R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-16-2006, 11:35 PM   #121
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576
Tex1 has nice topic there...... let me calculate mine according to my needs :

NIMH
IB4200 $60.00 x 3 cells = $180 ---> ( not sure, I heard is even lower )
GFX charger $380 x 2 = $760
Novak Smart Tray $90
Total Cost = $1,030.

LIPO
Platinum Lipo $135 x 3 cells = $405
Advantage Charger $180 x 2 = $360
Total Cost = $765

Hmmm..... not bad, right ?
Do you really NEED two GFX chargers to charge your 3 batteries??
You can have two pulsar2's for less than 400
Therefore your three packs, two pulsars and a smart tray costs:
$670 (considering $400 for the two pulsars, it would be less more like $360)

Can you run motors with the Advantage charger?
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:08 AM   #122
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Rick Howart - Just curious to know if there are any plans of having other cofigurations (or dimensions) for Orion's Platinum LiPo packs?! Specifically one that would fit saddle pack configurations in some kits. Many thanks!
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:41 AM   #123
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitCrew
Making a direct comparison by just switching the batteries isn't really fair because the weight of the LiPo's are so much less. So of course the car is going to go much faster, and get their quicker. If you really want to compare apples to apples, you gotta add weight to the car so it equals the weight of the car with a Nimh pack in it.
You do have a point. And some of the speed differnece could be attributed to the weight differences between the two packs. But the fact is, assuming no other changes and equal weights, a LiPo will run much faster than an NiMH.

For many (not pointed to you, just in general) this is difficult to understand. Why would it run faster when the voltage ratings are similar? We know that when youhave two packs of NiMh that the one with higher voltage or lower internal resistance will run quicker. We have become trained to look at numbers.

LiPos get their advantage because they are much more efficient that NiMH. Their internal resistance is MUCH lower which means more power to your motor, and less power loss due to heat.

In my opinion, the worst thing about LiPos is the fact that once you use one, you will never want to use anything else again.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:44 AM   #124
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTH
Rick Howart - Just curious to know if there are any plans of having other cofigurations (or dimensions) for Orion's Platinum LiPo packs?! Specifically one that would fit saddle pack configurations in some kits. Many thanks!
The way LiPos are constructed, there are limits to dimensions. That is, some of the basic shapes are unavoidable. I guess it is possible to use two separate lower capacity packs wired in parallel to make it work.

However our research indicates that saddlepack or offset battery cars will become obsolete. You will see no new designs that are incapable of handling LiPos as they are now.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:54 AM   #125
Tech Apprentice

>>>>However our research indicates that saddlepack or offset battery cars will become obsolete. You will see no new designs that are incapable of handling LiPos as they are now.<<<<

Rivk, does this include 1/12 scale? Or oval? Any plans for a 4 cell compatable (voltage and size) LiPo?

E-Mail: [email protected]
www.JPHRacing.com
JPH Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:58 AM   #126
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitCrew
Do you really NEED two GFX chargers to charge your 3 batteries??
You can have two pulsar2's for less than 400
Therefore your three packs, two pulsars and a smart tray costs:
$670 (considering $400 for the two pulsars, it would be less more like $360)

Can you run motors with the Advantage charger?
Actually that's what I have now 2 pulsar and 1 gfx. I'm thinking to get rid off the pulsar and buy 1 more gfx.

I need two chargers because I can charge and discharge at the same time.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:04 AM   #127
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH Racing
>>>>However our research indicates that saddlepack or offset battery cars will become obsolete. You will see no new designs that are incapable of handling LiPos as they are now.<<<<

Rivk, does this include 1/12 scale? Or oval? Any plans for a 4 cell compatable (voltage and size) LiPo?
4-cell is difficult. I am not the LiPo expert so I can't say this ofr sure (and it may change), but the LiPo contruction as it is now will allow for packs with voltages in 3.7v increments. So the closest thing we could get to 4-cell is a 3.7v pack (rather than 4.8).
Old 01-17-2006, 09:28 AM   #128
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576
I need two chargers because I can charge and discharge at the same time.
Off-topic, but why don't you sell two chargers and get a proper discharger, that can discharge at 20-30 amps?
Old 01-18-2006, 12:41 AM   #129
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
The way LiPos are constructed, there are limits to dimensions. That is, some of the basic shapes are unavoidable. I guess it is possible to use two separate lower capacity packs wired in parallel to make it work.

However our research indicates that saddlepack or offset battery cars will become obsolete. You will see no new designs that are incapable of handling LiPos as they are now.

Is this "research" just based on Touring Cars?! What about Off-Road kits? With 4WD growing and considering that all the 4WD Off-Road kits that made the A-Main at the 2005 Off-Road Worlds used saddle-pack type configuration (BJ4, Yokomo, Durango, XX-4), it seems the trend is actually the opposite of what your "research" indicates?! Furthermore, the ROAR National Champion in 4WD (the X-5) also doesn't use the typical side-by-side battery placement. So if anything, the improved performance and handling of these vehicles seem to be greatly affected by the trend of placing more weight towards the rear for more rear-end traction.... hence the saddle-pack type of configuration.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:31 AM   #130
Tech Elite

Quote:
Is this "research" just based on Touring Cars?! What about Off-Road kits? With 4WD growing and considering that all the 4WD Off-Road kits that made the A-Main at the 2005 Off-Road Worlds used saddle-pack type configuration (BJ4, Yokomo, Durango, XX-4), it seems the trend is actually the opposite of what your "research" indicates?! Furthermore, the ROAR National Champion in 4WD (the X-5) also doesn't use the typical side-by-side battery placement. So if anything, the improved performance and handling of these vehicles seem to be greatly affected by the trend of placing more weight towards the rear for more rear-end traction.... hence the saddle-pack type of configuration.
Unfortunately, 4wd off road is the smallest of the electric disciplines. When you consider how many 2wd and Truck kits (plus RTR versions) are sold compared to 4wd competition kits, it may be difficult to make batteries for these cars. The fact they do not share the same configuration makes it even more difficult.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:05 AM   #131
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Unfortunately, 4wd off road is the smallest of the electric disciplines. When you consider how many 2wd and Truck kits (plus RTR versions) are sold compared to 4wd competition kits, it may be difficult to make batteries for these cars. The fact they do not share the same configuration makes it even more difficult.

You are right in saying 4WD is the smallest segment of the electric 1/10th scale segment (only in America that is). I suppose LiPo battery manufacturers and distributors would not consider it a worthwhile investment at this point. Though LiPo packs seem very promising and impressive from what I have heard and read.... it's unfortunate that in this case at least it may not even be made available for the newer kits in the fastest R/C Off-Road Racing Class.... Such a shame.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:11 AM   #132
Tech Initiate

Can I use this Lipo with Duratrax ICE ?

Thanks for the comment.
rcmnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:49 AM   #133
Tech Adept

If it is a Lipo compatible charger, it will work !
WorldCup2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 03:30 AM   #134
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Is it true that that...

lipos don't like to be repeaked? I'm considering getting a pack, but I'm worried about going beyond the voltage cut off. I hate to ruin a $135 pack. Off hand, does anyone know if the GTB has a voltage cut off?
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:13 AM   #135
Tech Elite

Quote:
You are right in saying 4WD is the smallest segment of the electric 1/10th scale segment (only in America that is). I suppose LiPo battery manufacturers and distributors would not consider it a worthwhile investment at this point. Though LiPo packs seem very promising and impressive from what I have heard and read.... it's unfortunate that in this case at least it may not even be made available for the newer kits in the fastest R/C Off-Road Racing Class.... Such a shame.
Don't worry. The technology is ever-changing and there will surely be changes to battery construction in the future. Who knows, by the time LiPos are the accepted and legalized for electric racing, there may be new 4wd chassis that can accept them as is.

We are not ignoring 4wd. It is still my favorite class and I feel it can become as popular a racing class as touring. But we must conquer other obstacles (general LiPo acceptance) before we conquer this one.