Wheel well cutting

Old 06-14-2016, 12:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Wheel well cutting

How do you do it?? Looking for some tips
Old 06-14-2016, 01:18 AM
Tech Adept

Use a compass cutter. When painting leave the center of the wheel wells clear, so that you can see the axis when fitting the body on the chassis. Then just pin the compass cutter to that point and cut a nice round wheel well. Use a slightly bigger diameter than the wheels.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Compass cutter or in a pinch draw around a wheel and cut slightly larger with curved scissors. When using a compass cutter 5mm diameter larger than the wheel is usually good enough to provide enough clearance.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:47 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Schumacher wheel jig, I love it, I have tried the compass cutter in the past which is a pain in the ass, really happy with it like many others
http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Old_Ca...i-3/U4806.html
Old 06-14-2016, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

The schumacher jig only helps you draw the cut line, but not to actually cut it. In fact I don't see why you can't make your own out of cardboard or whatever instead of paying money for something that doesn't do anything else.

I use a compass cutter, it is slow, but it yields the best results.

The trick is to not try to cut through the shell, but to scratch it, so spin the compass so the back of the blade is doing the work. That way, the point of the blade will scratch progressively deeper into the plastic until it goes through. Don't push too hard, let the point do the work. I recommend taping the wheel arch with masking tape beforehand just in case.

To find the centre of the wheel well, just put the shell on, turn on your radio and with the wheels straight push the shell hard enough against the end of the axle. I actually hit it sharply but not hard with a soft screwdriver handle. It will leave a clear dent/mark. The rear wheels don't need the radio on.

You don't really need to finish the cut, but I do round both edges (inner and outer) of the cut with fine sandpaper. That way it's less likely the shell will catch in the wheel. I usually have only about 2mm of wheel clearance and never had problems with body stuck in the wheels plus it looks really schmick.

Last edited by niznai; 06-14-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Mount the body on the car with tires on the car, then line up another tire on the outside of the body and trace a line around it. Then cut around the outside of the line for a little bit of extra clearance. Then use a standing drum (link below) to make perfect round edges.

http://racepf.com/accessories/better...-sanding-drum/
Old 06-14-2016, 08:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I mount the body & mark the center. Then use one of these..

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Compass-Cu...ingMethod=p13n

Trim with scissors as needed.