R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-16-2006, 10:04 AM   #106
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan
Rick-Have you guys tried putting one of these platimum LiPos in a Losi JRXS. I have a report from a fellow that could not get it in his car. It did not reach the point of touching the foam pads.
I personally have not done so. But we have sent batteries to those manufacturers who have requested them (including Team Losi) to check fitment and for consideration when designing new cars and to make required modifications to existing cars.

Todd Hodge has been playing with a pack. By contacting Team Losi, a driver may be able to find out exactly what needs to be done to make it fit in the existing car.

Last edited by Rick Hohwart; 01-16-2006 at 10:19 AM.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:09 AM   #107
Tech Initiate

How is the handling of a LiPo in a B4? I would like to know if I need to make any huge changes to my buggy before I buy a LiPo. Any out of the ordinary changes I need to make?

Thanks
Vahe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:18 AM   #108
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahe
How is the handling of a LiPo in a B4? I would like to know if I need to make any huge changes to my buggy before I buy a LiPo. Any out of the ordinary changes I need to make?

Thanks
You will need to make no changes for a B4 other than possibly changing the foam blocks to ensure a tight fit. Ryan Cavalieri and Joe Pillars have been using them in their B4s during SoCal Raceway club races.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:22 AM   #109
Tech Initiate

Thank's Rick
Vahe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:11 AM   #110
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

Rick-Thanks. I wil relay the information.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:54 AM   #111
Tech Addict

Charokee wins the award of longest 1st post!!!
jhigga15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:13 PM   #112
Tech Addict

I think that this battery will fall out of the tourning cars b/c it does not sit in the battery slots
jhigga15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:14 PM   #113
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

These packs should work perfectly in my XXX4. It is a little battery side heavy with NiMH cells, so this will be good. Put the Lipo together with my schultz/lehner combo and I will be able to run around the dirt for a long time.

Quote:
I think that this battery will fall out of the tourning cars b/c it does not sit in the battery slots
plate carbon chassis cars may have some trouble, but there are some easy ways to fix it. Cars with tub style chassis will work great (TC3/4, XXXS, Ta-04, ta05 ..... etc). I have seen people buy several battery straps and glue a pack to each one. Seems to work fairly well.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:17 PM   #114
Tech Adept

For stock brushed motor racing wouldn't the Lipo be at a disadvantage due to it's slightly lower voltage when charged? For instance my race time peak voltage is 8.5-9.1 volts depending on the pack.
mguebert69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:03 PM   #115
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is there a way some sort of cut-off can be attached? (Like the built in Low Voltage Cutoff with FMA's Scorpion packs?). At $125 a pop, it would be good to know when to stop driving.

Also, what if you have a two battery setup (i.e., eMaxx, other monster trucks). Wouldn't it be harder to notice if the "truck has started to slow"? I mean, if it slows, by that time, wouldn't it be possible for one pack to be weakening, and the other already over discharged? In which case, a Low Voltage Cutoff would be a good idea...
Alfalfameister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:08 PM   #116
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mguebert69
For stock brushed motor racing wouldn't the Lipo be at a disadvantage due to it's slightly lower voltage when charged? For instance my race time peak voltage is 8.5-9.1 volts depending on the pack.
The R/C car LiPos have a higher nominal voltage and lower IR's so they will make any motor go faster. Peak voltage is not important.

For normal non-lipo batteries the lower the battery peaks the better. This means the internal resistance is low and the pack can better give up its energy.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:51 PM   #117
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I just got one...and according to the instructions...yeah, you can wait until it starts to slow...but you're better off if you say stop at 15 minutes or so and charge it, rather than taking it all the way to the limit. I mean, you get some pretty crazy run time out of it, so there's no reason to take it to the very edge.

I have it in my ZX-5 and it fits great. I just turned the outer battery tabs around and they fit the pack like a glove. I'm going to get another one.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:58 PM   #118
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We began testing them last week in our Masters class. All I can say is WOW. Stock buggy or truck felt like a rocket compared to our race packs. Ran the Batts for two qualifiers before we charged them, and no drop off at the end of the second heat. I'm Sold even though I can't get my current Advantage charger updated for lipo's.
Mark O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:54 PM   #119
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfalfameister
Is there a way some sort of cut-off can be attached? (Like the built in Low Voltage Cutoff with FMA's Scorpion packs?). At $125 a pop, it would be good to know when to stop driving.

Also, what if you have a two battery setup (i.e., eMaxx, other monster trucks). Wouldn't it be harder to notice if the "truck has started to slow"? I mean, if it slows, by that time, wouldn't it be possible for one pack to be weakening, and the other already over discharged? In which case, a Low Voltage Cutoff would be a good idea...
Your best bet is to use an ESC with an adjustable voltage cutoff.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:26 PM   #120
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
The R/C car LiPos have a higher nominal voltage and lower IR's so they will make any motor go faster. Peak voltage is not important.

For normal non-lipo batteries the lower the battery peaks the better. This means the internal resistance is low and the pack can better give up its energy.
I understand what your saying, but the LiPo's nominal voltage is 7.4...

Even after I run a 5 min race in stock sedan, and start discharging my pack, say on my pulsar at 10 amps, just so I can see numbers, the pack is still putting out over 8 volts (at 10 amps after a 5 minute race). I have to believe that the pack is putting out at least close to 8 for the first few minutes in stock.....

Making a direct comparison by just switching the batteries isn't really fair because the weight of the LiPo's are so much less. So of course the car is going to go much faster, and get their quicker. If you really want to compare apples to apples, you gotta add weight to the car so it equals the weight of the car with a Nimh pack in it.

Maybe the rules for weight will be reduced though, allowing a ligher car. Then it would be sweet!!
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote