Platinum Lipo

Old 07-22-2007, 08:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks kuzo
Old 07-22-2007, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Ive been charging two 4800's at 2c for the last 2 months with no problems. They don't get any hotter. Just so everyone new reading this knows though, this will only reduce the amount of time it takes to charge and in no way improves performance of the battery on the track.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
Ive been charging two 4800's at 2c for the last 2 months with no problems. They don't get any hotter. Just so everyone new reading this knows though, this will only reduce the amount of time it takes to charge and in no way improves performance of the battery on the track.
How long does a full charge take at 2C if you let it go to completion?
Old 07-22-2007, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

If 1C takes an hour then a charge at twice the capacity should take about 30 mins.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlueBird-sr
If 1C takes an hour then a charge at twice the capacity should take about 30 mins.
In theory yes but with the way the charger lowers the charge rate as soon as the battery hits 8.4V, I'm not sure and I wanted an actual time. I've heard it's not a linear scale.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

I haven't timed it but it is significantly less than the 1c rate. If I had to guess I'd say 30-40 minutes from "empty"
Old 08-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Xray T2

I just picked up an original T2 and a platinum Lipo...can you guys point me in the right direction to make it fit on this chasis???
Old 08-16-2007, 05:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

www.nexusracing.net
Old 08-16-2007, 06:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Thanks for the link to Nexus but it is for the 007 not the original T2, I have been there and done that. I am looking for the way to do it for the ORIGINAL T2
Old 08-24-2007, 09:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

just an update on my platinum

ive had mine for almost a year. for the first 3 months that i had it, i used it weekly in club races and practice. just 1 battery, charged back to back several times a day, running 27T, 23T, or 19T.

then i switched to offroad early this year. i havent used the pack since jan or feb '07, but i did store it full. i used it in one club race this july, it ran just like new. no maintennance, no balancing, just topping off in between heats with my yokomo charger (ice clone)

this morning, just for the heck of it, i checked the voltage of the pack to see if it is still balanced. im using an ordinary digital voltmeter (im not sure if this is the most accurate, but ive been using it for some years now, and still works fine)

the voltage of each pair of cells is exactly 4.011v

many months, or hopefully years, from now, if i need to replace my platinum with a new one, it will definetly be an ORION LIPO this is one of the best items ive bought for rc

but i do plan to get a $29.00 balancer from tower its only rated at 3 amps (i charge at 4.8amps) but i dont think this will be a problem if i do balance on a weekly, or monthly basis. though 3 amp charging will take longer
Old 08-24-2007, 11:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by marvi
just an update on my platinum

ive had mine for almost a year. for the first 3 months that i had it, i used it weekly in club races and practice. just 1 battery, charged back to back several times a day, running 27T, 23T, or 19T.

then i switched to offroad early this year. i havent used the pack since jan or feb '07, but i did store it full. i used it in one club race this july, it ran just like new. no maintennance, no balancing, just topping off in between heats with my yokomo charger (ice clone)

this morning, just for the heck of it, i checked the voltage of the pack to see if it is still balanced. im using an ordinary digital voltmeter (im not sure if this is the most accurate, but ive been using it for some years now, and still works fine)

the voltage of each pair of cells is exactly 4.011v

many months, or hopefully years, from now, if i need to replace my platinum with a new one, it will definetly be an ORION LIPO this is one of the best items ive bought for rc

but i do plan to get a $29.00 balancer from tower its only rated at 3 amps (i charge at 4.8amps) but i dont think this will be a problem if i do balance on a weekly, or monthly basis. though 3 amp charging will take longer
Which balancer are you looking at? I finally picked up the Orion one and simply use it in passive mode.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcarmchl
Thanks for the link to Nexus but it is for the 007 not the original T2, I have been there and done that. I am looking for the way to do it for the ORIGINAL T2
You'll have to dremel the passenger rear bulkhead into a shape that will accomodate the 4800. Be sure to use a shorter topdeck-to- bulkhead screw back there also. In addition you'll need to take some material off from the four battery corners to allow the 4800 to sit down flat on the chassis. Take off a little at a time so you don't go to far.

The last step isn't necessary, but highly reccomended in my opinion. Don't use teh battery brace (you'll have to shimit up if you do use it). Use tape. I found even when I spent time getting the car close to legal weight, AND balanced side to side, the battery brace was still causing a nasty tweak. Thvn if I shimmed it up enough to not touch at all, the battery was too lose and would come loose. So save yourself the headaches, and use tape. You won't have to shim anything, and you'll know its not your strap if you do get a tweak.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kuzo
Which balancer are you looking at? I finally picked up the Orion one and simply use it in passive mode.
this one equinox lipo balancer

the included harness is rated for 3 amps. to charge at 6 amps, i have to get a different, higher rated harness but since ill be doing the balancing on a weekly or monthly basis, i guess 3 amps for balancing is OK. and i also need to modify the harness for it to work on the platinum
Attached Thumbnails Platinum Lipo-equinox-balancer.jpg  
Old 09-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

This is an odd one. Ran a Platinum down to the GTB cutoff today. Grabbed the multimeter for a quick balance check - off by .03V. Alright, I finally can balance one. Put it on the Ice for a bit and put in maybe 35% at 8A while I went to dig out my unused Orion balancer. Stopped charge and checked again - both cells exact. Finished charge @ 8A and checked again - perfect again.

The pack ended up balanced after normal charge. Damnit I'm never going to use this balancer I bought.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:41 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kuzo
This is an odd one. Ran a Platinum down to the GTB cutoff today. Grabbed the multimeter for a quick balance check - off by .03V. Alright, I finally can balance one. Put it on the Ice for a bit and put in maybe 35% at 8A while I went to dig out my unused Orion balancer. Stopped charge and checked again - both cells exact. Finished charge @ 8A and checked again - perfect again.

The pack ended up balanced after normal charge. Damnit I'm never going to use this balancer I bought.
Have you tried plugging in the balancer to see if it thinks the cells are out of balance? I imagine it reads the same thing as the multimeter, but who knows, maybe it's got some trick up its sleeve.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.