R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-23-2005, 10:28 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default cheap esc

Hey guys,
I'm looking for an inexpensive esc for my tt-01 and possibly a ta-05 in the future. I'll just be running sport, machine wound modifieds with possibly a high speed digital servo. I saw these two on rcMart.com.
Moped v16 and the
TP-m8
I read somewhere that the moped one is based off of the KO Propo Vfs-1. I've also heard of people having good results with the tp-m8. Does anyone know which one would be better? All help is appreciated.
20%nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 10:55 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to josh69162

I don't know... Those ESC's seem to be a little shady. I would buy a used ESC of name brand, such as Novak, LRP, or KO, etc. A good reliable, slightly more expensive used ESC from Novak or someone is better than a new, have-no-idea-if-it's-reliable ESC that's huge. RC is definately one of those situations where "you buy cheap, you buy twice."
-Josh
josh69162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 11:07 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would have to agree with Josh. I would recommend that up find on used. there are tons off great deals out there. even the old Tekin G10 pro plus. to Lrp's Novaks. etc are all great. there a lot of guy's getting rid off there old stuff cause they want to upgrade to the newest bling out.

And yes you get what you pay for.

I know novak has a great customer, As does Tekin. and Lrp I guess also.

Plus I would also wait see what comes up on here and Ebay after x-mas, As there will be lots going on for sale.

Okay I need to go to bed know.
cyrrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 04:33 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

I like the LRP Quantum competition esc's. How much should I expect to pay for a QC1 or QC2?
Old 12-23-2005, 05:05 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20%nitro
Hey guys,
I'm looking for an inexpensive esc for my tt-01 and possibly a ta-05 in the future. I'll just be running sport, machine wound modifieds with possibly a high speed digital servo. I saw these two on rcMart.com.
Moped v16 and the
TP-m8
I read somewhere that the moped one is based off of the KO Propo Vfs-1. I've also heard of people having good results with the tp-m8. Does anyone know which one would be better? All help is appreciated.
I used the TP M8 in my touringcar with a 10turn motor and it is very reliable for its money. I bought myself later a smaller esc (Mtroniks Cirrus Pro) because the TP M8 was for a little to big (it has the size of a standard servo) but it worth the money and should be good enough for your TT-01. Sure you can search for a secondhand Novak, Tekin, LRP but even on Ebay they are sold for 40-50 for a GT7 used. Besides of that you never know what happened to the esc and the reason why they sell it. A good alternative are the Mtroniks esc. But again the lower the price the lower turns the esc can handles!
Hope this info helps to make your decision somewhat easier.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:40 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

Thanks, it definitely helps. I've used an Mtroniks Tempo 11 before and it worked great. However the steering twitched when throttle reached about half way. On your m8 did you have any problem like that?
Old 12-23-2005, 07:08 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

http://www.rcdriver.com/articles/bud..._guide_1.shtml

Heres an article that goes over budget esc's

Hope this helps.

Drew
wcalaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 07:55 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to plucked_camel

I've tried the Moped ESC before and can say DO NOT BUY it,
It tried to burn the whole car with only a 23T motor. it literally melted.

I have since bought novak's and must say that they are well worth what you pay for.
Hope this helps in your choice.

Nick
plucked_camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 08:23 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks, it definitely helps. I've used an Mtroniks Tempo 11 before and it worked great. However the steering twitched when throttle reached about half way. On your m8 did you have any problem like that?
No, I have used it without any problem.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:16 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

Thanks everyone for the help. I'm definitely staying away from the moped. At this point, I'm not in a hurry for a new esc(still have my Mtroniks) so I'll look around for a good deal on a high end esc.
How's the GT7? How much better is the QC2 over the QC1? Would the QC1 be a good esc for a club racer/basher?
Thanks again everyone.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:48 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Maybe you should try another capicator on the motor to prevent this.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:30 AM   #12
Tech Initiate

You mean like a power capacitor?
Old 12-24-2005, 10:35 AM   #13
Tech Initiate

Did anyone have any problems with their qc1 when they were running it? I've heard some problems with people's QC2s burning up and stop working for no reason. Did the original quantum have that problem? Also what's the bec rating for the quantum competition 1(volts and amps)?
Thanks.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:52 AM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to anthony390

Quote:
You mean like a power capacitor?

its called a capacitor and for r/c cars it has the nickname of "Power Cap"
anthony390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 09:00 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I would recommend the duratrax intellispeed forward/reverse 8 turn motor limit.At $79.99 I've been happy with it for over a year with no problems.
speedemall is offline   Reply With Quote