R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Platinum Lipo (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/94778-platinum-lipo.html)

AdrianM 11-26-2007 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by MarkBrown (Post 3906069)
Am I correct in thinking that for long-term (>1 month) storage of a lipo it is OK to charge the pack fully before storage? Does it say this somewhere on the Team Orion site? I'm asking because I noticed an article in Car Action that says you should store with 50% charge, which seems like a fussy thing to have to do.

For less than a month its ok for more than a month make sure its 50-80% charged. I killed some of my kokam airplane batteries after charging them fully and storing them that way for 6 months.

PDM 11-26-2007 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by linger (Post 3658536)
...I once got into a discussion about cell balancing with the Engineers at a battery manufacturer. They were saying that most of the cell balancers for the RC market do not work correctly. I didn't understand what they meant at first, but after spending months trying to understand how commercial cell balancing chips work - I think I finally get it.

Linger, by my experience some material is not calibrated as it should be.

I bought two Graupner equalizers and the two of them were putting the cells non equalised, and that is a acidente waiting to happen in a pack.

I throw them to the garbage and I bought a FlightPower equalizer, far more expensive, but at the end, far cheaper as now it is doing the job as it should be done

bmmer701 04-24-2008 07:38 AM

hi just want to ask if anyone have tried heating their orion platinums and orion 3600 before running their heats? any advantages? thanks

also, is it safe to heat it before you use it?

jla8874 04-24-2008 07:46 AM

How long should it take to fully charge 4900mAh? I have a Trakpower 4900 and charge with a Hyperion EOS 5i at 1C and it takes 70-80 minutes which seems too long to me. Is this about normal or not?

CCristo 04-24-2008 08:06 AM

Just doing the math, a 4900mah (4.9ah) battery will take 1 hour to charge at 1c. With balancing 70-80minutes seem right

Joel Lagace 04-24-2008 08:12 AM

@ 4.9amps it will take 50minutes to get to 80% charge Stat or 8.4v... from there your 4.9 amps will start dropping down to 0amps as the last 20% of capacity goes into the pack.... if your running stock your good to go at 80%... that last 20% or 820mahogany will push you into the 60-70 minute mark.

personally i charge my 3600 at 6.5amps, i would be charging at 8amps on any hi cap lipo personally. some are going with 12amps with good results

NiMo 04-24-2008 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by jla8874 (Post 4384115)
How long should it take to fully charge 4900mAh? I have a Trakpower 4900 and charge with a Hyperion EOS 5i at 1C and it takes 70-80 minutes which seems too long to me. Is this about normal or not?

Trackpower 4900
from LiPo cut off pint to FULL charge (charger cuts off) takes about 85-95 minutes at 4A.
A top up after a 5 munite run (Pro-Stock 10.5BL) takes about 25 mins to charger cut off point

tc5basher 04-24-2008 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by linger (Post 3658536)
Kuzo,
I once got into a discussion about cell balancing with the Engineers at a battery manufacturer. They were saying that most of the cell balancers for the RC market do not work correctly. I didn't understand what they meant at first, but after spending months trying to understand how commercial cell balancing chips work - I think I finally get it.

Let's say you have a two cell pack where both cells are fully charged 100%. Even though the manufacturer matches the cells prior to assembly, no two cells are exactly alike. Assume you partially discharge the pack by taking out 1.0 Ah out the pack. Both cells with the same initial voltage will probably be at slightly different voltages during and after the discharge. If you charge and put 1.0 Ah back into the both cells - they both reach 100% charge perfectly.

Now assume the same scenario, where you start with both cells 100% charged and you once again take out 1.0 Ah. This time you attach a balancer that bleeds off current from the higher cell and now the voltages are matched. Now you remove the balancer and recharge the pack. The cell that was brought down by the balancer is now not fully charged and the cell that was at a lower voltage during balancing is now overcharged. The cell balancer actually created a cell mismatch!

The bottom line is that passively balancing cells by forcing a matched voltage of partially charged pack is actually useless.

The balancer should only be used when fully charging the pack. It's meant to bleed off current to specific cell only when any cell reaches over 4.20V/cell. This ensures each cell gets a full charge and no cell gets overcharged.

Checking for cells in/out of balance with a multimeter should only be done when the pack is fully charged.

I have been using the Hyperion E606i charger since it the day it came out.
It has a BUILT-IN Balancer. Since it balances as it charges, I have never had and out of balance pack in over 500 charges!
For $149 is the best deal out there.