-10 or G-11.

After that it would probebly be a good idea to get a new/better radio set-up. Doesn't have to be too fancy, but a computerized FM radio would be a good idea, like a Futaba 3PM or an equivilant from another manufacturer. They're more adjustable and allow you to make the most of your car. It would also be a good idea to upgrade your servo. I like the Futaba digital servos, but on a lot of my sport running vehicles I use the Hitec HS-635.

And then after that... top quality batteries and top quality charger. I like my SMC IB3800 packs and my LRP Pulsar Competition 2 charger.

Other stuff you'll probebly want to get at some point in time are: a Set-up station, comm lathe, tire lathe.

Then after that, save up your money so you can get a Factory Team TC4. Then you'll have one of the best cars out there, and use can use your TC4 RTR platform for parts, or you can sell it to recoup a little of your investment.

-Frank
FrankW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 12:20 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Merry Christmas
MOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 12:41 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankW
If you want to race, I would recommend getting the following first:

27 turn stock motor (probebly best to race in the stock class at first, novice-class if they have it)
A selection of pinion gears
A couple sets of tires
A stock spring set
A selection of shock oils
A selection of hex wrenches (those little "L" wrenches won't cut it)
Ride hieght and Camber guages.
A protoform Stratus 3.0 or Mazda 6 body
A few sets of brushes for your new stock motor

These items are not so much upgrades as they are accessories that are essential for a good racing platform.

After those, look into a nice ESC. Like others have said, a used GT-7 would be a good choice. Other good choices would be a Quantum Competition 2 and Tekin G-10 or G-11.

After that it would probebly be a good idea to get a new/better radio set-up. Doesn't have to be too fancy, but a computerized FM radio would be a good idea, like a Futaba 3PM or an equivilant from another manufacturer. They're more adjustable and allow you to make the most of your car. It would also be a good idea to upgrade your servo. I like the Futaba digital servos, but on a lot of my sport running vehicles I use the Hitec HS-635.

And then after that... top quality batteries and top quality charger. I like my SMC IB3800 packs and my LRP Pulsar Competition 2 charger.

Other stuff you'll probebly want to get at some point in time are: a Set-up station, comm lathe, tire lathe.

Then after that, save up your money so you can get a Factory Team TC4. Then you'll have one of the best cars out there, and use can use your TC4 RTR platform for parts, or you can sell it to recoup a little of your investment.

-Frank
thats kinda what i was tryin to say...his ESC is "raceable"...he needs the essentails before the needs to upgrade raceable eqpt........if you are ravcing TC with foams...you will forsure want a decent motor..tools..springs and tires....
BiggAlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 04:29 PM   #15
Tech Adept

I agree with others. Unless you have an unbelievable natural talent, stock class racing will provide you with plenty of challenge for months or years to come.

Also, the Monster Pro stock motor was much faster than the RTR motor in my RTR TC4. If you wait a few weeks, there is a new motor called the CO27 that promises to be even better than the Monster for stock racing.

Start with a strong stock motor and see how well you can drive and race. Think about upgrades after that.

Also, as others have said, get a good set of tools. You will need these forever. At the least, get a set of allen drivers and a nut driver for your wheel nuts.

Ira
iblumberg is offline   Reply With Quote